Identifying a dud carbon filter

Hey all, being new I haven't managed to find any information on this subject. Just finishing my first ever run with a phresh filter 150x600 and my house stinks but online they had good reviews. I have now just purchased a carboair60 6" and after opening the box and putting my hand inside my hand was covered in black dust! Is this normal or a sign of poor quality?
The phresh filter actually had carbon particles inside and the rivets was all wonky so I'm a bit sceptical weather to use the new one.

With the phresh I thought maybe it's my ducting so changed that also opened my extractor fan and sealed the whole thing any cracks! And taped the fan to filter with a collar on to make sure it wasn't something else.

Would be nice if their was a post or if anyone could advise with experience what to look out for as I'm sure every company may have a few released that wasn't up to their usual standard.. but paying 150 a time and not even last one run isn't worth my time. I think it even smelt slightly in veg 🙄

Any help/info/advice would be great I'm sure to many others aswell as myself.
Hers a picture of my new filter that has just arrived seems strider than the phresh but phresh didn't have this dust.

PXL_20221128_123015456.jpg

PXL_20221128_123022384.jpg

Interesting question. Can't say as I have read anything about dud charcoal filters but it is a possibility.

It might help if you give a brief description of your set-up. Info like whether you are using the filter to freshen the air in a tent or a room, the size of the tent or room, whether the fan is pushing the 'smelly' air through or pulling it through the filter. Also, the size of the fan as in how many cubic feet or cubic meters of air it moves.

Also whether the filtered air is being sent back into the tent or the room or if it is being sent outside.

after opening the box and putting my hand inside my hand was covered in black dust! Is this normal or a sign of poor quality?
I would think it is normal dust caused by the charcoal pieces being moved around inside the cannister during shipping. Some dust would be normal. I have seen it on the plastic wrap placed over the canister.

Interesting question. Can't say as I have read anything about dud charcoal filters but it is a possibility.

It might help if you give a brief description of your set-up. Info like whether you are using the filter to freshen the air in a tent or a room, the size of the tent or room, whether the fan is pushing the 'smelly' air through or pulling it through the filter. Also, the size of the fan as in how many cubic feet or cubic meters of air it moves.

Also whether the filtered air is being sent back into the tent or the room or if it is being sent outside.

I would think it is normal dust caused by the charcoal pieces being moved around inside the cannister during shipping. Some dust would be normal. I have seen it on the plastic wrap placed over the canister.

Thanks for the reply bud, my filter and fan are mounted inside my tent pulling air out with a twin controller keeping negative pressure exhausting through a wall around my house my equipment:
tent - 4x4x7 foot
Fan - Systemair RVK 6 Inch L1 720m3/hr
Filter - Phresh 150 x 600mm 1000m3/hr
New filter waiting to be fit
Carboair60 150x660mm 1350m3/hr

Also My fan has always been on a lower setting as I read somewhere it performs better pulling air through slowly but in my head I thought a faster exchange of fresh air would kind of dilute the the particles so less work load at one time but couldn't find much info on it.

Thanks

I use an AC Infinity 6” fan with a Australian charcoal filter, which was $50 for just the filter. Guud reviews. On my second filter, got two seasons out of the first one. I have it discharging into the same room. I can check the hose for smells and so far none. Guud luck!

I use an AC Infinity 6” fan with a Australian charcoal filter, which was $50 for just the filter. Guud reviews. On my second filter, got two seasons out of the first one. I have it discharging into the same room. I can check the hose for smells and so far none. Guud luck!

I was tempted by one as they seem popular but check out the reviews off Amazon.. one guy even said he prefers the phresh filter that I have yet mine is shocking unless I've not set the speed right or something I have no clue..

Screenshot_20221128-174306.jpg

There is another forum on this message board that might have some info on charcoal filters. It is called "420 Product Reviews" and should be up at the top of the list on the main page. You might also get more people to see your question there.

Thanks mate I will give it a try.. I did see that but wasn't sure if that was for a specific make/model of equipment reather than a open question to all..

Some loose carbon is to be expected.
I always vacuum my filters before installation. Fine particles could clog the filter reducing it's efficiency.
This should be done periodically throughout the life of the filter as well. They can/will clog up due to dust particulate over time. Making sure the prefilter is clean helps too.

Other things that may reduce efficiency are high humidity over 70%
(don't run your cabon of this is the case,it will kill the filter) and any pinholes in the venting or any unsealed connections.
Run the extraction fan fast enough that you get negative pressure. The sides of the tent will pull inward slightly.

I use the AC Infinity 4" filters as well as some of the iPower and Vivosuns.
Haven't had any issues.

Some loose carbon is to be expected.
I always vacuum my filters before installation. Fine particles could clog the filter reducing it's efficiency.
This should be done periodically throughout the life of the filter as well. They can/will clog up due to dust particulate over time. Making sure the prefilter is clean helps too.

Other things that may reduce efficiency are high humidity over 70%
(don't run your cabon of this is the case,it will kill the filter) and any pinholes in the venting or any unsealed connections.
Run the extraction fan fast enough that you get negative pressure. The sides of the tent will pull inward slightly.

I use the AC Infinity 4" filters as well as some of the iPower and Vivosuns.
Haven't had any issues.

Thanks for the advice I will definitely give this new one a hoover before use and also have a hig pressure blower so I'll give it a good blast after every run.
Yeah I definitely don't reach 70%rh and my intake and exhaust run on a controller so I can turn them up or down whilst keeping the same level of negative pressure.. just found my RH drops if I turn it up so left it on low.

Could I ask what size your rooms are with the 4" filter?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice I will definitely give this new one a hoover before use and also have a hig pressure blower so I'll give it a good blast after every run.
Yeah I definitely don't reach 70%rh and my intake and exhaust run on a controller so I can turn them up or down whilst keeping the same level of negative pressure.. just found my RH drops if I turn it up so left it on low.

Could I ask what size your rooms are with the 4" filter?

Thanks
I was running them in a 2x2 and also a 2x4 tent.
I'm in the middle of moving house so I have yet to decide what to do in the new space.
Anything beyond a 4x4 in size would need a 6" or larger depending upon sq. ft.

I was running them in a 2x2 and also a 2x4 tent.
I'm in the middle of moving house so I have yet to decide what to do in the new space.
Anything beyond a 4x4 in size would need a 6" or larger depending upon sq. ft.

Yeah I have a 4" in my 3x3 but it's not fully been tested yet just hope this new filter does the job otherwise I give up.. I even have a enviroklenz in my exhaust room with new filters but that doesn't help 🤣🤦🏽‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom