Is This A Big Enough Area? If So How Many Plants Can I Fit?

atomicbox

Hey Everyone! Ive Been Reading This Site For A While Now And Ive Decided Im Going To Attempt To Grow. I Have A Few Questions About Where Im Going To Grow Them At.

Im Going To Grow Them In My Master Bedroom Closet. The Dimensions Of The Closet Are 36 Inches In Width And 80 Inches In Height. Is This Big Enough And How Many Plant Can I Put In There?

Next Thing I Was Curious About Is I Have A Air Conditioner In My Window That I Turn On A Night Time Will This Effect The Plants Any? The Door To My Closet Will Always Be Closed.

I Plan On Doing A 18/6 Light Schedule At First. Turn Them On A 4AM Turn Them Off At 10pm. Then When they Were Ready I Was Gonna Switch To 12/12 And Then 6/18. Does This Sound Right??

Thanks And Sorry For All The Questions. :Rasta:

The space will work great, make sure you put a lining in the bottom to catch any spills on the carpet, Nutes stain like hell. Your window A/C should have no effect, the room my grow is in has a window A/C too. The light should keep the tempratures high enough to negate the cool A/C air. Your lighting schedule is odd, in that are you going to be able to never miss the 4 a.m. start time? Not likely. I would invest in some good 24 hour times, they are cheap (about $20) depending on where you live. Look for this one:https://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=SSDT100
I use two of these and they work great and are reliable. And you dont need no stinkin clips to set the timer. That way you dont have to be there or awake to make sure your plants get theirs.

Oh as far as when you switch to your 12/12 cycle, watch the plant, and remember the plant can double or even quadruple in size while flowering depending on the situation, strain etc...Dont let them get too big before you start or you'll regret it. Also keep in mind that depending on the type and wattage and heat output of your light, you may need 18" or more clearance between the bottom of your light and the top of your plants, otherwise you may burn them up.

The space would do 2 plants I feel at most, otherwise you could run into them fighting for light and cuasing them to streach like my plants did.

Questions:
What kind of lights do you plan on using?
And what method of growing are you using?

Well since this is my first grow im going to use some bag seed that I got out of some KBs. I didnt wanna spend lots of money on something really good until I know better what im doing.

As for lights I think im going to start off with 3 100watt CFLs maybe 4 or im just going to get 1 400watt hps. Would this be ok? Keep In Mind I Dont Have to much money to spend

I will be planting in hopefully organic soil if my home depot has it. I was thinking about using maybe 100ml of nutrients and 400ml of water every few days. Would this be ok?

The walls will be painted flat white as well.

As far as the ligh cycle i will have them on a timer to come on at 4am because since they are in my room i dont wanna see lights when im sleeping.

If my plants start to get to high how can I stop them from growing and make them bud?

getting them to flower, all you need to do is switch the light to a 12 on 12 off cycle

Thanks for all the replies guys. Ill be starting a grow journal soon. I wanna do some more reading first.

Thanks Again I Really Appreciate it.

InYourEndo said:
i would say you could get 3-4 plants in there depending on pot size and shape. i would also say dont let them get to big (previously stated) thats a nice little area though... good luck with that.
I agree with the 3 to 4 plants. Also figure how tall you want them, say 4 feet total, then you will only want to veg them until they are 12-15 inches tall and then go to flowering. The plant will more than double in size during flowering and most times a little more than that.

General rule of thumb for any space - Take your total height available and divide by 4. Grow to your 1/4 and then go to flowering. You won't outgrow your space that way.

There are a few strains that will grow higher than that even with that rule so err on the side of caution so you don't lose out.

Alaska Lady :smokin:

Thanks For All The Info Guys. I Have Learned So Much Already. I Went To My Local Wallmart An Picked Up A Few Things Can You Tell Me If Everythings Ok?

Lights ( Should I Get 1 More?)
2 CFL 125W

Fixture For The Light

Timer

Pots ( All Plastic With Holes In The Bottom )

Organic Soil ( Is This Kind Good? )

Food/Nutrient ( Is This The Right Stuff I Dont Think It Is But I Picked It Up )

That all looks good. you're gonna hear a lot of pros and cons about miricle grow products. I wouldn't sweat it. When you get ready, read up on flushing your plants a few weeks before you harvest. If you can fit all four of those large pots in your closet, just germinate your seeds right in the larger ones. Transplanting is very stressfull, and not just for the plants LOL. Also, you're not gonna need nutes for a while. Depending on the quality of your soil, it could be anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months. Your plants will let you know when they need to be fertilized, and even then, try watering w/epsom salts before you try the nutes. This being your first grow, you're gonna learn a lot, and have a ball doing it! You're doing the right thing by gathering all the info. you can before you start. Good luck w/the grow, and keep us posted.
Vin

I'm not a fan of flowering under CFL because they just don't have the intensity to be very effective beyond 8" from the bulb.

I'm growing in a similarly small space. My first grow from seeds was done to establish some female mothers that will later provide clones. I have the females budding while clones of them are being trained and grown to be little mothers. I"m then going to clone about 9 clones at a time and put them all in my closet and grow them as single buds on a stick (no laterals, just one stick with a cola on top). I think it will work well now that I have an idea from the original plants how big around their buds will be. I'm also limited by vertical space, where your closet will give you a couple more feet to grow. I got this idea from Ed Rosenthal's closet cultivator book. He says if you grow this way, you can have 4 plants per sq. foot if you only have one main stem.
Ultimately, it breaks down to 4 bud leads per square foot. So if you have 12 sq feet (3' x 4'), you could do 1 plant/foot with 4 leads, 1 plant per 2 feet with 8 leads, etc...

Heh anyway, that's whut ed sed....

Thanks Again Guys. I went to wallmart again tonight and picked up one more CFL and a light fixture to go with it. That way ill have 3 CFLs 150W. Ill be starting a grow journal soon so hopefully ill have all your help there and we can all watch it grow into a beautiful plant.

The space is nice, I'm using rubbermaids around the same size. I started one plant just to see how it would work, then started two later. I tied down the larger one, and if you train the plants right you could get 3 or 4 good size plants. Top and tie down the plants to bring the lower budsights closer to the light. This will improve yield and keep the plants from getting too tall.

I'll try to get some pictures of my plant to show you how it looks.

Good luck, dude!

1. Lighting
Lumens diminish very quickly. That is why it is important to keep the lamp at least 18 inches from the top of the plants.
Although this is the best distance for maximum performance, I use 400 watt lamps MH & HPS should generally be kept 18 inches from the plants, 600 watt lamps should be 24 inches above the plants, 1000 watt lamps it is best to keep the light 24-30 inches above the plants. Even though these are the recommended distances from plant tops, make sure to check the temperature often because you will kill them if you get it too close. Too close usually means too hot and it WILL burn them. If it is too hot at the plant tops then increase the distance of the light from the top of the plants and add more air flow to the room or cabinet.
With excellent growing conditions,
YOU SHOULD GET 1/2 - 1 1/2 inches a day if not more...!
Your plants should be given 22 - 24 hours of light per day.
This allows the plant to grow continuously until it reaches the desired size.

Hope this helps you out.
:nomo:

We have alot of info, that is if you care to spend a little time reading. It is now 58 pages long and still growing. We made it very informative and illustrated steps as well. It may answer some questions you didn't know you had yet!

Check out our Grow Journal link in my signature.:smokin:

:nomo:

Thanks Again Guys. Alaska I will def. read your grow journal I read everyone elses and learned a lot so maybe by reading yours ill get even more knowledge.

Oh and im gonna start a grow journal myself today so look out for it.

Thanks Again!!

Your very welcome. We are open to help anyone who needs it. Everyone has something to contribute and most have something to offer for each unique scenario. If you have questions, all you got to do is ask.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Alaska Lady :nomo:

GreenThumbsUp said:
I'm not a fan of flowering under CFL because they just don't have the intensity to be very effective beyond 8" from the bulb.

I'm growing in a similarly small space. My first grow from seeds was done to establish some female mothers that will later provide clones. I have the females budding while clones of them are being trained and grown to be little mothers. I"m then going to clone about 9 clones at a time and put them all in my closet and grow them as single buds on a stick (no laterals, just one stick with a cola on top). I think it will work well now that I have an idea from the original plants how big around their buds will be. I'm also limited by vertical space, where your closet will give you a couple more feet to grow. I got this idea from Ed Rosenthal's closet cultivator book. He says if you grow this way, you can have 4 plants per sq. foot if you only have one main stem.
Ultimately, it breaks down to 4 bud leads per square foot. So if you have 12 sq feet (3' x 4'), you could do 1 plant/foot with 4 leads, 1 plant per 2 feet with 8 leads, etc...

Heh anyway, that's whut ed sed....

Peace,
I was thinking of starting the same process after cloning the six I have now..
At what point would you start pruning lateral growth?

If you read the grow journal, you'll see that MV and AL don't prune much. why chop off a bud site unless you're gonna clone?

I have to prune and control growth because I flower in a 3 x 4 x 5 foot effective growth space and veg in a 3 x 4 x 1.5 foot effective growth space cabinet. :)

In such a small place, I expect to get better yield with 14 single cola plants (the mothers I'm keeping have very dense fat colas just flowring with regular leads) than 3 plants with 5 or 6 leads themselves. IT's based on that SOG or SCROG methods.

I"m not certain, but I truly think it will work. LOL if not, I'll let y'all know.

I'll keep notes when I get all the clones in and start day 1. :) A couple more weeks! Me gals is almost womens!

Back
Top Bottom