Is The Denver DEA Going Rogue?

Colorado's burgeoning medical marijuana community is up in arms after a series of DEA raids in recent weeks. First, DEA agents hit medical marijuana laboratories in Denver and Colorado Springs that tested for THC levels and contaminants such as mold. Then, late last week, DEA agents raided and arrested Highland Park medical marijuana grower Chris Bartkowicz after he appeared in local media talking about his grow operation.

While no charges have been filed against the lab operators, Colorado US Attorney David Gaoutte announced Tuesday that he would prosecute Bartkowicz, who now faces up to 40 years in federal prison for his efforts. The pattern is similar to that seen previously in California, where DEA often raided dispensaries, but federal prosecutors only prosecuted some of those raided.

The DEA actions appear to fly in the face of Obama campaign promises to stop the raids. Those promises were, the medical marijuana community thought, kept when Attorney General Eric Holder issued a Department of Justice memorandum instructing federal officials to lay off medical marijuana in states where it is legal -- unless the provider is violating both state and federal law. That memo went out to all US Attorneys, as well as acting DEA administrator Michele Leonhart, who has since been nominated to be the permanent administrator of the agency.

The October Justice Department memo said the feds should not go after people in "clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana." The memo said nothing about "large grows" or testing labs not being included.

Denver DEA Special Agent in Charge (SAC) Jeffrey Sweetin at first sounded as if he had missed the memo. In an interview last Saturday with the Denver Post he threatened to go after the state's rapidly increasing number of medical marijuana dispensaries. "Technically, every dispensary in the state is in blatant violation of federal law," he said. "The time is coming when we go into a dispensary, we find out what their profit is, we seize the building and we arrest everybody. They're violating federal law; they're at risk of arrest and imprisonment."

In an interview with Denver's TV 9 News, Sweetin carried on in the same vein, saying that even though state law allows for medical marijuana, federal law does not. "We will continue to enforce the federal law. That's what we are paid to do," he said.

Sweetin said the Justice Department guidelines give him discretion. "Discretion is: I can't send my DEA agents out on 10-plant grows. I'm not interested in that, it's not what we do. We work criminal organizations that are enterprises generating funds by distributing illegal substances," Sweetin said.

By Tuesday, though, Sweetin was singing a slightly different tune in an interview with Westword. "We are not declaring war on dispensaries," he said -- though he added with a laugh, "If we were declaring war on dispensaries, they would not be hard to find. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting thirty of them."

Sweetin also took a pot shot at Denver medical marijuana attorney Robert Corry, who filed a complaint with the Department of Justice inspector general's office alleging waste, fraud, abuse, and misconduct against the department and the DEA. The complaint asks the inspector general to sanction Sweetin and the other agents involved.

People like Corry and others critical of the raids are doing people a disservice, Sweetin said. "I think the people who claim to represent marijuana growers in this state are trying to create this fear, and I think that's sad," he said without a trace of irony.

The question facing Colorado's medical marijuana community is whether Sweetin has gone off the reservation or whether the raids represent a shift in the Obama administration's approach to medical marijuana in the states where it is legal.

"It's hard to say whether it's a rogue law enforcement effort limited to Colorado or whether we have something to worry about in regards to not keeping the promise made by the Justice Department memo last October," said Kris Hermes, spokesman for the medical marijuana advocacy group Americans for Safe Access. "It's worth noting that two days before the first lab raid that President Obama nominated Michele Leonhart to head DEA. She's already acting administrator, a holdover from the Bush administration, but it was alarming to activists and advocates to find out we were going to get more of the same. She was the deputy administrator under Karen Tandy when the DEA carried out more than 200 aggressive raids against the people of California," he said.

"It seems like a rogue office," said Brian Vicente, leader of the marijuana law reform group Sensible Colorado. "Sweetin is saying marijuana is not a medicine as if he were a doctor, and the US Attorney is following his lead to prosecute the providers. This is very concerning. Sweetin has long been an absolute enemy of marijuana, and now, an enemy of Colorado voters, who voted for medical marijuana."

