Hydrogen peroxide in hydroponics solution

brianyoung

We used a higher than normal amount to combat larvae for fungus gnats. It burned all the leaves off and even the lower small buds developed only the stems with nothing on the them. No hairs no calyxes just the stems and the leaves looked droopy for a minute then burned em all up on the whole plants IE... 2 ft tall clones under HPS after a good flushing and nutrient change-out those that survived are looking good and new growth is visible and lush. use Hydrogen Peroxide very lightly if at all. If there is a higher-than-normal heat condition they will dry up quickly and die. So be careful.

What amount is higher than normal to you?

What ratio did you mix in with what percentage of peroxide?

We followed the manufacturers recommended strength of 3 ml per gallon. We then doubled that amount to combat the larvea of the fungus gnats that were living in the roots where the grow blocks made contact with the grow slabs. the grow blocks set right on top of the grow slabs. and the little bastards were everywhere and the larvae were spotted. so we upped the solution to about double strength or a little bit more. The lower buds and leafs began to deform and turn an awful color and dry up. We then decided to burn out any larvea by putting the hydrogen peroxide (34% ) diluted 3 - 1 and pour it into the blocks directly. We could hear the hydrogen sizzling in the roots. We are sure this eliminated the larvae but we did not flush the blocks with clean water immediately after and then change the rez. Both methods proved to be detrimental to our crop losing 10 of 21 plants. The gnats are truly little pests, but I now don't believe they are too harmful to any plant unless there is a serious infestation of the larvae. Undeniably, the hydrogen peroxide is caustic to the plants and will provide oxygen to them when used in minute doses. Oxygen yes, but its still caustic to the plants in any amount. We will not be using it in any future grows.

Omg that's huge amount you used, I'm using 17.5% at 1.5ml per gallon when needed bur I don't use it everyday.

Get yourself some springtails in your res , they are guardian to your plant roots, when I found larvae and a few flies last summer, the springtails came along few days later, and they took care of the flies and larvae then even cleaned up any slime or crap in bucket :-D

Omg that's huge amount you used, I'm using 17.5% at 1.5ml per gallon when needed bur I don't use it everyday.

Get yourself some springtails in your res , they are guardian to your plant roots, when I found larvae and a few flies last summer, the springtails came along few days later, and they took care of the flies and larvae then even cleaned up any slime or crap in bucket :-D

What are Springtails? I have never heard of them. and how are they used? It sounds like they are quite beneficial to the roots.

Yes as monster says you used way (way, way) to much, its an oxidizer (it burns things)

Some people say you should never use peroxide in your solution it's for cleaning res only, same as some say never use molasses in dwc, they causes root rots, these 2 are working on the same principle, with the right amount they are both very beneficial to our dwc setup, but too much and you in for big trouble. With the right amount of peroxide you'll have the healthiest roots you've ever see, the right amount of molasses along with right amount of nutes, you'll have a happiest harvest ever :) and ofcos you must have the rest of the environment within range under control.

I am going to look them up and give them a close review for possible introduction into our system. Thanks Bro

Hope you find them helpful, I'm just happy to stick to a clear res, no need for any assistance :) my remedy of keeping my res clean is actually using peroxide but not everyday and at slightly lower than max ratio.

yeah, I appreciate your input on this. I am so bummed about these plants burning up and turning "hydrogen peroxide orange" that I will probably never use it again. I think there are other oxygenator chemicals for the hydro that should be safer than hydrogen peroxide. My slabs drain well enough that they get plenty of oxygen naturally, between the waterings. My pal was trying to eradicate the larvae of fungus gnats using it. Sticky traps have proven to handle the problem of those little pests. Thanks bro! I will look up those creatures. I live in California where the weather is perfect for growing outdoors, but they outlawed all the outdoor grows and require us to grow indoors. If there is anything I can do for you here in California, just let me know :)

You may never completely get rid of them till your grow is done and wash everything out, when the time I had the same problem, I use 17.5% 4.5ml peroxide per 15 liter water in the res each day along with the springtails, if you have 35% simply half that dose, that was keeping the little flies numbers down but I have to catch them too everyday, I see maybe around 15 of them flying around but a lot less larvae hanging around as they be eaten by the springtails :-D once they are chopped down, I cleaned everything with low dose of breach, then wash again with peroxide, and it has been crystal ever since. That's 2 grows passed, not a thing in my res or anywhere in the tent, I use the same dose of peroxide even now but only when water temperature reaches 70f, which is rarely, if you don't want to use peroxide the best way to keep res from pest would be using a chiller and control the temp on everything.

I've been wondering about h202. I was thinking of using some in my rez just to see what happens. Guess I won't. I don't have any issues with roots or anything, just figured it may give the girls a 'Boost'. You guys seem to be using it as a means of pest control.

Grow on! :allgood:Andy.

Bring this to the top with a question. My res temps are at about 72 deg. What is a good preventative dose and should I use that constantly? and is that with the drug store stuff or the food grade stuff. Thanks guys

Bring this to the top with a question. My res temps are at about 72 deg. What is a good preventative dose and should I use that constantly? and is that with the drug store stuff or the food grade stuff. Thanks guys

We used the food grade stuff which is 35 % and DO NOT exceed the recommended dose like we did. We no longer use hydrogen peroxide as it kills beneficial microbacteria in organic ferilizers.

I use 3ml per gal of the 35% food grade h2o2 and I cleared up both my gnat and algae problem. I use it on the daily with no problems, and have spectacular roots. Bone white. I'm in grodan cubes, top feed by hand, drain to waste. I'm also not using organic nutes in my hydro to keep it as clean as possible. I know every grow is different so please apply your critical thinking skills when assimilating this information to your grow. What works for me might not work for you. ;-)

Apologies if this is posted twice, I'm having technology issues

I use 3ml per gal of the 35% food grade h2o2 and I cleared up both my gnat and algae problem. I use it on the daily with no problems, and have spectacular roots. Bone white. I'm in grodan cubes, top feed by hand, drain to waste. I'm also not using organic nutes in my hydro to keep it as clean as possible. I know every grow is different so please apply your critical thinking skills when assimilating this information to your grow. What works for me might not work for you. ;-)

Apologies if this is posted twice, I'm having technology issues

Thank you for your post bro. All information is appreciated. I also noticed that when too much hydrogen peroxide is used the plants take on an unusual orange-yellow tint as they die off. A sign that too much is what killed them. Best of luck bro

Peroxide not only kills the bad bacteria but the good as well, you should never use it unless it is a emergency situation.
Molasses can be used in hydro but it needs to be very watered down, its the same thing as the product called sweet.

keep your res at 70F and you shouldn't need things like peroxide.

you algae issue can be handled by covering the cubes. your yield will go up when you quit using it as the plants wont be trying to recover all the time. ime

Back
Top Bottom