Increasing yield with defoliation indoors: What's it mean? How to do it?

IMG_20140423_122559.jpg

It looks to me like you have 3 bulbs of 23 watts each or 69 watts per plant.
You are going to need every one of those watts for flowering, but should be fine as long as you keep the plants 12 inches/30 cm wide or less.

I see two choices:
Keep your plants in a cone shape and place the bulbs as close as possible in a triangle shape that is about 2-5 inches BELOW the top of your top cola and 2-3inches above and beside the leaves farther down the cone. Pack those light bulbs in right around the cone shaped canopy of each plant.

Or

Try to make a flat canopy with and have the bulbs in the same triangle shape you have now. This would require bending and training your branches to form a ring about 6 inches/15cm in diameter and bring your lights down to 2-3cm above the ring of buds.:Namaste:

If I had to choose, I think it would be faster and easier to circle the natural cone shadow of your existing plants.

_ _ _ _

This opinion is based on reading, and not personal experience.
Because your have lights enough for 12 inch/30 cm plants, you should not spread your plants and wider

I've been growing this strain for 4 years now, and this is the FIRST time I've done a real defoliation. Maybe a little too much, but we'll see.
Instead of doing a side by side comparison, I just did the whole room, and it goes like this:

6 HPS 1000W
6 plants per light-36 plants
3 gallon soil bags
Ocean Forest Soil
Fox Farm feeding schedule

When all goes well, I get about 6 lbs. Lots of air buds though. I'm trying to reduce that.

I defoliated yesterday which was day 21 of the 12-12 flower cycle.

So, anyways I would appreciate some feedback. Check out the pics.

Cheese defol experiment start to finish. I think it worked, what do you think?

6 weeks before and after defol
G16_Ch2_6wk1.jpg
G16_Ch2_6wkdefol1.jpg

13 weeks
G16_Ch2_13wk.jpg

1 week flowering before and after
G16_Ch_1wk_flwr1.jpg

G16_Ch_1wk_flwr1defol.jpg
G16_Ch_1wk_flwr2.jpg
G16_Ch_1wk_flwr2defol.jpg

5 weeks flowering
G16_Ch_5wk_flwr1.jpg
G16_Ch_5wk_flwr3.jpg
G16_Ch_5wk_flwr2.jpg

6 weeks flowering
G16_Ch_6wk_flwr1topside.jpg
G16_Ch_6wk_flwr1top.jpg
G16_Ch_6wk_flwr1topside2.jpg

9 weeks flowering
G16_Ch_9wk_flwr1topof.jpg
G16_Ch_9wk_flwr1side.jpg

G16_Ch_9wk_harvest.jpg

G16_Ch_9wk_harvest2.jpg

G16_Ch_harvest_cola_3.jpg
G16_Ch_9wk_flwr1top.jpg
G16_Ch_harvest_bud_cu.jpg

Thanks Keltic69,
I'll take more pics in a few days and post em up. Oh and that pic of the nuggets were from the last batch. Someone gave me a clone 4 years ago and he called it Blackberry. Some people say that blackberry does not exist anymore. i'm so curious....if it's not blackberry, what do you guys think it looks like?

Nice timeline Hashhound.
Photos put the story together for me.

TY Radog

It wasn't a by the book defol, but I followed pretty close.
I had sprouted a Cheese 2 grows ago that I thought wasn't going to make it, so I sprouted another to replace her.
The replacement Cheese took off fine and went to the flower room.

The first one had popped out of the grow cube and was in a weird spiral like a straightened safety pin with a loop in the middle. I placed it back in the cube and it was a very slow grower. I figured she would be a good candidate for a long veg defol.
I had 10-12 weeks to experiment while her sister was in the flower room.

She ended up veged in a small closet under a few CFL's for 13.5 weeks.

At the same time I was doing another experiment with wrapping a White Widow clone around the pot in a spiral shape.
I had seen this in photos on line and thought I'd give it a shot too.

and this
G16_WW_clone_11wk.jpg

turned into this
G16_WW_6wk_flwr2topside.jpg

G16_WW_7wk_flwr1side1.jpg

My first grow was a heavy Defoil by accident, I had no idea what mites, Powdery mildew, nutrient burn or any of that stuff was so I Was losing foliage left and right so I was always picking them, but the plant just kept on going! I ended up treating the mites and PM, this was a Blue Dream I got from a local dispensary, ended up with about 2 oz with one topping, no LST and de foiling the shit outta her! Not suprised this works

The best way I found to defoliate is look at the plant from the side and top, make sure your light has a clear path to all bud sites. If the path is blocked, you can tuck the fan leaf out of the way. If tucking doesn't work, just cut it.

The next thing to mention, is you don't want to do too much cutting late in flower, as it can stress the plant, cause hermies, and/or reduce yields.

How far into flower are you?

And another thing worth mentioning, is some folks will remove the small skinny lower branches hidden underneath everything else.

The best way I found to defoliate is look at the plant from the side and top, make sure your light has a clear path to all bud sites. If the path is blocked, you can tuck the fan leaf out of the way. If tucking doesn't work, just cut it.

The next thing to mention, is you don't want to do too much cutting late in flower, as it can stress the plant, cause hermies, and/or reduce yields.

How far into flower are you?

And another thing worth mentioning, is some folks will remove the small skinny lower branches hidden underneath everything else.

I'm at day 32, and my buds are so small..

Is there a rule of thumb to remove leaves?

You can read more here OG Kush & Bubblegum XL Day 29 Flower Stage

I just wash my hands and pinch them off.:)

Went to my yard and got crazy i found what looked exactly like balls after defoil.. i cut it up and there was something that looked like a little black rock very little.. but my plants are getting so much light now!

I lost my iphone and that was my camera source so waiting a couple days for a canon camera to arrive!! Yaay

I found balls on my harvested Northern light, so i expect some balls are normal the balls you don't want have seeds inside i suppose :O

And i was wrong the little thing inside the supposed ball it's white with a black dot.. really need the camera to show you guys this..

but I've made light hit all buds and the funny thing is i was missing a strong smell from the babies but now uhh different story!!

Balls are all bad unless you want to fertilize a female.

Balls will not contain seeds, they contain pollen. When mature, the balls burst open and the pollen floats around, sticking to the pistils. The seeds then grow inside the calyxes.

I will try to get a pic when the canon camera arrive!

I did a "little defoil" heres before and after!
IMG_221710.JPG
0021900.JPG

0031821.JPG
0051615.JPG
0071346.JPG

Decided to harvest and wash my Northern Light automatic, now it's drying then i better cure it! ;)
0081240.JPG

A lovely smell is developing mmmmh :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom