How & When To Transition From Indoor Grow To Outside

CottageGrow

420 Member
I will soon be considering transitioning my plants from an In-Door environment to Out-Doors
I have been growing my plants for just about 3 weeks now (and) will soon be transplanting from their Solo Cup to a larger container (1-2 Gallon Container).
I have been using some Table Top Grow Lights and the Plants seem to be doing very well (so far)
- Due to lack of space, I would like to transition them to outside when they are transplanted as the 1-2 Gallon Containers will take up too much space inside.
I am in ONTARIO Canada and the weather has been a bit cooler than normal, but we are now heading into the warmer Spring-Summer weather.
I get plenty of SUN in the area where I am considering to put them (on our DECK).
QUESTION:
Is there a recommended process (or schedule) to transition from "INSIDE" growing to "OUTSIDE" growing?
- Perhaps slowly introduce them to "acclimatize" them .... by putting outside on the deck in Sun/Shade for a hour on Day (1) and each following day add an additional hour to their stay outside???? And after a week or so of the "acclimatizing", just leave them outside 24/7 (weather/warmth permitting)
- As I am a Newbie, I am not sure if this makes sense or if any one has had experience with this (Good or Bad) and if you can make a recommendation as to how/when to transition from In-Doors to Out-Doors ... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all your support

Hey @CottageGrow :ciao:

Let me start by checking what light schedule they have been on while inside?
Your plants will need at least 12-13 hours of light daily to keep them in veg. If you go from having them on a 18/6 light schedule indoors and put them outside and they receive less than 12 hours light they will flip to flowering.
So best is to do a transition to the lighting it will receive outdoors over a week or so setting the light schedule an hour less every day until you reach your required light schedule. I hope that makes sense - i'm very blazed :rofl::lot-o-toke:

Thank you Irie-Lion,
They are currently getting 16 hours of "indoor" light (using - Counter-Top T5 Lighting)
So, if I understand correctly, I need to gradually reduce the "indoor" lighting to "match" (approx.) what the out-door sunlight that they will receive
- Does it also make sense that I introduce them "slowly" to outside by putting them out for a bit each day & then increase that exposure a bit each day ?

Exactly @CottageGrow that's 100% correct :Namaste:
Depending on the difference between your room temp and outside temp- if it is not too large of a difference you shouldn't have to worry about introducing them to the outside environment slowly.. but it sure won't hurt them so go ahead :yummy:

Hello Cottage Grow
Thank you for your post. The info you will be getting in here will be of great interest to me with ref to an outdoor grow I'm currently struggling to get closer to.
I'd like to ask what seeds you started?...well yer, I'm lazy yer see, so I 'll cheat and copy you.
Have you a Grow Journal? Idle devils like me like reading those in bed, I fall asleep with the boring ones and copy paste the good ones....tell all please.

Hello, CottageGrow

QUESTION:

Is there a recommended process (or schedule) to transition from "INSIDE" growing to "OUTSIDE" growing?
- Perhaps slowly introduce them to "acclimatize" them .... by putting outside on the deck in Sun/Shade for a hour on Day (1) and each following day add an additional hour to their stay outside???? And after a week or so of the "acclimatizing", just leave them outside 24/7 (weather/warmth permitting)
- As I am a Newbie, I am not sure if this makes sense or if any one has had experience with this (Good or Bad) and if you can make a recommendation as to how/when to transition from In-Doors to Out-Doors ... any help would be appreciated.

The approach I use is: Start seeds under similar outdoor light equivalent to the daytime light times. You can find these for your area at: timeanddate (dot) com. This will require you to increase daily lights on a minute to a minute and a half everyday, but for me is worth the effort because it makes for happy seedlings.

Once your local weather allows for transitioning to the outdoors, put them under a 40% shade cloth. Leave under 40% for about 4 days, then change shade cloth to 30% for 4 days, then change to 20 % for 4 days. Finally change shade cloth to 10% for 3 more days. This time frame adds up to 15 days, and really provides a stress free transition to the outdoors without any setbacks or hiccups. On day 16, introduce the seedlings to full sun. I have used this method for about 20 years, and have never experienced any problems or setbacks.

I trust this method will work for you, and others that might find this info revelant for their needs. :eek::morenutes::goodluck::bongrip:

Hello Cottage Grow
Thank you for your post. The info you will get/getting will be of interest to me with ref to an outdoor grow I'm currently struggling to get closer to.
I'd like to ask what seeds you started?...well yer, I'm lazy yer see, so I 'll cheat and copy you.
Have you a Grow Journal? Idle devils like me like reading those in bed, I fall asleep with the boring ones and copy paste the good ones....tell all please.

Hi Mark
I have some "Black Indica" (and) something called "Bakerstreet" (a couple of each)
- Started seeds by soaking in Distilled Water for 15-18 hours
- Then Paper Towel method for a few days ... Sprouted "Tap Roots"
- Then using "non-nutrient" soil I planted into SOLO Cups (put 4-5 drain holes in bottom)
*** Planted in a CLEAR Solo Cup & then put CLEAR Solo Cup inside of a Coloured Solo Cup ... This allows you to lift the Clear Cup out of the Coloured Solo Cup & see the Root development, without exposing the roots to light to much ***
- Put under Table Top T5 Lights for 16 hours per day (15- Days now under lights & doing well)
- Was cautious with watering so they are not over-watered, (using Distilled Water)
- Last week I introduced some nutrients to the soil (bought "Rhizotonic" root-establisher from local grow guy)
- Roots appear to be well established
Getting ready to transplant to next size of planter/pot

Hello, CottageGrow

QUESTION:

The approach I use is: Start seeds under similar outdoor light equivalent to the daytime light times. You can find these for your area at: timeanddate (dot) com. This will require you to increase daily lights on a minute to a minute and a half everyday, but for me is worth the effort because it makes for happy seedlings.

Once your local weather allows for transitioning to the outdoors, put them under a 40% shade cloth. Leave under 40% for about 4 days, then change shade cloth to 30% for 4 days, then change to 20 % for 4 days. Finally change shade cloth to 10% for 3 more days. This time frame adds up to 15 days, and really provides a stress free transition to the outdoors without any setbacks or hiccups. On day 16, introduce the seedlings to full sun. I have used this method for about 20 years, and have never experienced any problems or setbacks.

I trust this method will work for you, and others that might find this info revelant for their needs. :eek::morenutes::goodluck::bongrip:

Thank you very much
That is great advice

I’m trying my first outdoor grow myself with a Fruity Pebbles clone I grew. I’m near Hamilton and have had my clone outside for the past 11 Days. I’ve been using a clear plastic storage container at night and during the days when the weather wasn’t that great. Kept the plants warm and humid and the results speak for themselves

Day 1
D2A8A823-BC7D-45D1-B6AE-6136090367D4.jpeg

Day 11
32E4817A-D651-4BBD-9227-7D7CA367FD16.jpeg

Awesome growth in the last 11 days @EhCndGrower! She’ll be a monster :yummy::bravo:

People ask me all the time, when is the best time to plant clones outdoor in California? The answer to this question is not as clear as one might think. In fact, there are several times during the year when a outdoor gardener can achieve a successful harvest using clones or seeds. I will break the following paragraphs into a month by month summary.

Ultimately, your start date will vary depending on where you live. Many reputable northern California cannabis farms plant clones as early as May 15th and harvest between September and October, harnessing only sunlight. Southern parts like San Diego should start a few weeks later; though the exact start date will vary depending on the type of strain. Most importantly, try and purchase clones that are acclimated to your local environment. Outdoor growers should avoid clones from indoor mother plants because of the time needed to harden off. To hardened plants off, leave plants in the shade and move into full sun gradually.

Monthly Breakdown for best time to plant clones outdoor in California

January (San Diego Daylight Hours)

Total Daylight hours: January 1st – 10 hr 2 min / January 31st – 10 hr 36 min

I’m trying my first outdoor grow myself with a Fruity Pebbles clone I grew. I’m near Hamilton and have had my clone outside for the past 11 Days. I’ve been using a clear plastic storage container at night and during the days when the weather wasn’t that great. Kept the plants warm and humid and the results speak for themselves

Day 1
D2A8A823-BC7D-45D1-B6AE-6136090367D4.jpeg

Day 11
32E4817A-D651-4BBD-9227-7D7CA367FD16.jpeg

Thank you very much for your response.
- Do you happen to have a picture of the Clear Container that you were using ?
Other:
1) Did you gradually introduce/transition them from inside to outside.
- If so, could you give me an idea on how you scheduled your inside & outside transition, ie.) 1 Hour day one (with sun/shade), 2 Hours day two (with sun/shade) ???? Or did you go directly from inside to your garden ?
2) It looks like you have planted your Fruity Pebbles clone in your garden, what type of Soil Mix do you have in your garden?

Thank you very much for your response.
- Do you happen to have a picture of the Clear Container that you were using ?
Other:
1) Did you gradually introduce/transition them from inside to outside.
- If so, could you give me an idea on how you scheduled your inside & outside transition, ie.) 1 Hour day one (with sun/shade), 2 Hours day two (with sun/shade) ???? Or did you go directly from inside to your garden ?
2) It looks like you have planted your Fruity Pebbles clone in your garden, what type of Soil Mix do you have in your garden?

The clear container is just something my cousin bought from Canadian Tire or any store that carry clear storage bins. The lid was one of them folding in clamping lids, but they broke off and so I took it. As for the clone, I just took her from the grow tent and threw her right into the ground. The clone was becoming root-bound and was in desperate need of a bigger growing area. No room in the tent and I was also a week from the switch to flowering. As for the soil mix, I believe my sister bought the big bag of soil (big yellow bag they deliver to your house) Plus some perlite, vermiculite, crushed eggshells and coffee grounds. Not a lot of the last 2 but I think a few cups worth and just mixed in with a shovel. Just from yesterday to today I think she grew another inch at least

6FB102E9-328F-4414-A18F-EDF61419A0E9.jpegECEB3040-A7E5-4A28-B043-246938C428E3.jpeg

The clear container is just something my cousin bought from Canadian Tire or any store that carry clear storage bins. The lid was one of them folding in clamping lids, but they broke off and so I took it. As for the clone, I just took her from the grow tent and threw her right into the ground. The clone was becoming root-bound and was in desperate need of a bigger growing area. No room in the tent and I was also a week from the switch to flowering. As for the soil mix, I believe my sister bought the big bag of soil (big yellow bag they deliver to your house) Plus some perlite, vermiculite, crushed eggshells and coffee grounds. Not a lot of the last 2 but I think a few cups worth and just mixed in with a shovel. Just from yesterday to today I think she grew another inch at least

6FB102E9-328F-4414-A18F-EDF61419A0E9.jpegECEB3040-A7E5-4A28-B043-246938C428E3.jpeg
Thanks again for the info., it is helpful

You need to harden them more to the temp than the light....you are already @ 12+ hours there so bring them outside for 4-6 hours to g4et some direct light, wind, temps etc. Them bring them in if the temps are lower than 45F. If they look like they are doing fine after 3-4 days of that just leave them outside.

:goodluck:

I will soon be considering transitioning my plants from an In-Door environment to Out-Doors
I have been growing my plants for just about 3 weeks now (and) will soon be transplanting from their Solo Cup to a larger container (1-2 Gallon Container).
I have been using some Table Top Grow Lights and the Plants seem to be doing very well (so far)
- Due to lack of space, I would like to transition them to outside when they are transplanted as the 1-2 Gallon Containers will take up too much space inside.
I am in ONTARIO Canada and the weather has been a bit cooler than normal, but we are now heading into the warmer Spring-Summer weather.
I get plenty of SUN in the area where I am considering to put them (on our DECK).
QUESTION:

Thanks again for all your support
Your plan seems fine bro. Ill be following along for sure. Im getting ready to put mine outdoors as well. Although im not gonna acclimate them. Theyre in my tent getting 18/6 anyway so im just gonna put her out there and let mother nature do its thing. Happy growing

Back
Top Bottom