"Hopefully, this is just an instance of rogue law enforcement, and Obama and Holder will rein it in, but we're not waiting to find out," Hermes said. "We are right now preparing an alert to members to write to the administration expressing their frustration with the DEA's apparent failure to comply with Justice Department policy."

Vicente and dozens of other Sensible Colorado members and medical marijuana patients spent part of Thursday protesting the raids in front of the building where President Obama happened to be making an appearance. "There were probably 75 of us protesting and handing out literature aimed at alerting Obama to these rogue actions and calling on him to tell these agents to quit going after our patients and providers," he said. "We handed out flyers to everyone in the 1,000-person line waiting to get into the event, and we got considerable press coverage."

The Colorado medical marijuana movement is also gearing up against the looming threat, said Vicente. "We're working with a number of local and national groups to establish a firm emergency response plan like they did in California," he said. "We're somewhat fearful that Colorado may become a new DEA focus, and we want to be an organized presence."

As for grower Bartkowicz, who now faces federal drug dealing charges, his case should be dealt with in the state courts, not the federal courts, said Vicente. "We're not sure if he was or wasn't in compliance with state law, but we think the only place where that question could be fairly litigated is state court. The federal courts don't even recognize medical marijuana and are thus unequipped to determine if someone is in compliance with state law. We are asking them to drop the federal charges and let the state courts sort it out."

"I've seen no evidence of a violation of state law," said Hermes. "If there is no violation of state law, defense attorneys should be able to go to federal court and point to the memo and say the Justice Department should comply. The spirit of the policy is to stay out of enforcement when people are complying with state law. By that token, no federal charges should have been filed."

The war over medical marijuana is far from over. But now, it looks like the new battlefield could be Colorado.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: Gather
Copyright: 2010 Gather Inc.

Good luck Chris!! :roorrip:

What good did they do by arresting all of those people and clamping their jaws on one? They are evil whip snappers. I feel for that man and his fam. I bet he wasn't selling weed to the taliban! Those @SS_oles are controlling the world.. Obama did me wrong! He laughed at us when asked about the subject cause he was surrounded by snobs.

How did "they" get to make up laws and break them and declare war on us by what right? Do we fight back with weapons like they do or put money into representatives pockets?

I wish that this 4-20-10 we all stand out as citizens of community's and we are Registered Voters with not just concerns of getting legally high but about what this government is doing is wrong in the Moral and scientific way. Where is the next 420 rallie at I'll be there damn it!

The statement that the DEA agent was an 'enemy of marijuana' is totally misunderstanding the situation- the DEA loves marijuana. Marijuana and the prohibition thereof is what keeps these people in business- they love, love, love marijuana. If marijuana was legal, what would these adrenealine junkies do for a living- get a real job instead of a government job- good luck there. Their very existance depends on keeping marijuana illegal, and of course, their favorite tool, fear. It is long past time to stand up to these people.

Use what tools we have VOTE ! The only other option is to write letters !! To local papers and news shows. We have to show them that we are not bums !, we are for the most part hard working honest citizens. Many of us are also veterans !! Lets do it right ! write letters and VOTE. :peace:

What they need to do is elect a sheriff with the balls the throw these thugs out of his county.

Use what tools we have VOTE ! The only other option is to write letters !! To local papers and news shows. We have to show them that we are not bums !, we are for the most part hard working honest citizens. Many of us are also veterans !! Lets do it right ! write letters and VOTE. :peace:

Your right, I do write and am registered.. I just feel like it's not really doing much, I am trying to get my fam. and friends to do the same.. :smokin:

I think we all have to understand that the last thing the DEA wants to see is marijuana legalized. The main reason, I believe, is because of the amount of money the DEA will lose if it is legalized. Right now, the DEA can sell their CONFISCATED drugs on the black market and make a boat load of money, just like other dealers dealing to a desparate community. If they keep you scared, if they keep you desparate, they got you and they know it. Ever hear the saying, "the fox is watching the chicken coop?"

