Ideal DWC 5gal resivour temps

So this is my second go with Hydroponics and my 5th grow overall, so this time around im trying to hone my hydroponic skills one of the areas im working on at the moment is resivour tempuratures now that I purchased an Aquarium thermometer tonight. But the people i've talked to so far by word of mouth have been giving me conflicting reports the first guy told me 65F or so up to 75F give or take a little bit is perfect.The plant starts to die at around 90F or 50F .The colder the nutrient solution, the less up take by the roots same thing when it gets to warm, theres less up take by the roots. (the plant slows down).

That sounded fine to me since right now my resivour temp is sitting at 72.5 deg/F...but honestly the h2o felt colder to my hand than 72 and this thing is pretty cheap....is it possibly that the two air stones i have flowing in there could be throwing this thing off?

Regardless I was feeling all good and happy that everythings perfect when my second buddy drops a bomb telling me "noooo, I would not let it get over 70F... 72 was when he got root rot... (in DWC system) you can get some additives that are supposed to prevent other biological growth and root rot, but 65-70 is ideal. Also he said that the closer to 65 you can keep it the more oxygen it holds...

So I got some conflicting reports here and thought i'd throw them out to the 420 Mag Community. Thanks for taking the time to read this and any response is appreciated.
Best,
p.g :Namaste: :blunt:

P.S my other grow is doing great and besides a bit of browning on the roots here and there, but nothing that a cap full and a half of 12% H202 (hydrogen peroxide) couldn't clear up in a day. And that plant is gorgious and ready 2 be harvested very soon. But again this plant is supposed to be the honed in one damn it. Oh and above all cost effective solutions to the problem would be fantastic...I know coolers are expensive.
if possible.:goodluck:

i've been doing 5gall dwc for about 6 yrs and i keep mine 68-70. no lower than 65 and no high than 75. i use subculture beneficial bacteria and have never had a problem with root rot, even when the temps start getting toward 75. using a strong air pump helps too.

i've been doing 5gall dwc for about 6 yrs and i keep mine 68-70. no lower than 65 and no high than 75. i use subculture beneficial bacteria and have never had a problem with root rot, even when the temps start getting toward 75. using a strong air pump helps too.

Thx for the reply Jammie
ya i have a millionair T300 air pump with two ports so I have two good active airstones in there so I hope im good with that. Thats dope to know about your temp ranges, right now im only using Dutch Master Grow A and B and when she hits flower i'm going 2 give her Advanced Nutrients Bloom A and B, Kushi Kush and Sensisyme, what form of Beneficial bacteria would you recommend me? When I was growing in Soil a year ago with Fox Farm line up I used ZHO but it was right at the end and i really never noticed a difference and then never used it again. Check out my grow journal dude I need more people there!:goodluck:

do u have links to any of your grows?

Yeah, all my DWC grows were in an ambient temp of 78F, and the res was usually 65-68F the whole grow. It pays to buy accurate instruments, and keep them calibrated.

If you want to calibrate (at least the low end) of your current thermometer, make a 1c. mix of crushed ice, salt and water - mix to a slush consistency. Add your thermometer and wait a minute or two - if it's not 32F, either adjust it (if you can) or make note of how high or low it is.

Good luck brother!:goodluck:

:tokin:Thank You dude! yeah i'll try that. theres no way to calibrate it so if that turns out to be the case i'll just return it. n used the 10 bucks towardz a dope one from the hydro shop :tokin: bubbles wouldn't mess with it hu.

Thanks again!:high-five:

hey there pac. i use subculture B. works great in dwc. don't have any grows on here yet. i usually hang at -----. i do 1 grow a year and plan on starting in about 2-3 weeks on a super lemon haze and og18 grow under 1k hps.

Ive used great white and aquashield (great white is a bit expensive so switched to aquashield). my res temps have gotten up to 78 degrees for an extended period of time and I have had no issues with root rot

I just got a bad ass chiller i've been keeping temps at 60 deg/F heard that temp was the absolute pinnacle for nutrient uptake, but thats just what the guy at the hydro store said all you fellas now are telling me 65. If anyone knows the official range to keep it in please let me know! :) Other wise thanks for the feed back!
-p.g.
:Namaste:

Check out my tutorial I just posted in my link on switching to RDWC plus my grow journal to see how my plant is doing with the chiller! I update daily.

0211111939.jpg

At 60 degrees res temps, after three days i can see the plants slow down growth.

I've had a couple of these low temp days in the last few weeks. Not good.

I try to keep my res at 68 degrees.

Prairie

ya dude after reading a bit more about it I decided to bring my temps up to 65 deg/F do you use a chiller also?

If not how do you keep your temps around 68? I have another plant thats almost rdy to harvest and lately i've been keeping her temps between 65 and 70 by freezing a bottle of water then putting that bottle in the resivore and changing it out when the ice melts :)

ya dude after reading a bit more about it I decided to bring my temps up to 65 deg/F do you use a chiller also?

If not how do you keep your temps around 68? I have another plant thats almost rdy to harvest and lately i've been keeping her temps between 65 and 70 by freezing a bottle of water then putting that bottle in the resivore and changing it out when the ice melts :)

In the winter I use an aquarium heaters, and in summer i use a mini fridge - DIY chiller.

Prairie

In the winter I use an aquarium heaters, and in summer i use a mini fridge - DIY chiller.

Prairie

aww thats awesome you built a chiller yourself :thumb:
Do you have a link to how you did it??? (I'll check the links in ur sig after I post this)

aww thats awesome you built a chiller yourself :thumb:
Do you have a link to how you did it??? (I'll check the links in ur sig after I post this)

I don't have any thing posted on it. Though I got my ideal from the forum here.

Bought a mini fridge from Walmart I think around $80. Make sure it is one that has a compressor, not one that uses a electronic cooling element (the easiest way to tell is if it can make ice cubes). About thirty foot of tubing 1/2 inch. Punched two holes in the back, ran the tubing inside and wrapped around the ice maker. One end is on the pump in the reservoir, the other to the irrigators that lead to each net pot.

I can have the closet at 90 degrees (though I don't like it there), and the res temps stay at 68.

Prairie

I have to say that kicks the crap out of how cool I thought my "DIY" C02 system was - aka 3 gallon jug, S bubbler (made 4 fermenting wine in wine bottles can be purchased for 1.50 at any DIY alcohol store). then one LBS of Sugar 3 packets of Regular Ralphs Brand Yiest 3 gallons of tap water, rubber grommets to keep the S bubbler air tight and connected and to keep 6 inches of 1/4" clear tube and you have yourself a system that will keep c02 PPM levels around 900-1020 in a closet space like this one here for about a week :) Costs me about 5 bucks a week to run. I'd rather have a c02 tank but I can't afford one for another couple months So this works for now you know.

0213111356a.jpg

You can see the top of the Jug with the S bubbler in it between the digital hydrometer and T300 Millionair air pump

But yeah That DIY mini fridge is bad ass im totally ganna hit you up on that when I need another chiller for when I get my air ventilation system with that dope ass Radiator connector. And dont want to dish the cash out for a $600 aquarium one!

Peace
PG

But yeah That DIY mini fridge is bad ass im totally ganna hit you up on that when I need another chiller for when I get my air ventilation system with that dope ass Radiator connector. And dont want to dish the cash out for a $600 aquarium one!

Peace
PG

I'm planning on taking it out next week and do a through cleaning job on it. I'll grab some pics and layout how it works.

Prairie

that'd be sick Prairie i'll definetly check it out when its up!

Stay High

-PacificGrown

Back
Top Bottom