Is something wrong with this new growth?

Doing research it looks like in this second pic the plant may have some symptoms of nitrogen toxicity based on how the leaves are curling down in some spots. Do you guys agree? Strange since I've only fed them 2x ever...

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hmmm. Yeah it does look a little N rich- all that lush green soft/floppy looking growth, and the top photo looks like a magnesium deficiency. Its strange. I don't grow in soil, but people generally seem happy with Ocean Forest, once they get past the seedling stage. (From what I read in the forum, it seems a bit too rich for seedlings). Did you transplant and feed at the same time?

On the other hand...
Magnesium deficiency, if that's what it is, would probably be ph related in your case, assuming the OF has all that the plant needs, and it should.
When I've had the high ph/curling problem I mentioned before, it generally went hand in hand with a dark green coloration. So it's maybe possible your problems could be entirely ph related. But that would be unusual for someone using a trusted soil mix.
And- my plants didn't get that lush floppy N-rich look so...
I knew this wouldn't be the most helpful post....

Hopefully a soil grower will have some better input.

So weird, I'm positive I've been watering with ~6.0pH. I adjusted yesterday's feeding down as well and it should've been spot on. Do you know how long a pH problem normally takes to resolve once you start watering with proper pH water?

It usually takes me almost a couple weeks before its obvious that the plant is really thriving again. I edited my post a little. I'm sort of out of my depth (even more) with a soil grow. And as I mentioned, your plants do have some aspects of N toxicity that mine didn't have on ph problems alone. :hmmmm:

You know, I'm not as fond of flushing as I used to be, especially around early flowering. I associate it with screwing up my plants worse. It's one thing doing it in soilless, in a fairly dead and sterile medium, but soil is meant to contain all sorts of nutrients and microorganisms.
I really hope more soil experts chime in on this.

If it was me in your situation though, I think I would- leave the plant unflushed, not feed or make any drastic changes, let it burn through the N if that's the issue, keep a close eye on the ph going in, and do more reading on the subject of ph in soil to make sure I know what that optimum ph should be, and test the runoff next watering to see if anything very unusual crops up. That could be the wrong approach, and maybe a more experienced soil grower will come along and advise you to flush, but I have found that if I make too many changes in a short time it makes it even more difficult to assess what's happening. There are a lot of interconnected factors and it quickly becomes confusing.
The ultimate problem solving tool for me has been side by side grows, but it does take up a lot of space doing that.

Are you sure your plants have enough magnesium? That should be contained in your soil, right?
I'm really on the run right now so excuse the scattered nature of these posts...
Epsom salts can be fed to the plants as a mag source, or used in a foliar spray. Definitely mag issues going on.

Ok thanks for your help Weasel! It's strange that 2 plants with very similar phenos of this strain (Big Bud) are going through similar issues, while I have a different pheno that looks damn near perfect.

I'll pick up some Epsom salts and have them on hand if that's what this ends up being.

More research has lead me to agree Weasel. I have yellowing of lower leaves, tips curling under and twisted new growth. Definitely looking like a magnesium problem. I'm certain my pH is right because I've been super diligent about it lately, so supplementing with Epsom salts should be my next move.

Just flushed my worst looking plant with about a gallon of 6.0pH water. I captured and measured the runoff at 6.6pH. That should (I believe) indicate a soil pH of about 6.9-7.0, which is probably a bit high. Not sure if it's so high as to cause the stress I've been seeing, but hoping the flush helps. Also, I've heard mixed opinions on the color of runoff water indicating health problems. What do you guys make of this color?

420-magazine-mobile1695046795.jpg

Thanks weasel. Yea it's not overly concerning but I think the flush was probably due. It's really likely these plants are all due for a feeding. I realized the FF Big Bloom doesn't have much in it, so I ordered some Grow Big, which does. I'll feed them tomorrow and see how they do.

Could definitely tell just by this plant's stature. Super strong and tree like. Off with his head!

It looks male because of the round shape, plus there appears to be two together on the left side. But the photo is too blurry to say for sure - wait a day or two and you'll definitely know, if you're not sure already.

Damn. I'm thinking 3 of my 4 larger plants are male. I'm left with one definite female and 2 smaller plants that I can't tell yet. Damn damn damn

Back
Top Bottom