Introducing me - 66 y/o retired horticulturist university trained stoner

vine

I have a great interest in indoor lighting for plant growth. I have also been fooling around with growing cannabis for my own personal use for about 45 years. My current interest is in LED lighting. I am just starting with these LED lights. I'm relatively poor and on a fixed income but I do have space for a small grow- I'm not really interested in commercial growing. So far I have 2 of the Taotronics, 3 band spot lights a 12 watt and a 24 watt and also an off brand 12 watt. I also have a Taotronics 180 watt (90 actual watt) 3 X 60, 3 watt diodes. The spot lights are pretty cool and my seedlings like them. I put these spot lights on three fixture pole light and am using them along with t5ho 4 ft 4 tube. The seedlings and young plants actually turn to face these spot lights just like they would follow the sun. And that is under 224 watts of t5ho fluorescents with 3 blue and one red bulb. Plus a 5 light fixture of mixed, white LED, pink/blue LED and tungsten. So I am pretty happy with these low wattage spots as a supplemental light source. Only thing is i need to keep the spots 16 inches or so from the plants otherwise I get curling leaves in both directions, although growth is definitely faster with the lights closer. I have just started using the UFO and I just don't like it - the intense pink light hurts by eyes and my brain. I like to spend quality time hanging out with my plants and I can't do it with this UFO- that said the seedlings seem to be responding well to it. I have a couple of 400 watt HPS w hortilux bulbs and these do a great job for my purposes and I don't mind being around the lights, except for the buzzing from my electronic ballasts. I am thinking I should get a digital ballast which is supposed to be quite, but my understanding is also that the digital ballasts don't last nearly as long as the magnetic ballasts which I already have. Anyway I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the LED lights, I may get another And I am considering the brands Kind, G8 Dormgro, and Advanced Platinum, all between 200 and 450 watts. Still I am expecting my best plants to go under the HPS as I have had good results in the past with these. I'll likely add the LED spots and some fluorescents for variety. I'll appreciate any advice on LEDs, also the digital ballast vs the magnetic ballast. Mucho thanks.

:welcome: to :420: Vine. You've found the most complete and active cannabis cultivation site on the internet. The depth and breadth of knowledge here is astounding and can be overwhelming. If I can help you find something, or offer advice, please feel free to ask any time. Not only me but many others. We all want you to succeed. Again :welcome:
--
Rifleman

Vine, check out our :420: sponsors. There are some excellent LED lights represented there. I'm sure you'll find all the info you will need there and the FAQ section. Lots of LED users here.

Edit: search for member LightAddict, he is on the cutting edge of LED technology as a beta tester for light manufacturers.

:welcome: vine to :420:
I hear you about the spider. Heck I would love a Rolls-Royce to drive to work too but I am kind of on a fixed income like yourself. I am presently growing with LEDs and am looking around for one more to fill in the gap, but like you, that fixed income thing keeps popping up. I am seriously considering the Mars-hydro for my next LED for a few reasons. 1st off, they do have a proven track record here on 420, with members who are not affiliated to the company that not only say they are doing well, but show you with their journals.
Mars-Hydro is one of 420's sponsors and a very generous one at that. Their prices are very competitive and actually very reasonable. Will you be getting the Rolls-Royce of LEDs? Naw but you know what? My old car gets me to work just fine and gets 30+ miles to the gallon and the best part is it is already paid for. Trust me, if it was a RR I would still owe on it.

Welcome to here!

I do hope you do a journal of your grow. I'm fascinated by the LEDs - always wonder if they produce as well as my stupidly hot HPS bulbs. If you make a journal, I'd love to follow along.

Back
Top Bottom