HPS Vs T5HO , What side are you on?

KingJaffyJoe

I just wanted to start a current Civilized discussion on this topic ,as I am battling between the two and am leaning T5HO I like the results I'm seeing from the Quantam BadBoy T5HO .

But what do you think 420 ?

Both offer positives and both have drawbacks I prefer t5s due to electricity concerns when I eventually am able to take my home off the grid as far as the electric bill is concerned I might switch back to hps but for the time being I'm looking to advances in led light fixtures to possibly be the future of growing

Just google the lumen output for the wattage , and for flower or veg ? 600w hps puts out around 91,000 lumens for one bulb. I go with hps , but I love the light lol. Really depends on your end objective .

I use LED for flower and T5 for veg. Used MH in previous grows and after switching to T5 for my mother plants if you are doing a flat canopy grow like a scrog where u dont need the penetration of light then T5 wins out. Trees or bushes then MH for sure! If u interested in LED lighting come check out my journal as thats all i run now in flower.

Hello Folks, This is re-peat of a previous post in the growing section...thought Id add this: I'm growing just 1 plant and use 3 - 36 watt T-8 6500K 4 foot tubes for the first 4 1/2 hrs then 1- 100watt MH for 9 hrs and then 3 - 36watt T-8 6500K 4 foot tubes for the last 4 1/2 hrs for veg using 2 separate timers (18hrs on 6 hrs off)...never exceeding 108 watts. Switching from tubes to HID then back to tubes in proportion simulates the sun's intensity throughout the day...this was my idea and it insures that only a 100 or so watts are being used at anytime. You could use 2- 54watt T5's and it would probably be about the same lums and watts as using 3-36 watt T8's...so I guess it's what you can afford, whats available or what you want that determines what is used...I will always have HID in the equation regardless of other lighting. I use nothing but all the Fox Farm line up on nutes and have a 5 gal bucket continuous drip which only drips when the tubes are on for 9 to 6 hrs a day....this gives the roots a chance to dry out some. For bloom I change the tubes to 3000k and use a 100watt HPS which I can just switch the bulb out because I have a electronic ballast in my hood that allows either kind of 100 watt MH/HPS...home made by the way. When switching over to bloom, I adjust the timers so the tubes come for the first 3 hrs, then go off and then the HPS comes on for 6 hrs, then goes off and the tubes come back on for the last 3 hrs (12hrs on 12 hrs off)...again never exceeding 108 watts. You really don't need any more watts then what I got going on to grow a plant or 2 and it is completely possible to make up your own system without spending big bucks on an elaborate system...also don't waste your money on those 14 watt LED panels, I tried 6 of them and they weren't bright enough. You can find a lot of good hydro stuff such as lights and fixtures on Craigslist for dirt cheap, if you are creative and want to make a cheap and effective light system such as mine. 1000bulbs.com is where you should consider getting replacement bulbs etc. I discovered that no nutes should be used until the plant establishes a reasonable root system..another words no nutes until the plant is at least 6 inches tall...you'll burn the tips of the leaves every time....just follow the directions for the nutes you use when it's time to use them. I don't even use a PH meter and have no issues. My plant experience has been going real well for not really knowing what I'm doing....learned from my mistakes and got educated from sites like this one. I hope this helps someone from not spending a lot of unnecessary time and money on all the choices that are out there. Pics will come soon...when I figure out how to post pics...it doesn't tell you, at least I haven't found that yet?

You can get some great results with the T5 Bad Boy's.

I'd still say HPS beats them, but it's close.

I just wanted to start a current Civilized discussion on this topic ,as I am battling between the two and am leaning T5HO I like the results I'm seeing from the Quantam BadBoy T5HO .

But what do you think 420 ?

If you use them with 3000k and 6500k bulbs you will see ultimate results during flowering. You can also use them together threw veg and flowering. Will promote thicker branching with the 3000k and nice nod spacing with the 6500k

Back
Top Bottom