Interactions with meds?

Kvrzorz

I take Prozac and Abilify for panic and bipolar disorder, and I've been looking everywhere online for possible interactions with weed and I'm getting mixed results. Some people say not to even try it, and others say they take the same medications with no side affects while toking. I've been on these meds for a few months and have been too nervous to try smoking, but I currently plan on taking a hit or two this weekend and seeing how I feel.
I'm looking for anyone who knows more than I do, so I'm open to any advice!

Hi Kvrzorz,

Some people who smoke ( with prozac) has an adverse affect and others none. Strains could be an important role. You will have to experiment. Go very easy (one hit and wait for the high to take effect before smoking more). Keep us posted on your testing.

Just to add on to Moto's advice, if possible, I would suggest being with a friend or loved one while testing out the effects.

It should help keep you more relaxed, and minimize any additional anxieties you may experience alone, which can prevent false positives of "negative" interactions.

And worst case scenario, if there are any negative interactions, you'll have someone to help you through it that you know and trust.

Hi Antics,

I welcome all advice Brother! We are all here to help and share knowledge my Friend. Trust me, I do not know everything, ask my Wife!
You're advice is right on in this scenario. I wish more people like yourself would chime in. This is how we learn and educate ourselves on MJ. There is no medical journals on this intel, so all we have is peeps like us who have experienced things in life and share. TY

Just to add on to Moto's advice, if possible, I would suggest being with a friend or loved one while testing out the effects.

It should help keep you more relaxed, and minimize any additional anxieties you may experience alone, which can prevent false positives of "negative" interactions.

And worst case scenario, if there are any negative interactions, you'll have someone to help you through it that you know and trust.

Kvrzorz: Something else I thought of this morning, would be also to smoke/vape in very small increments.

You didn't say if you've used Cannabis before. I would suggest starting with a very small bud. The size of a pea, or smaller, like a grain of rice if possible. Inhale, but not too deep, and don't hold it long. You're looking at possible drug interactions, and have read comments on both sides of the fence. I don't know what the possible side effects/complications are, but I do know most pharmaceuticals are bad news. After inhaling that small dose, I suggest waiting at least 45 minutes before taking an additional dose. You want to see what the peak is like, and you'll also want to pay attention to things like what happens if you take TOO much of your medication. Look up those symptoms online, and when you smoke/vape the Cannabis, pay close attention to see if you notice any of those symptoms. It's strange, but somehow, you take a specific dose of a medication, and if it interacts badly with another, it can somehow INCREASE the level of that drug in your system.

I have an issue with certain medications interacting with an anti-convulsant that I take. And I can't tell you how many times a doctor or dentist has known this information (I tell every fucking one of them!) And they still try to prescribe me something that causes serious side effects with my medication. (Side effects that can range from toxic levels of my anti-convulsant in my blood stream all the way up to death)

So you've done your research which is great, but unfortunately, Cannabis is in its infancy so a lot about it is still unknown. We're all guinea pigs here, and I've read that Cannabis has caused seizures, as well as prevented them.. And I'm going to have to take that step into the unknown myself soon as well.

Something else to keep in mind, is the RSO method of dosing with Oil. Rick Simpson has been doing that for quite some time, and even he suggests all users start very small because he specifically states that each person reacts differently, and has a different tolerance for Cannabis. I think we can safely assume that medicating via smoking/vaping follows those same rules.

@Moto Thank you kindly! I try to help when/where I can, but still being new and still learning, I'm quite limited as to when I can help, so when an opportunity arises, I go for it. :)

Back
Top Bottom