How do u tell you're light is too old?

Fattis-Rattis

Hey, i've had a HPS 400w light set up for about 6 months now.

starting a few days ago, i've noticed that the light is flickering a hair.
i have my light schedualled bloom from 10pm to 10am they shut off. well, today, it shut off about an hour earlier.... about 9 am, instead of 10.... i checked my timer, had the correct time and the turn off time was still the same.... why did my light turn off?

i did just recently expanded my bloom into the spare bedroom, larger space, and i wanted to make my veg a little bigger as well....

question:
1: what are the signs of a HPS light going kur-puts?
2. how long do u all typically keep you bulbs?
3. when is it good to replace your bulbs?
4. hypothedically, what happens when your bulb goes out, is that how fires occure?

Thank you for your time, and advise =)
-Fattis

Odd. Which bulb are you using (brand)? Which ballast are you using (digital/brand)? Is the ballast just as new as the bulb (6mo)? Is there any possibility that the timer is using daylight savings & the date isn't properly set?

An hps bulb can easily go 12-18months (if not 24+ mo) while maintaining lumen output. This assumes a quality bulb, ballast & no digi.

The most ideal way to determine bulb maintenance is with a quality light meter. You would measure brand new & then periodically. Generally, once you drop below 80% of maximum rated lumen output, the bulb should be replaced. 18 months is just as good a measurement though. And the bulb will simply burn out & not fire anymore (eventually). It won't explode or catch afire. Best brah!

hey gio, thanks for the reply.

Ballast is a 400W 120/240v Convertible (HPS/MH) Ballast
yes, it is the same age as the bulb (aprox 6 Mo)

Bulb i'm using is actually MH, (my fault, i thought it was HPS, my ballast is able to switch to one or the other). Bulb that is being used is an Agrosun bulb.

Timer i won't be able to look at the detals until the lights are on. it's night time atm. I don't believe that there's a date. when the lights turned off this morning, i did check the time (which was current), and i checked the "off time," (which was still schedualled @ 10).

I found it odd too, wasn't sure if these were signs of worse to come? or if others run into same issuse - bulb flickering a hair (common/uncommon? "ish").

lol, i just thought of a half dozen or more "possible" causes, but i won't be able to test out half of them until later tonight... I'm wondering if my ballest is pumping enough to keep everything lit, or i could possibly have too much wattage pumping in the room.....

time to go fishing, and relax until later, eh? LOLz :ganjamon: :Rasta:

It could be as simple as the bulb going bad, or having a bad one to start. I'm aware that digital ballasts have beam flickering problems due to rf interference, or some other issue associated. This has had the effect of lessening the bulb life. If it just burned out (new bulb-easiest issue) then it won't fire tonight with lights on. Then just get a new bulb. I'm sure you've checked this but the only other first thought was that the switch was set to hps vs mh, which would throw a higher charge to fire the bulb & run it, which would allow for the bulb to burn out fast. Let me know as curious. Best!

well, i know it's been a while, i just wanted to give it some time and test a few things with the light set up. everything seems to be working back tip top. i've since then bought a light meter, now i can test my readings.

i guess it was a one time fluke? :slide:

anyways, thanks for your input :)

Well damn it, problem came back.

had to run to the hydro store this morning to pick up a few things, and talked with the people there. the owner of the shop seemed to know exactly what the prob was... *crosses fingers* said it could be the ballist, a "whatever" part is going out and it was a simple $30 dollar, 5 minute fix. if that isn't the prob, then it's the bulb. not too bad of a biggy in the dept, was wanting to get a HPS bulb.

going to head back up there in the morning and get that taken care of.
wish me luck!

guess it's more of a blog, eh? lol anyone reading?

Back
Top Bottom