Infusing vanilla aroma with vanilla bean in reservoir

bloo58

G'day everyone, I've done a search thru the forums and on google and cant find any solid info on this, so any info or thoughts on how it might go would be really appreciated.

So, from my time as a chef and long before I've had a love affair with vanilla, not your 'run of the mill' bottled essence or extract, I'm talking these bad boys

10_Madagascar_Vanilla_Beans.jpg

I've had a lot of experience cooking and doings various other things (oil/alcohol infusions, dried potpourri's) and have always thought vanilla infused weed would be something pretty special.

Anyway, I'm thinking the best way to do this, would be the same way you'd do an oil infusion, which is as simple as dropping a whole bean into the reservoir and allowing it to leech into the water over time

I'm pretty confident from what I know of vanilla's flavoring power that it will be successful, vanilla sticks to everything and anything, just not sure of other problems it might produce with this introduction of plant matter to the reservoir, So, apart from the bean decomposing in the reservoir, and the addition of all the vanilla oil to the mix, what other issues could I run into with something like this

thanks for reading :D

I dont think I'm a buyer. Vanillin is known to cause migrane headaches so to have an abundance of this molecule in a medicine I'm going to consume regularly does not seem like a good idea. To make matters even worse, naturally derived vanilla extract contains many many other compounds other than vanillin. So, unless you want to infuse potentially harmful, and toxic chemicals into your medication, I would say its not a good idea.

I have synthesized purified vanillin in the lab before, just because it's used as a flavoring in food doesn't make it safe to inhale it =)

Although it's an interesting idea...

Right well further research on the science side has killed that idea, Vanillin MSDS, hazardous to inhale, rofl.. has other compounds proven to be cancer causing as well, bummer haha

*Inhalation: Prolonged or repeated inhalation may affect the brain and blood (changes in white and red blood cell count).

BOOO VANILLIN!!

Cheers Leester ;P

That's too bad. I know that adding extracts to the water and watering your plants a day or two before you harvest will add the flavor to the plant. I've heard of people using concentrated orange juice, or grape juice. I've also heard of people using extracts .... like you'd use for baking. I haven't tried it .....

yeah, unfortunatly vanillin is the extract you want in this case, thats where the goodness is, its only present at around 2% concentration in a avg bean, when injested its no problem, vape it and it becomes toxic, not sure how toxic, or in what doses its big trouble, but it makes the process that much more scary, it might still work just having the bean in the room while curing, but still, i dont need any more carcinogens, might stick to good old mango and passionfruit :p

I will be finding more out about this..

Back
Top Bottom