How to figure proper cfm for your room- a math problem

Stretchtastic

This isn't my equation I found it looking for the proper cfm to suit my new tent and lights. Worked well enough to keep my temps 75 and lower the whole flower period.

Q = V x P x C x dT

where:
Q = Amount of lighting (kW)
V = Volume of air being ventilated (m3/s)
P = Density of air (assume 1.2 kg/m3)
C = Specific heat capacity of air (assume 1.02 kJ/kgK)
dT = Temperature difference between ambient and growspace air in degC

You can use this to determine what the temperature rise in your space will be (dT), or given a desired temperature rise you can use it to work out how much ventilation you will require (V)

To get from CFM to m3/s divide the CFM by 2119.

Examples
Here are some examples of how you could use the formula in three different ways, each using the same basic figures for clarity.

What temperature am I likely to get in my growspace?
Assume: Lighting = 400W (0.4kW), ventilation = 240m3/hr (0.067m3/s) and temperature of air entering room = 21degC

Q = V x P x C x dT
=> dT = Q / (V x P x C)
=> dT = 0.4 / (0.067 x 1.2 x 1.02)
=> dT = 4.87, i.e. 21 + 5 = 26degC in growspace

How much ventilation am I likely to need?
Assume: Lighting = 400W (0.4kW), temperature of air entering room = 21degC and temperature of growspace to be no more that 26degC

Q = V x P x C x dT
=> V = Q / (P x C x dT)
=> V = 0.4 / (1.2 x 1.02 x (26-21))
=> V = 0.065 m3/s i.e. 240 m3/hr

What is the most lighting I can put into my growspace?
Assume: Ventilation = 240m3/hr (0.067m3/s), temperature of air entering room = 21degC, temperature of growspace to be no more that 26degC

Q = V x P x C x dT
Q = 0.067 x 1.2 x 1.02 x (26-21)
Q = 0.41 kW i.e. 400 W

So that's it, once you get used to using it its very simple really, Just stuff the formula and figures in a spreadsheet and let it do the work.

This is a Good Starting point, just out of curiousity where did you get this from? :) Spread sheets are very helpful for breaking everything down before you even start, because you want to protect yourself from as many obsticles as possible. I have a little trouble dealing with the spread sheets, i definately make it more defficult for myself. There's definately a way to assign collums into equations without the pain staking steps, I just haven't found it yet. But anyways Thanks for the info ^^

420magazine.com should add this to the grow FAQs - great stuff

Can't really remeber where i got it. I think international canagrophy. Sorry on the spelling prolly spelt it wrong. But i'm pretty sure thats where i got it. Maybe gardens cure. i just typed proper cfm ratio or something like it in google and looked forever.

its actually a fluid mechanics equation used in everything from sizing HVAC equipment to chilled water systems...you can use it for any newtonian single phase fluid by using the right mechanical properties of specific heat and density...good stuff:bong:

Back
Top Bottom