If NJ Can Go To Pot, Why Not NY

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
State Sen. Diane Savino today called on New York to follow New Jersey's lead and legalize medical marijuana.

Savino sent a letter to Gov. Cuomo urging action after New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said his state would move forward with it's medical marijuana program.

"Anyone who has watched a loved one struggle with a debilitating illness would do almost anything to help alleviate their pain," Savino said. "New Jersey showed real compassion for Garden State residents who are suffering from cancer, multiple sclerosis and other life-threatening diseases. We need to follow this example and pass legislation to allow doctors to prescribe medical marijuana when no other option is available."

In her letter to Cuomo dated today, Savino notes that New Jersey becomes the 21st state, in addition to Washington, D.C., to allow doctors to prescribe pot for medicinal purposes.

"As someone who has lost both parents to cancer, I know first-hand what it is like to see a loved one in pain and not be able to do anything about it," the Staten Island Democrat wrote.

She says the bill she is co-sponsoring with Sen. Thomas Duane (D-Manhattan) and Assembly Health Committee Chairman Richard Gottfried (D-Manhattan) would allow eligible patients to purchase pot through a "registered dispensing facility" with doctor approval.

Patients, she said, would be required to register with the state Health Department and be limited to having just 2.5 ounces of pot at a time.

"I urge you to lend your support and leadership to this legislation, and give doctors one more tool to manage pain and alleviate suffering for thousands of New Yorkers," Savino wrote to Cuomo.

But the bill's chances remain slim at best. Many Senate Republicans, who control the chamber,
have oppose the idea as does Cuomo himself.

"The dangers of medical marijuana outweigh the benefits," Cuomo said during the campaign. "I don't think the bill passes."

iw_diane_savino.jpg

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: NYDailyNews.com
Author: Ken Lovett
Copyright: NYDailyNews.com

Why do they always try to use cannabis as a last resort medication. How bout we use cannabis which has never killed anyone first before you move on to the more dangerous prescription drugs. It pains me to think that some people still think pot is dangerous. I though it was common knowledge that its never killed anyone. Even if the side effects were horrible, not killing people puts it way ahead of anything you can get at a pharmacy, including water out the fountain. It just pisses me off to here people like " Well we've tried everything else I guess we have no choice but to try pot with its many therapeutic properties, non existant mortality rate, few side effects, and barely noticeable withdrawal symptoms. I'm sorry." "No doctor try the morphine Vicodin cocktail again I'm sure it'll work this time if I chase it with half a bottle of Jack."

Back
Top Bottom