BC Northern Lights Producer Help

mcadamjw

Hello All,

This is my first Hydro grow and my second overall grow so still very new but learning. I have purchased the BC Northern Light Producer which is basically a DWC system with auto top feeding. I have switched my small plants over to my machine and it appears that all my plants at the surface are very healthy however when I look in my reservoir roots are growing like crazy however some of the roots are growing light brown at the tips and in various places on the roots. I started reading about root rot and how to prevent it and it appears that I am doing everything correctly.

System: DWC - BC Northern Lights Producer
Veg Week 2
PH: 5.8
Box Temp 72
Water Temp: 64
PPM 450
Medium: Rock Wool
4 Air stones
18 plants - 10 started from seen and 8 clones purchased from local dispensary.
Nutes: General Hydroponics - Flora Grow and Flora Micro
Hand Watering Plants for now - Roots busting out of 3.5 inch rock
Water level is now directly below the net pots it was like 3in below but added ph water to reservoir. I am wondering if maybe light is getting around the rockwool and to the roots, I just ordered some of the covers to place over the rockwool. It appears as the roots are starting to touch the water they are turning brown some roots are already submerged. I check my ph once to twice a day never over 6.1 but I keep it around 5.6-5.8.

Is it ok that I add my ph down directly to the reservoir. So when I notice the ph has risen I get a couple of drops and add directly to the reservoir to bring back around 5.8.

What are some of my mistakes if any mentioned above? What could be my issue? Want to start a journal soon using the producer but I guess I need to make it through the basics first. The odd part is the plants look really good and they are still growing fine. If you need any additional information please let me know.

You have Pythium starting. It happens.

I've found that 1/2 cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide per gallon helps keep it in check. Ez Clone also makes a product called RezClear used for the same purpose.

Keeping everything clean is paramount to your operation.

The Cap'n has a good read in the hydroponics section on the subject. "Live vs. Sterile" or something along those lines. There's also some beneficial teas that can be used as preventive measure.

Adjusting the PH as you described should be fine. DWC isn't my cup of tea but I have had plenty Pythium incidents. Cross contamination of some kind may be the issue.

I know you're going to have to do a reservoir change and clean or replace everything. You can't PM people yet but I would suggest asking in the hydro section. Click "grow room" and scroll down to the next page. There's some great folks on there but they don't always stray too far from that forum.

Best of luck to you and your future endeavors.

:420:

never directly add nutes ph up or down to the res
mix it up with some water first and dilute it

Enzymes help adding prozyme or hydrozyem help protect roots. If I was running synthetic in hydro I would use peroxide .

Thanks to all of you who have responded your help is much appreciated. Glad I asked about the PH Up and Ph Down I been adding directly to the reservoir but I wont do that anymore. I will also pick up 3% hydrogen peroxide and add some in today. So can I add this directly or does it need to be diluted as well? Are you saying a 1/2 cup per gallon so I would need 5 cups for a 10 gallon reservoir and would I need to do this every change of water and nutes?

I would mix it in when you do your res change
if at all possible never add anything directly if you have to mix it with water before you add
Happy Thurweed day :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom