In Mile High City, Weed Sparks Up A Counterculture Clash

Denver attorney Warren Edson would like to throttle the anonymous marijuana breeder who named a potent strain of weed "Green Crack."

He's not too fond, either, of those breeders who have given strains names like "Jack the Ripper," "White Widow," "AK-47" and "Trainwreck," The Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

"How can I find them and strangle them?" Edson asks.

His beef: Edson is in the vanguard of an aggressive movement to make pot respectable –but decades of stoner culture keep dragging him down.

Medical marijuana is now legal in 15 states for patients suffering certain conditions, including, in Colorado, chronic pain. More than 60,000 Coloradans have doctor recommendations allowing them to buy marijuana; physicians are approving about 400 new patients a day. Pot shops have popped up all over, including at least 230 in the Mile High City of Denver.

Many of the new dispensaries are dingy and cramped, with bars on the windows, psychedelic posters on the walls and a generally furtive feel.

But a growing number of potrepreneurs have gone upscale, investing as much as $100,000 to launch "wellness centers" that look like spas–and just happen to sell weed. This new breed of marijuana "pharmacist" is pushing hard to professionalize the industry.

That means promoting a voluntary code of conduct at odds with the traditional buck-the-system stoner culture. The new pot professionals look down on neon cannabis-leaf signs, wince at tie-dye Bob Marley posters, and cringe at the in-your-face swagger of the names traditionally used to differentiate varieties of marijuana.

The result: a brewing culture clash within the counterculture.

"Some people don't even want to use words like 'stoner' and 'pothead,' " complains Steve Bloom, co-author of "Pot Culture: The A-Z Guide to Stoner Language and Life." He has no patience for that: "We should embrace those terms. This is who we are."

In 2000, Colorado voters amended the state constitution to let patients seek relief from pain, nausea and other symptoms by working with medical marijuana "caregivers." For years, all was discreet. Then, last summer, the Board of Health approved a liberal definition of "caregiver," opening the door to commercial dispensaries. A few months later, President Barack Obama ordered federal narcotics agents to respect state medical-marijuana laws.

The green rush was on.

Self-styled pot experts like Nick Paul, an out-of-work handyman, found that for an investment of a couple thousand dollars, they could rent a small shop, set out a dozen strains of marijuana in glass jars and reinvent themselves as bud-tenders, ringing up $80,000 a month in sales.

An industry took root, complete with security consultants, zoning advisers, even crop insurance. Westword, a Denver weekly newspaper, hired a medical marijuana reviewer.

Then came the backlash, as communities statewide moved to restrict dispensaries. The most organized and wealthy of the potrepreneurs formed trade associations to protect their interests; they hired lawyers and lobbyists, pollsters and publicists. They also took a close look at their industry–and, in some cases, recoiled.

Wanda James, a recreational smoker, says some dispensaries have such a disreputable feel, "they put me on edge."

Determined to show there's a classier way, James and her husband run the Apothecary of Colorado in a gentrified building with exposed-brick walls, airy views and unimpeachable fellow tenants–architects, software engineers, wind-energy consultants. The bud bar is lined with live cannabis plants, and a gourmet goodie-shop stocks medicinal banana-nut bread and organic-vegan-gluten-free granola.

A couple blocks away, Shawna Brown creates a similar mood at Lotus Medical, an elegant space with muted lighting, antique furniture, massage tables and a Zen garden. This, she says, is the true face of medical marijuana: dignified care for patients with AIDS, cancer or other chronic illnesses.

"People need to wake up and see this in a different light," Ms. Brown says. "It's not about Pink Floyd posters all over the walls."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Wall Street Journal
Author: Stephanie Simon
Copyright: 2010 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

i've gotta say i agree. i still use some slang when talking with other users but if i'm having a discussion about Cannabis with non-users i try to represent Cannabis in the most positive way i can. i think making a dispensary look like a party room does us no good.

i think we should also try to grow beyond all the old slang words and call the plant what it is, Cannabis. it does so much for us shouldn't we show the plant its due respect.

May as well use the scientific term Cannabis-Hemp as that is the most proper.

The reason they got away with Cannabis Prohibition is because most people couldn't read and they didn't realize that Marijuana was in fact Cannabis which is the same for the most part as Hemp etc minus the Higher levels of THC, and growth patterns.

"A rose by any other name is still but a rose"
How bout instead of throttle, Maybe airway restriction? :roorrip:

I agree that a much better image is needed. This begins with the language that we choose to use. There are so many people in this country that only have the image of Cheech and Chong's "Up In Smoke" and they want no part of those shinanigans going on in their communities.

As much as I can appreciate the counter-cultural image that stoner culture has had, we need a total shift in how cannabis is represented to the larger culture. We need the highly accomplished professional women and men, who partake regularly, to become the image of cannabis users not the classic stoner/slacker.

Personally, I don't want the stoner culture image to be erradicated but my primary hope is to get cannabis legal and accepted by the culture at large. :smokin:

it would help if celebrities like snoop dog (easy example but i've seen many others) would stop going on tv and making jokes about their rx's. i see it all the time on tv. ha ha, i have a script for marijuana. its not funny and it hurts the medical Cannabis movement.

if you use Cannabis as medicine you are a patient or a medical Cannabis user, not a stoner. grow up, show some maturity and realize that your words have consequences.

if your a stoner and just taking advantage of the medical Cannabis system to get your buzz you need to stop hiding behind sick people and the hard work and sacrifice of those who struggle to get and keep medical Cannabis legal. imo those who abuse the mmj system are no better than those who oppose it. sorry, but its how i feel.

Yes some people really do have a Medical Need.

And those people are the ones whos voices are actually heard and listened to when it comes time to testify before the Legislatures and help in getting Doctors to voice their approvals too.

Some are really making sure not to have a bunch of younger people and not wearing "Weed" garb apparel when doing such things also.

Until this is a unified front then these issues will Rain on Every One.

This is the real world of White collar to Blue collar beliefs. The White collar folks want to stay in the closet because it's comfortable to them and let the Blue collar take and deal with the problems and once the Blue collars get things worked out the White collar will come out and try to screw it up so they can control the industry. There will always be a difference in thinking between the two classes and it seems that money always wins. Just look at the difference between the two demographics and you will notice the obvious. If the White collar folks want to stay in the closet then stay in it for ever and quit trying to control everything from the closet. If you want there to be changes quit hiding out and un-button the collar and get dirty and be in the public with the rest of us.

but what if you are a stoner with medical problems? what about diverisity? i thought we all had the right to be what we want to be......but i also have seen "pot stores" that should look more profeshinal. (sorry can't spell). but as Americians arn't we sposed to be tolerant to one another? some people feel "safer" in a stoner inviorment with long hair and posters and then there is those who want a more "upscale" office. then people could pick and chose.some will make lots of $ and some won't and saddly isn't that the bottom line in some peoples eyes. And like Rodney King says"Hey ,can't we all get along?" just my thoughts,c ya,todd

This is the real world of White collar to Blue collar beliefs. The White collar folks want to stay in the closet because it's comfortable to them and let the Blue collar take and deal with the problems and once the Blue collars get things worked out the White collar will come out and try to screw it up so they can control the industry. There will always be a difference in thinking between the two classes and it seems that money always wins. Just look at the difference between the two demographics and you will notice the obvious. If the White collar folks want to stay in the closet then stay in it for ever and quit trying to control everything from the closet. If you want there to be changes quit hiding out and un-button the collar and get dirty and be in the public with the rest of us.
Amen SSNUGS !! :nicethread:

but what if you are a stoner with medical problems? what about diverisity? i thought we all had the right to be what we want to be......but i also have seen "pot stores" that should look more profeshinal. (sorry can't spell). but as Americians arn't we sposed to be tolerant to one another? some people feel "safer" in a stoner inviorment with long hair and posters and then there is those who want a more "upscale" office. then people could pick and chose.some will make lots of $ and some won't and saddly isn't that the bottom line in some peoples eyes. And like Rodney King says"Hey ,can't we all get along?" just my thoughts,c ya,todd

its a matter of balance and discretion. if you saw me you'd think stoner and old hippie. but for example if i was to go to a council meeting about mmj i'd not wear tie-dye and i'd have my hair in a ponytail. i'd try to look as respectable/straight as possible not because not because its right or fair to me but because i know that i will be judged not by the content of my heart or mind but by my appearance. its just the way this screwed up world works.

as for dispensaries i don't think our comfort with the surroundings is important. whats more important is the image we put before the public. we just need to be willing to sacrifice a little bit of what we'd like for the benefit and progress of our cause.

yes, we americans should be tolerant, but its just not the way it is.

our day will come when we get past all this marijuana hysteria but until then we need to be willing to make a few small concessions.

I agree that a much better image is needed. This begins with the language that we choose to use. There are so many people in this country that only have the image of Cheech and Chong's "Up In Smoke" and they want no part of those shinanigans going on in their communities.

As much as I can appreciate the counter-cultural image that stoner culture has had, we need a total shift in how cannabis is represented to the larger culture. We need the highly accomplished professional women and men, who partake regularly, to become the image of cannabis users not the classic stoner/slacker.

Personally, I don't want the stoner culture image to be erradicated but my primary hope is to get cannabis legal and accepted by the culture at large. :smokin:

So in otherwords we need to treat medical marijuana like an actual medicine and we need to make people see recreational marijuana like a martini.

What makes me laugh is my father was born in 1918 and he remembers when marijuana was made illegal all of his friends all were asking each other what is marijuana? |They had no idea but as my father worked on the old steam ships on the great lakes he found out it was hemp when they could no longer get replacement hemp ropes for the ship.

So in otherwords we need to treat medical marijuana like an actual medicine and we need to make people see recreational marijuana like a martini......

thank you for saying what i was trying to say in a much simpler way

User and Cateros, as a medical user in a non-medical state, I couldn't agree with you more.

I am sure though many people agree with the person whos point was put forward in the original story.

I personally dont really agree with the way some strains have been named and would prefer that strains were given names that were based more on the traits the plant has been bred to have and not given flashy names that are meant to grab our attention when searching seedbanks. For instance when I shop for new strains now I only look at seedbanks that have added links to what they consider there medicinal strains.

I have found that it is far easier to find strains that are effective for my medicinal use when I look for the strains that are rooted in the middle east and have never been dissapointed by a shiva ,kush or any hashplant, but on many occasions I have been terribly dissapoint by the names that the breeder says best reflects the effect of the plant. All I can say is BS to this as *** from barneys farm I personally found to suck compared to Himalayan gold or Hindu Kush and when compared to OG well I am sure if you smoked real OG Kush you will agree that nothing actually compares.

So Maybe its time we start sending letters to the bigseed banks and explain to them we are gaining respect and giving pot names that are controversial are counter productive not to mention the difficulty it gives new growers to find a strain that will offer them relief.

I think it would be more appropriate if we asked the breeders to start naming there strains to reflect there heritage or there medicinal properties as not only would this help give cannabis back its good name but it would aid in our ability to find the strains that are most beneficial to our individual conditions.

dispensaries could just create their own names for the strains they dispense. if a patient wants to know the original name they could just ask or it could be on the label or sign. patients would quickly become accustomed to these new names and if named correctly find the names helpful. if your truly buying the cannabis for medicine your not gonna care about the name, its the results that will matter to you. i'd love to be able to legally buy some Back-pain #1, Neuropathic #3 etc

Back
Top Bottom