How to recover from Ph problems

FirstTimer

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for awhile now and just started out myself.
I have a bunch of seedlings that are not doing so hot. (Great White Shark, Hawaiian Snow, and SAGE).

Come to find out I have been watering them with aged tap water that has a ph of about 8.5.

How can I recover from this? My seedlings are about 3 weeks old and at most have three sets of tiny leaves. Some only have two. The seedling leaves have all pretty much yellowed away already and the plants look very stunted.

Thanks so much for any help!

I have never had PH problems that young but I have had them on plants. Adjust your PH and your plants should recover. The leafs that where damaged from the PH won't ever get better but the new growth would atleast be green and healthy

Thanks Spliff Twister. I wated them last night for the fisrt time with ph adjusted water. Hopefully they will recover.

I also have 19 BC Sweettooth clones that are suffering the same fate but not nearly as bad.

First off let me say Welcome!

It may be a soil issue also in combination with your high PH water. You can adjust the PH down using simple vinegar. Like Spliff said...the existing will not recover, but the new should be green. Also you may be overwatering and drowning the little buggers. Let them go a little dry before you water again.

Keep us posted.

Make sure and invite your friends to join us!

What is the best way to test soil ph? I have searched the board and saw a couple of ways of testing it. I took some ph 7.0 water and put it in a cup with about an inch of soil in it and stired it up. Measured a few minutes later and the ph was still 7.0. So I am assuming that my soil ph is 7.0. Does that sound correct? Was this a good test?

So far the seedlings aren't looking much better and they seem to be growing soooooo slow if at all. Maybe it is my inexperiece but shouldn't a 3 and half week old plant be putting out a set of leaves almost evey day or every other day?

Thanks for the help.

I can't really give any usefull advice on how to adjust soil pH. I know that vinigar lowers it, but I'm not sure how much to add. When I found my soil to be over 8.5, I just transplanted. My plants were even younger than yours, but I went very slowly and gently, and dipped the roots in some rooting powder and put them in better soil. They did just fine, and I didn't loose a one.

Don't forget that if you use peat-based or wood-containing soils, that will produce acidic soil, and that you'll have to add a little lime to the soil and mix it when you fill the planters.

If your soil has salt build up is it likely to be more acid than alkaline?

Using Plant Magic and Perlite, and plants showing calcium deficiency.

Was advised to PH nutes to 6, which I did and fed, but not looking better.

Pics on my current grow thread I'd appreciate any comments.

Back
Top Bottom