HPS for veggin

old_smokey9483

Are HPS lights better to use for veg cycle rather than fluorscent? And if so, how far should I keep a 400 w away from the tops?

No hps are not good for veggin. In my last grow journal i vegged wiht a hps and i had problems. So i throw the flourals back on and fixed them. So go ahead and veg wiht the flourals u will get better results. And when u use the hps start it like 12 to 16 inches away and then as they grow u will notice if u can have the light closer or not.

I have personally used a super hps 400 watt Hortilux for the whole grow cycle 2 differnt times{without NO problems} but i also used a dual shoplight with fluorecent grow bulbs,but that was mainly just for more light.According to Ed Rosenthal of "High Times"The H.P.S.is the best bet for the WHOLE growing cycle.:grinjoint: Just my opinion.........Oh yea keep them as close as you can without burning them.I would start out about a foot away....:joint:

Actually while MH is preferred for vegging, in a pinch or by design HPS will grow very fine MJ.With MJ its more about the amount of Lumens and the light cycle.Myself I grow in the classic method,but if I had a burnout of my MH bulb I wouldnt hesitate switching to HPS for the remainder of the vegging.-usdi Agaluga

I recently picked up a 400W HPS- but have yet to use it. Need ballast and the hydro stores I've been to give me the creeps. I'm looking for a lighting store that sells cheap ballasts. HPS can be used from start to finish- They even make HPS bulbs that put out additional blue light to stimulate veg growth.

I have grown several times with CFL's only. The warm whites are recommended for flowering. 230 watts for 1-2 plants and I end up with ~2oz
per plant. Not optimal but I was still harvesting more than I was smoking!

I even gave 3 jars away. Gotta keep that on the low down or the world will beat a path to your door!

I use now 400w MH for the veg and some plants grow really fast, other few barely grow but i guess its because they are sort of mutants or just weak plants that will take more time, and i also have an 400w HPS - you think it is a good idea to combine the two during veg cycle, also after when veg is finish should i still keep using the MH too?

Dunno i used a hps for my last grow from start to finish the first weeks sucked they stretched and every thing i would use florals at least for the first few weeks so the seedling can get a strong strucutre.

Stretching is more a result of the light cycle and amount of lumens rather than light source.HPS actually produce more lumens than a MH.Be sure your lights close enough to do good without burning.Stick your hand in there and feel the heat.I have discontinued using fluro's and start with my MH.If your not using some type of fan from the beginning, do so.It will strengthen the seedlings and helps keep streching to a minimum.
As for combining MH and HPS during vegging,,go for it.The more lumens the better.In fact you can use them both to flower also.Many growers swear by the full spectrum approach.-usdi Agaluga

You can use cfls to balance the spectrum of a hps or buy the specialty bulbs like hortilex has.And you can use a mh with a hps as long as you dont have a heat issue. The more balanced the light spectrum the better the growing conditions. Hps is great for flowering but it makes the rest of the plant look ill.
Mh is great for veg but does not have the red to produce large buds.
Cfls are great cause they are cheap and put off low heat but you have to keep them real close. Hope this helps.

Blue spectrum is best for flower no matter how you look at it, use a MH or some Fouros for veg because they are blue spectrum. If you want a really good flaurecent light for veg do what me and InYourEndo did and buy a floodlight from Home Depot for 30 bucks or so, it puts out 500w but runs at 65w, so you could buy 2, running 1000w but costing you 130w. Check it out, its a blue box that sais "FLOOD LIGHT".

Brett2theMax said:
Blue spectrum is best for flower no matter how you look at it, use a MH or some Fouros for veg because they are blue spectrum. If you want a really good flaurecent light for veg do what me and InYourEndo did and buy a floodlight from Home Depot for 30 bucks or so, it puts out 500w but runs at 65w, so you could buy 2, running 1000w but costing you 130w. Check it out, its a blue box that sais "FLOOD LIGHT".

Can I See A Picture Of Your Set Up With The Lights?

Brett2theMax said:

But the thing with that is, the plants aren't getting 1000 watts of light. The're only getting 130.

cement head said:
its a thousand at the cost of 130 thats what high efiecince is more for less

Yes, but the plants only respond to the actual wattage - which is 130w. The high efficiancy refers to what the human eye can see. I.E. it will seem as bright as a 1000w bulb to a human, but the plants will only "see" 130w or 9000 lumens. (A 1000w HPS puts out 137,000 lumens)

Clear as mud.... LOL

:allgood:
MC

iam not realy sure about that my grow bulbs are 40 watts and my daylight bulbs are 40 watts but both put out differant lumens grow bulb is 2500 and daylight bulb is 3050 i mean i dont know to much about that stuff but thats what the manufactures pkg tells me maybe if torrco reads this thread i think hes the resident electrician he could clarify this cause i would be intrested in knowing cause iam not saying your wrong but my understanding is the brighter the more lumens regardless of the wattage it takes to produce it but hey thats why we are here to learn and separate fact from fiction right and so now i will use this site for one of its usefull tools and seek for the factsand let you know what i find thanks

Yes, but the plants only respond to the actual wattage - which is 130w. The high efficiancy refers to what the human eye can see. I.E. it will seem as bright as a 1000w bulb to a human, but the plants will only "see" 130w or 9000 lumens. (A 1000w HPS puts out 137,000 lumens)

Clear as mud.... LOL

:allgood:
MC<!-- / message -->
i have taken apic off the box with specs for the differrant 40 watt bulbs but still waiting for it to process will post asap for you maybe imiss understand it
lumens_vs_watts.JPG

Back
Top Bottom