If the DEA were not on the take, I think they would encourage the U.S. to LEGALIZE marijuana, especially in light of what is going on in Mexico. It is amazing how many murders are commited over marijuana grown for U.S. consumption. Allowing U.S. citizens to grow for U.S. citizens is not only sensible, but also responsible government. But, again, the DEA does not want that. Chaos, fear, and illegal drugs are their profit centers.

While I feel for this Chris guy he has got to be the dumbest fuck that ever lived. Going on TV and bragging about pulling down $400K a year and then admitting that he has 12 patients (72 plants worth) and is growing over 200 should put him in the lead for the Darwin awards this year. He just effectively removed himself from the breeding population and is going to be getting it in the ass in more ways then one.

Take heed morons- keep your mouth shut, and your head down! Comply or risk getting fucked. I mean it- SHUT UP and keep your friends close. People that brag are going to fuck it up for everyone else. THIS MEANS YOU!

Good job Chris- way to make national headlines...

While I feel for this Chris guy he has got to be the dumbest fuck that ever lived. Going on TV and bragging about pulling down $400K a year and then admitting that he has 12 patients (72 plants worth) and is growing over 200 should put him in the lead for the Darwin awards this year. He just effectively removed himself from the breeding population and is going to be getting it in the ass in more ways then one.

Take heed morons- keep your mouth shut, and your head down! Comply or risk getting fucked. I mean it- SHUT UP and keep your friends close. People that brag are going to fuck it up for everyone else. THIS MEANS YOU!

Good job Chris- way to make national headlines...
I have to say that i take offense at being called a moron..You make fine points, However, You go about it in an insulting manner... - reps...:roorrip:

You do not qualify as a moron unless you go around bragging to the media about your income- I'm sorry, I thought that part was obvious. I just want other locals to LEARN from this and not rock the boat. It really, really pisses me off when people pull stunts like his without half a brain cell's worth of common sense. They are hurting the entire community because they feel entitled to be brash idiots, like they are untouchable. Now he's going to get his, and hopefully the court decision does not adversly affect our entire community.

I will be less offensive in the future, but this case has sent shockwaves through our little community. It always seems like someone gets ahead, and then starts opening their mouth. That follows for a tweener, or a gangster, or some other low level repeat offender from the ghetto, but not an adult with more then two brain cells. This is a high stakes game and people are risking their entire families to take care of patients needs. Just because it is legal in our state does not mean there aren't serious tensions between law enforcement and the average small grower.

I'd kick Chris right in the balls if I had a chance- but now the DEA is going to do it for me. He's risking more then just his own ass being ignorant.

We don't need to call each other names here ! Chris fucked up and now he's gonna pay, I feel sorry for him he made a stupid mistake but let's not start calling people morons! That doesn't do anyone any good. You can certainly mention his lack of thinking clearly !! But this is 420 it's a great site and we pride ourselves with our compassion for others... so please don't be a troll. :peace: stay high stay dry

200 plants when he was allowed 72? He must have failed Math in school. Not a smart move to go on TV when you are breaking the law. No street smarts reps for Chris.

We don't need to call each other names here ! Chris fucked up and now he's gonna pay, I feel sorry for him he made a stupid mistake but let's not start calling people morons! That doesn't do anyone any good. You can certainly mention his lack of thinking clearly !! But this is 420 it's a great site and we pride ourselves with our compassion for others... so please don't be a troll. :peace: stay high stay dry

the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines moron as a 'very stupid person'. if thats a valid definition then it seems appropriate to me. as you said yourself "Chris fucked up" which is the same as calling him a 'fuck up'.

in a previous article:
During the interview in his jail cell, Bartkowicz said he realized his arrest is the center of a national debate and defended his right to publicly declare his business.
"I'm the poster boy now," he said.

so it seems to me he got exactly what he wanted. be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

Funboy has said "I will be less offensive in the future". so rather than continuing to discuss semantics lets get back to the topic or i'm gonna need to start editing and i really don't like doing that.

ol' hippy though i quoted you i'm not singling you out but talking to eveyone in general :cool:

Thanx Hippy,,Excellent points. This is certainly no place for name calling.:bravo: :roorrip:

User, You can chew me out anytime I screw up ! Glad you guys are here keeping us all in line !! :sorry: :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom