Howdy: First Grow, Week 5 Veg, A Few Hiccups

What's up? Greetings from the Northeast. I'm really glad I found this forum because the information everyone posts in it is so insightful. Well, I began my first grow almost five weeks ago. No matter how much you read and plan, you won't learn until you get your hands dirty with it..

Here is a look at what I am using:
  • Genetics: 2 pineapple kush plants from Royal Queen Seeds
  • Soil: Super soil from Kind Soil, Fox Farm Coco Loco
  • Light: HLG 135 rspec light
Photo taken November 19th:
IMG_0403.jpg

Once the two plants matured in their solo cups, I transferred them to 5 gallon pots (November 12th). In retrospect, this was my first mistake. I thought that I could nurture them properly in larger pots (basically by not over watering), but I didn't understand then how root ball development works. I would transfer to a smaller pots first next time.

For the first water in the large pots, I was so scared to over water that I watered just around the plants and used maybe a third to half gallon per pot. I noticed after a few days the plants were not growing much and beginning to wilt (slowly). I watered a little bit again. After some reading I understood that I was likely under watering by a lot - 5 gallon pots need at least 1 gallon of water, right? On November 22nd, I put a solid gallon in each, and they have begun to show life!

BUT

Several days after moving to the 5 gal, I topped the plants and attempted chiropractor techniques on the main stems. I pinched and bent the stems just below the first node. I was too aggressive and have been watching the plant stems slowly recover. One is doing much better and has a fat knuckle developing. The other is taking longer and is not recovering from the wilting as quickly as I would like. It is also showing some coloring on the leaves. It can't be nutrient deficiency, can it? I am using super soil, but perhaps the roots are not abundant or wet enough in the nutrient rich soil at the bottom of the pot to feed the plant.

Overall, I would like to know why these plants are not becoming lanky. There is almost no plant to even train yet and I am in week 4. Is it a combination of previous dehydration and the stem splitting? I would also like to know what you think is appearing on the leaves. Thanks so much! Look forward to keeping you posted!!

Pictures from today:
IMG_0446.PNG
IMG_0444.jpg
IMG_0445.jpg
IMG_0443.jpg

I believe the slow growth is due to the damage to the stem. If you look at the last image in your post, you can see there is little of water/nutrient path left. She may partially recover, but I doubt that she'll live up to her genetic heritage.

If the leaf damage is on the same plant, I'd attribute the leaf damage to nutrient deficiencies cause by the damage to the stem.

Plus you're taking up more space using two fivers with 135 Watt's.
Here's the spec sheet.

• Veg Footprint 3' x 3' (9 sq ft)
  • Flower Footprint 2' x 2' (4 sq ft) to 2' x 3' (6 sq ft)
Great QB though. :thumb:

Plus you're taking up more space using two fivers with 135 Watt's.
Here's the spec sheet.

• Veg Footprint 3' x 3' (9 sq ft)
  • Flower Footprint 2' x 2' (4 sq ft) to 2' x 3' (6 sq ft)
Great QB though. :thumb:
Thank you. You’re totally right. I’ll probably end up centering the stronger plant and just using the second as a bonus. I was thinking about just doing one but figured what the heck, I can squeeze a second.

Thank you. You’re totally right. I’ll probably end up centering the stronger plant and just using the second as a bonus. I was thinking about just doing one but figured what the heck, I can squeeze a second.

When you can afford it, just get another board, then you'll be set.

Back
Top Bottom