How & When To Transition From Indoor Grow To Outside

You need to harden them more to the temp than the light....you are already @ 12+ hours there so bring them outside for 4-6 hours to g4et some direct light, wind, temps etc. Them bring them in if the temps are lower than 45F. If they look like they are doing fine after 3-4 days of that just leave them outside.

:goodluck:
Thank you Blew. I will transplant over the next few days & acclimate them to the outside over the next week or so (seeing as it is starting to get warmer)

You need to harden them more to the temp than the light....you are already @ 12+ hours there so bring them outside for 4-6 hours to g4et some direct light, wind, temps etc. Them bring them in if the temps are lower than 45F. If they look like they are doing fine after 3-4 days of that just leave them outside.

:goodluck:
As @Blew Hiller mentions hardening the plants off to the outside day and night temperatures is tops. Do not just put it in a spot with strong direct sunlight all day long unless it has adapted. Do a search using the keywords hardening off plants for more info.

I took a large clone that I was using for taking cuttings from and put it in the unheated back room. Needed space in the light box closet and since I planned on putting it outside eventually it seemed to make sense. The plant was near the door wall and while facing south the sun will not shine directly onto the plant but the area does get very bright. About 4-5 days later I took it outside (on the patio it will receive intermittent sunlight) where it will spend the rest of the summer producing more cuttings. Then in early August it will start flowering and it will be the home stretch run for the roses.

Oh, all the cuttings that are still outside at that time will head for the basement. I am very tolerant if they stay in constant pre-flower but I do have to keep them from going into full flower bud production. That is what I did last year and every couple of weeks I would take a couple out of the light box closet and put them into the darkroom cabinet. Plus I will be taking cuttings off of the cuttings as those plants got bigger.

Growing inside and outside has a lot of possibilities.

Have fun today.

Hey there! I think you have received some really good answers to your questions. It was great for me to read as well, as I have some seedlings going that I started a few weeks ago. They will be transplanted outdoors when the weather is suitable. I am also in Ontario. One suggestion, in case it is helpful... if you check to see when the sunrise/sunset times will be on the date that you plant to move outdoors, you can set your timer for those hours now. For example, in my area, in late May/early June, the daylength will be just over 15 hours. So I have had my timer set for 15 hours since they sprouted. When they go in the ground the daylength will be "familiar" to them. Also, the advice about hardening off is really important - both the intensity of sunlight, as well as temperature/wind.

Good luck with your grow!

Back
Top Bottom