Here's my 5'tallx5'deepx5'wide "grow frame" ($18.00+Mylar)

Hello everyone. I just found this site and I thought I'd share with you a very inexpensive yet effective way to get more yield.

I see grow tents that sell online for $400.00 and I marvel. I've constructed a 1" schedule 50 PVC frame that can be draped with Mylar which creates a very effective space and you can do it for $18.85+the cost of the Mylar (you can get mylar really cheaply on Ebay, etc) I bought a 50''x50' roll for $40.00 from HTG, so if you want to get technical I have $58.85 in this structure.

Here's the list of materials that you'll need to make it 5x5x5, you can get this at any Hardware Store, Lowe's or Home Depot:

(5) 10' pieces of 1" PVC pipe 11.90
(8) schedule 40 1" 90* elbows 3.52
(4) schedule 40 1" Tee's 2.36

Total with tax = $18.85

Some places will even cut the pipe for you. I had the guy cut all pieces in 1/2which made (10) 5' pieces. I took (2) of those pieces and had him cut 1' off of each end. So in the end I had (8) 5' pieces, (2) 3' pieces, and (4) 1' pieces.

Anyway, I'll add some pictures and some direction. Make no mistake, I do not claim that this is better than a grow tent but it is certainly a way to maximize your space especially if you're working with more than 1 light and 10-20 plants. I'll also show you how this design lets you easily change the size of the frame. I'll start adding pics in my next post so as not to make this one time out.

Hello everyone. I just found this site and I thought I'd share with you a very inexpensive yet effective way to get more yield.

I see grow tents that sell online for $400.00 and I marvel. I've constructed a 1" schedule 50 PVC frame that can be draped with Mylar which creates a very effective space and you can do it for $18.85+the cost of the Mylar (you can get mylar really cheaply on Ebay, etc) I bought a 50''x50' roll for $40.00 from HTG, so if you want to get technical I have $58.85 in this structure.

Here's the list of materials that you'll need to make it 5x5x5, you can get this at any Hardware Store, Lowe's or Home Depot:

(5) 10' pieces of 1" PVC pipe 11.90
(8) schedule 40 1" 90* elbows 3.52
(4) schedule 40 1" Tee's 2.36

Total with tax = $18.85

Some places will even cut the pipe for you. I had the guy cut all pieces in 1/2which made (10) 5' pieces. I took (2) of those pieces and had him cut 1' off of each end. So in the end I had (8) 5' pieces, (2) 3' pieces, and (4) 1' pieces.

Anyway, I'll add some pictures and some direction. Make no mistake, I do not claim that this is better than a grow tent but it is certainly a way to maximize your space especially if you're working with more than 1 light and 10-20 plants. I'll also show you how this design lets you easily change the size of the frame. I'll start adding pics in my next post so as not to make this one time out.
Anticipating your visual stimuli regarding this project :popcorn:

OK.. so here's the problem I was faced with; I had (1) 600watt HPS and a grow room that is 8' wide by 8' tall x 7' deep. I didnt want to spend the money on a grow cab but I wanted to confine the light as I knew I was losing valuble lumens. I knew my 600 wasnt enough light to utilize this entire space and I didnt want to simply cover the walls in Mylar. I knew I had to 'close the walls in' so to speak and I figured that 5x5x5 would be ideal, but how could I inexpensivley and effectivley get reflection in this size space?

Here's a photoshop diagram of the frame. bear with me on this as I know it looks a bit confusing:

frame-photoshop.png

Here are pictures of the actual frame. I know they are weak but my plants are sleeping and my Mylar frame is already put together so the pics don't do this tutorial justice. If there's enough interest I'll take more detailed pics later.

Notice that you actually build two identical pieces and simply connect them with 90's and tee's. The 3' sections in the rear easily dictate the overall width of the unit. You simply drape Mylar over the frame and you have a very effective space. Notice how I position my light right at the top of the unit so as not to lose light. I hope this helps you guys, even if it's a little. Enjoy.

frame2-light-position.png

front-profile.png

back-tee.png

front-90.png

front-to-back.png

And finally....the space after it's been enclosed. I just threw this together yesterday and I plan on spiffing it up and making it look really professional which will be super easy. It's an easy way to maximize your space.

very-rough-but-effective.png

Good idea. Like me, I assume you have a light tight room that box is going in. I use a similar design for my flower area..

Hanging Mylar Box Tent Using Cheap PVC

If one used B/W poly, with your style frame, it could certainly be made into a light tight box on it's own.

I made a light tight veg box by simply hanging B/W poly from ceiling to floor in a corner. That way, I only had to hang two sides. ;)

veg-room.jpg

:peace:

Harry

Back
Top Bottom