Increasing trich production?

OK - been doing the reading and thinking (and smoking).

First - the pics on the site for the SIMM institute are amazing! That is definitely one helluva operation. Or was. Shame they are in a fight.

So about the dark period:

The quote you sited is all over the web. But its not on their site. I'm sure it could have originated 5 years ago when their site was a little more active. But all I see are folks quoting the quote. And the quote sounds like something someone heard.

In fact - they are pretty clear on their site that they use natural light and supplement it. They grow in a massive greenhouse. While it would be possible to do a small sample (as that quote suggests) - if you've looked at the pics of their grow or read his growing philosophy you'll see there is pretty much no way they would be able to do this on a regular basis. This does not mean we can't. We're not growing in a huge greenhouse. So we could turn off lights. So its possible this is a technique that favors the small grower and that's why commercial ops have not embraced it, and that's why we don't see greater acceptance.

Its funny you pointed out my Tomatoes example - when I re-read my post I realized what I was making it sound like. To clarify - what I mean is that the light affects flowering in two ways. 1 - shorter days tell Cannabis plants to mature faster. 2 - less light is less energy to the plant. So what I meant was if you cut back the light - you will force the plant to flower sooner, but you'll also be depriving it of light energy that I think it wants.

There are some folks up here that do this, and I've experimented - but not enough to have any conclusive results. Put it this way though - I noticed no difference either pro or con - so you could save some electricity, but not sure about increasing quality.

And lastly on the purple coloring. I think you highlited the right parts. That's a great summary of purpling. It conveys nicely the two aspects. Being that its a discussion of genetics, not growing, it does not suggest whether the purpling is beneficial, but it does describe the forced purpling by cold when the genetics are not pre-disposed as a deficiency.

So upon further review - I guess I'll try another shot at the darkness. If no obvious results then no more of that. Re the other things - I think I'm gonna stay at the stressfull ends of the recommended extremes. For example if temps are perfect 69/78 then I think 67/81 is enough stress. If humidity is supposed to be 40-60% then I think 35% is enough stress.

I will also keep an eye out though - cause there are lots of stressful (to the plant) things in growing that need to be overdone to get it right. It seems abusive to pinch off the top of a plant, but do it right and you get 4 tops. Super cropping - if you just bend the plant a little that's LST, but if you bend it more than 90 degrees on itself it triggers hormones and that's super cropping.

There's plenty of food for thought here. Great convo.

:peace:

I feel like I'm being a sourpuss here and pissing in everyone's canteen, but I figured it was worth getting my thoughts out there. I am afraid that with the internet, certain ideas gain popularity based not on real growing experience or comparisons to nature, but because it goes viral in a thread. The long and short of it is - if there were any firm "Right" answers - we'd all be doing them. I stick to the basics and try to think like mother nature when stressing my plants.

:nicethread::peace::ganjamon:

+ rep for you.:bravo:

You are more than right about certain ideas gaining popularity more because they sound good rather than ANY growing experience or anything in nature.

Botany takes a back seat to stuff dreamed up after a few bong hits. :scratchinghead::rofl:

I've been gardening for years and it just seems that growing MJ is about 97% good gardening practices and about 3% MJ specific.

DD

I use molasses and I put my girls in a cold dark room at night. It's like 58 degrees in the dark room and the flowering room is 80. My purple jurkle is covered in heavy trichomes at 3 weeks of flowering already. It's still got 5 more weeks at least. This thing is going to be a few stalks with a giant hash ball connecting it all. I can't wait to see how much oil this makes. I bent and snapped branches at 2 weeks into flowering and lollipop them and continue daily pruning so only the top, biggest buds grow. I make the whole canopy the same height with twine, clips, and training. I pinched my girls many times. they have 30-60+ heads each. They're 1'6" tall and 3' wide on average. I use some good additives too. AN line of nutrients, a little home made tea of guano, bone meal and blood meal. Voodoo Juice, Tarantula, Piraña, Bud Candy, Nirvana. Yummy yummy buds is all gummy.

Ok, guys. First things first. Nutrients don't influence trichomes production, and molasses won't do it either. Production of trichs is around 80% genetics-dependent and around 20% sun or light dependent. Short answer is if you want flowers full of crystal go for indica-dominant strains which have been bred in perfect conditions, and then provide them with as much UVB rays they can handle. Outdoor best results you're gonna get the closer to equator you grow, and indoor by using top shelf LED lights. Don't believe in myths flying around, do your homework.

Ok, guys. First things first. Nutrients don't influence trichomes production, and molasses won't do it either. Production of trichs is around 80% genetics-dependent and around 20% sun or light dependent. Short answer is if you want flowers full of crystal go for indica-dominant strains which have been bred in perfect conditions, and then provide them with as much UVB rays they can handle. Outdoor best results you're gonna get the closer to equator you grow, and indoor by using top shelf LED lights. Don't believe in myths flying around, do your homework.

What do you mean by nutrients don't influence trichome production?
No nutrients= no trichomes.

Top shelf L.E.Ds ?? Where's the proof they produce more trichomes than hids ?

I do agree on indica dominate strains though.

I personally try to keep all of my environmental factors in optimal range to grow the healthiest plant that I can. This leads to high grade plants,not magic juices and kicking the shit out of plants. :rofl:

I've read about quite a few experiments using stress to try and force a plant into making more trichomes but I haven't seen the proof that it actually works. There are just too many uncontrolled variables for me to believe it works.

Ok, I'll put it like that. Grow 5-10 different varieties next to each other with the same medium and light conditions, and you'll see that one or twoo will start sweating trichs like crazy while the other ones will produce so-so resin, and some so little that you won't believe it, and that's genetics :hookah:

Back
Top Bottom