How To Not Abuse Your Mom?

sneekymofo

Hello All!

I typically grow in hydro, but I keep my mothers in soil because, well, it felt less complicated than what I had going on the other side of the tent. Now I’ve researched all of the articles on bonsai mothers and that’s typically what I do, but I always feel like I’m abusing the plant unnecessarily. The concept: I have limited mothering space (yeah, I know, who doesn’t) and I like to hold onto favorite strains for years from the bonsais. However, I usually start them in regular potting soil (moisture control and probably Miracle Grow brand) and basically let the plant eat everything that’s in there, then give VERY light feedings to basically keep her on life support but slow growth. This leads to a VERY unhealthy looking mother, that grows slow, branches tightly, and stays small until root bound then I start over (or chop the root ball once, then start over with a clone of the mother). Generally I can keep a small bonsai that produces plenty of cuttings for about 2 years in a very small pot using incremental feedings.

Is there a better way to do this? I’m tired of my mother’s starting (and continuing) to look like this….

486E8F96-2252-4C01-8ABF-D9678101AF48.jpeg

I’m sure I’m doing this wrong, but since I had just reset one of my favorite mothers I decided to ask this time! Thanks for any input!!!

If you see that original clone mom tutorial it stays in a very small square pot - about 1/6th the size of your white container. Kinda forget about growing a plant.…. just keeping her on starvation diet. The reason they use square pots is once a year you remove the pot and slice 1/4 inch of soil yep roots and all off of each side (root pruning) then place back into container and add fresh soil back around edges pack it a little with a pencil

who’s got a link to the original clone mom tutorial???

Sneeky - you’ve only been here short time but I know you are golden, you will figure it out!!!

:ciao:

Back
Top Bottom