Is it dead?

NoLimit

I'm using ffof as my growing medium. It's had nutrient burn for about a week now. Does it look like it can recover or is it done?
420-magazine-mobile148533641.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I uses FFOF. When starting my seedlings I place a funnel in my fabric pot and fill with FFOF around the funnel leaving an open column to about an inch from the bottom of the pot. the open column starts out wider at the top and gets narrower near the bottom of the pot. I fill that space about 1/2 way up with a mix of FFOF and (mostly) Pro mix HP to cut the FF a bit. The top of that column is filled with straight Promix HP. I set my germinated seed in the pro mix and cover with a very thin layer of Pro mix then a thin layer of FFOF on top of the pro mix. I water only around the seedling at first to encourage the tap root to drop straight to the bottom while following the water. After about a week I start to water a bit further out, getting larger as I go. This helps ease the plant into the rich soil. I have done this 4 times with success each time.

It is very hard to tell from the shadow across the top of the pot but I can see just a little bit of the soil on top and it looks quiet wet.
if you just recently watered you could flush her with say 3 gallons of water then leave her alone until she dries out but That would be just a guess.

What concerns me more is how you got to this spot in the 1st place. The only way to learn how to do something right after having a problem is to know what you did wrong in the 1st place. I will give you an example of how this could be a problem.

"I'm using ffof as my growing medium. It's had nutrient burn for about a week now. Does it look like it can recover or is it done?"

You told us a little information but very little.here are a few things that would have made it easier to understand what was going on.
"I'm using ffof as my growing medium. So far I have only given her straight H2O that has been dechlorinated for 24 hours and was PH'd to 6.4 Or perhaps I have been using RO water to feed her and was giving her FF Grow Big diluted down to 1/4 strength that was PH'd down to 6.4 Or I have been only giving her tap water with no nutrientsIt's had nutrient burn for about a week now. I have only watered every 6 daysor it has been quiet hot here so I water her every day or She sits outside in a spot where it gets direct sunlight all day or she is grown in my grow tent but we have no air conditioning and the temp in the tent has hit the upper 90s at least 3 times in the last week and my RH% is only 25%Does it look like it can recover or is it done?

Those are just a few of the things you could have mentioned that would be helpful. Can she recover, YES but the question you really should be asking yourself is is she worth saving with your knowledge of the plant. While it would be a good learning experience, this is true, the plant has been majorly stressed at a very young age and it will take some time for her to fully recover. If this is your only bean, then by all means, do what you can to save her, but if you have access to more beans might I suggest you do a little research and start again. Pop a new seed, start her out in say a solo cup or 3 to 4 inch pot with seedling potting soil, do a little more research then up pot her to a 1 gallon pot when she is almost root bound in that 3 to 4 inch pot.
Check out Major Pita's thread on how to water your seeding, it is a very good thread with lots of pictures and very detailed information on how much and when to do what.

Which ever direction you choose I wish you the best of luck and happy growing

I have always planted seeds directly into FFOF and perlite and have never had an issue with it being too "hot". The reason people burn seedlings in FFOF is from OVERWATERING. The more you water, the more the nutrients become available for the plants uptake. At this age it will certainly burn them. I mist the top soil and keep a humidity dome over them and make sure the humidity dome always has moisture in it. Never have had an issue with burn

Good luck, you've got some solid advice above

:thumb:

Im more concerned about the growth pattern very very sparse for its size. Is it a 100% sativa? If so definitely stop the nutes.

My plants by that height ha e a few internodes already. You might not have enough light either. If the plant can use the nutes it takes up it will burn everytime from that too.

We just need more info to help you.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I have always planted seeds directly into FFOF and perlite and have never had an issue with it being too "hot". The reason people burn seedlings in FFOF is from OVERWATERING. The more you water, the more the nutrients become available for the plants uptake. At this age it will certainly burn them. I mist the top soil and keep a humidity dome over them and make sure the humidity dome always has moisture in it. Never have had an issue with burn

Good luck, you've got some solid advice above

:thumb:

Nailed it! This is the same reason you can have leaves yellow from nitrogen deficiency even though the medium is full of N. Too much water not only makes nutrients more available but if it is a constant issue the roots will prune up like fingers in a bathtub and stop taking up anything...nutes or water.

I have planted directly in FFOF without issue as well. Just like most growers, I am constantly experimenting. The main reason I plant into a pocket of Promix HP is because it is gives the tap root a pre determined "Path of Least Resistance". If it follow it, the roots will branch and expand quicker, giving my autos more size when they start to flower. Pro mix is also very airy, so it sheds water quickly. My last run I was able to top at 10 days. My record in FFOF only is 14 days. Could be genetics, but 4 for 4 on this method right now and am going to start 2 more next week.

Nailed it! This is the same reason you can have leaves yellow from nitrogen deficiency even though the medium is full of N. Too much water not only makes nutrients more available but if it is a constant issue the roots will prune up like fingers in a bathtub and stop taking up anything...nutes or water.

I have planted directly in FFOF without issue as well. Just like most growers, I am constantly experimenting. The main reason I plant into a pocket of Promix HP is because it is gives the tap root a pre determined "Path of Least Resistance". If it follow it, the roots will branch and expand quicker, giving my autos more size when they start to flower. Pro mix is also very airy, so it sheds water quickly. My last run I was able to top at 10 days. My record in FFOF only is 14 days. Could be genetics, but 4 for 4 on this method right now and am going to start 2 more next week.

Hmm.. I might have to give that a shot and experiment myself. I topped my two current autos at day 12 with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom