Is my ballast going to explode?

Hydrogrown

I have a 400w mh/hps system with an electronic ballast, Today the light was unplugged on accident and when I plugged it back in the light did not turn back on. I checked the other wire connections on the ballast and as I pushed them in the ballast started smoking and making a noise like it was on fire inside. Does anyone know what the hell is going on I need a light in there!

It's times like that makes me glad I have plenty of spare EVERYTHING, including pumps, fans, ballasts, bulbs, and diagnostic meters.

If something goes wrong I replace the defective component immediately.

Don't take a chance with that ballast until you isolate the problem.

Thanks a lot man thats good advice.
I searched all over the internet and found no one with problems like me with my ballast. Even on this thread 100 views and only one person has anything to say about it. I'm looking at getting it replaced by who I bought it from I mean it was 4 days old.. As for now I'm going to plug it in in 2 hrs when the lights are supposed to come on and see if it was just the bulb needing to cool down or something. Hopefully all goes well.

P.S. if there is someone out there who is like " oh man they are going to blow up their ballast or whole light if they do that" SPEAK UP! Im watching vigilantly to see if anyone knows whats going on here. Thanks for looking!:lot-o-toke:

P.S. if there is someone out there who is like " oh man they are going to blow up their ballast or whole light if they do that" SPEAK UP!

Well I guess my answer wasn't emphatic enough.
I'll try it again.

Never plug in ANY electrical device if it's smoking, sparking, or making unusual noises.

Man, if it was smoking I would NOT plug it in. Unless you want the fire dept checking out your grow.

Take it back and get it right. Don't play and don't be stupid.

DD

Yea i think i might be late here but what i beleive is happening is on the ballasts electronic circut board soder got spilled and bridged a gap between two electrical nodes and caused a short so dont plug it in, it prob wont explode but weirder things have defenitely happened

Back
Top Bottom