Is a 13.8 watt LED light enough for clones in a 15" x 10" area?

flogger11

Hey guys, I am looking for a LED light (or maybe even a CFL?) to grow clones with. I will have them in a very small area (15x10") and will be growing them to 7-8" tall before bringing them to the main grow area.

So how much light do I need? One of these 13.8 watt quad bands looks like it might do the trick, what do you guys think? Recommendations?

Here are the links to a couple of the lights I was thinking about

225 High Power Red Blue LED Plant Grow Light Panel - TheLaShop

Amazon - LED Wholesalers 2501QUAD Blue/Red/Orange/White 225 LED 13.8 Watt Square Grow Light Panel 110 Volt

Thanks for the hand!

They may possible do the job but they are very weak lights and will have to be within 2"-3" of the plant. It may be cheaper and have better results to go with a couple CFLs or a small T5 fixture. If you go with CLFs, make sure you get a high Kelvin rating 5000K+ (more blue light). This will help with inter-nodal length and give you shorter bushier plants.

They may possible do the job but they are very weak lights and will have to be within 2"-3" of the plant. It may be cheaper and have better results to go with a couple CFLs or a small T5 fixture. If you go with CLFs, make sure you get a high Kelvin rating 5000K+ (more blue light). This will help with inter-nodal length and give you shorter bushier plants.

I tried a T5 before and just didnt have much luck, I even bought a plant bulb for it. Did I do something wrong?

How much heat do CFL's give off? Would a couple 23 watters be enough and would the heat level be low?

thanks again for the hand!

CFLs give off very little heat. There are a number of people here that do full grow cycles with them and you can keep them as close as a few inches from the plant. They don't have a lot of penetration so the closer you can keep them without your leaves burning the better. They do work great for vegging tho.

Back
Top Bottom