homemade carbon filters?

5285E100-11E5-44F1-A754-F7D6B438F217.jpg

This is my prototype filter it's 5 " diameter by 6" long and packed with a kilo of activated carbon, will it work or not, I'm in two minds wether to try it or not. Ta

I'm not able to tell with the given info ... if the air is forced through the carbon, it should. Dunno how well it will work ... what does the interior look like ?

The wall around Is about a mm thick wth two mesh plates that are tacked onto 5 inch tube 5mm thick, that is 1" wide....so a hose clip will fasten on. There is a 4mm threaded rod going all the way thru with a nut on either end tightend to compress the carbon.

i have had these for close to 3 years now,they get a regular "service" never had any smell troubles,only tools needed are time and wire cutters

connected to a hydrofarm 6 inch,pushing air through it,been running24/7

filter115.JPG

connected to a 4 inch hydrofarm
filter27.JPG

Looks good, I'm venting thru my lights so I was gonna run hose from one light to another then to my inline fan that is connected to my filter which is connected to a hose venting into a old duct running up the house and out thru the roof, my question would be if I was sucking thru my lights and out how would this be done with a filter like yours? Ta.

If your whole setup is completely air-tight with no leaks, then you can put the filter at the beginning of the ventilation system like it appears c526 has done. However, if there is any chance that unfiltered air can leak into the system, then the filter should be the last thing in the ventilation system like yours wufo and while you can place the fan before the filter, you get better dynamic airflow and higher CFMs pulling air through a filter rather than pushing air through it.

I know I will have air leaks ,and yeah I know it's better to pull air thru the filter I don't know why I said I was putting the fan then the filter. Thanks u cleard that up for me. Ta

this is at the end of my "flower"room i have 2 600 hps in air cooled hoods---light--duct-light-duct-fan-silencer-duct/filter
around 10-12ft in lenght

pushing/pulling??? i cant tell the difference,i have had 2 fans 2 rooms going for along time 1 pushing 1 pulling and it doesnt seem to make much difference in my set-up,my fans are speed controlled and never run at capacity,maybe thats why??

pushing/pulling??? i cant tell the difference,i have had 2 fans 2 rooms going for along time 1 pushing 1 pulling and it doesnt seem to make much difference in my set-up,my fans are speed controlled and never run at capacity,maybe thats why??

The difference may be subtle and need to be measured using air pressure and/or CFM gauges/meters, but the turbulence created by pushing air into an obstacle makes it less efficient than pulling air through an obstacle.

I understand the principle that it's harder to push something rather than replacing the air that been sucked away if u get what I've said :)

oh for sure guys, I understand. last night i turned both rooms up to full,i did notice a little smell leakage from the "push"room
what I did notice,within an hour or so, the fan in that room got hotter than hell,not burning hot,but after 3o seconds it was uncomfortable to hold

thanks for keeping me thinking:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom