It's that silica

Diyandimitrov

I give mad farmer silica 2 days ago 5 ml per galon. And I found that think on my plant how u can see from the picture its exactly where my plant was damaged. That think feels like silicon I touched and its really interesting.its a silicon for real or I'm tripping?

20211002_185800.jpg

20211002_185752.jpg

20211002_185739.jpg

20211002_185723.jpg

20211002_185720.jpg

20211002_185708.jpg

its a silicon for real or I'm tripping?
Good question, personally I'm not familiar with the product:

Description:​

Mad Farmer’s Silica provides plants with additional levels of silicon and potash. Silicon helps promote cell division, which strengthens plant tissue by fortifying the cell walls. This increases the rigidity of stems and stalks which allow the plants to bear more weight and support dense, heavy fruit. Additionally, silicon helps to increase tolerance to adverse environmental stresses such as insect and fungi damage, drought, and extreme temperatures. Silica is compatible with all nutrients and mediums and is proudly made in the U.S.A.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can jump in and give some input.
I'm curious to what that growth is shown in the pictures.
Spark up

agree with above - it does look like fungus / mold…… however the plants showing this feature have significant stalk damage and it doesn’t appear anywhere except where the stem is seriously compromised

either the plant is using the silica to mitigate previous damage or a nasty fungus / pathogen has setup shop….

will be curious to see how these plants fare between now and harvest time

@bobrown14 - are you on the interwebs today??

Certainly looks like a fungus that has taken hold in the damaged areas of the stems. Some, but not all, of these fungus growths are edible and becoming popular in specialty cooking.

I give mad farmer silica 2 days ago 5 ml per galon. And I found that think on my plant how u can see from the picture its exactly where my plant was damaged. That think feels like silicon I touched and its really interesting.its a silicon for real or I'm tripping?
Just co-incidence.

Mad Farmer’s Silica provides plants with additional levels of silicon and potash. Silicon helps promote cell division, which strengthens plant tissue by fortifying the cell walls. This increases the rigidity of stems and stalks which allow the plants to bear more weight and support dense, heavy fruit. Additionally, silicon helps to increase tolerance to adverse environmental stresses such as insect and fungi damage, drought, and extreme temperatures. Silica is compatible with all nutrients and mediums and is proudly made in the U.S.A.
Excellent. Basically what was said the last time. It is not to prevent the branches from breaking at the crotch (a highly technical word used by arborists, tree trimmers and gardeners) but to strengthen the stems and branches so they are less likely to break when they bend under a full load of flower buds covered in trichomes. Thank you for finding this.

Looks like pest that has/is invading many of the sites where it looks like there was previous damage done by pruning possibly?

Could be due to using dirty tools/hands or just the damage to the outer layer of cells on the stalk letting the pests (molds) to take hold. I've seen plants just wither and die from that (not trying to be a nagative nanner here). Just an observation from growing outdoors.

Personally I would get some peroxide (regular peroxide, not that 27% stuff you had) and a toothbrush and clean those sites up really well, let them dry and then coat them with something, paint, nail polish, tape, glue, anything that can seal up those wounds ... It might already be too late tho.

Personally I would get some peroxide (regular peroxide, not that 27% stuff you had) and a toothbrush and clean those sites up really well, let them dry and then coat them with something, paint, nail polish, tape, glue, anything that can seal up those wounds ... It might already be too late tho.
I used to have to do exactly that with our apple trees, then paint with Arborex

Yeah, I’ve seen something similar. But on mine there was no visible stem damage and it was kinda like advanced fusarium wilt, just ate up with mold spore shit and died.

but to play it safe I would treat those spores, nuke ‘em with h202 and isolate that shit away from the rest of the grow. Don’t put them up-wind of your greenhouse crew or near intake fan….get ‘em the hell out of there. They might be fine but if not you don’t want that shit to spread if it’s viral/fungal/mold whatevs….

point is avoid dislodging and spreading that shit on the way out the door

Tree seal or pruning seal is real good for sealing up wounds in plants, it comes in a can as a soft solid, or in spray cans. As far as what that is on the stems is it hard or soft?
I can answer that - it is soft like candy floss, damp and very slightly viscose

Some, but not all, of these fungus growths are edible and becoming popular in specialty cooking.
Be darn sure you know what it is before you eat it. Many fungus' are deadly poisonous. I've got a Minor in botany and have taken a couple mycology classes and there are darn few types of fungus I would be comfortable identifying and then eating.. An old saying: "There are old fungus hunters, and there are bold fungus hunters, there are no old, bold, fungus hunters!"
Without advanced training stick to store bought stuff! Just my .02

Be darn sure you know what it is before you eat it. Many fungus' are deadly poisonous. I've got a Minor in botany and have taken a couple mycology classes and there are darn few types of fungus I would be comfortable identifying and then eating.. An old saying: "There are old fungus hunters, and there are bold fungus hunters, there are no old, bold, fungus hunters!"
Without advanced training stick to store bought stuff! Just my .02
We have Liberty Caps here - survivable rather than advisable :cool:

Be darn sure you know what it is before you eat it. Many fungus' are deadly poisonous.
Didn't say I was planning on eating it. The stuff looks like 'corn smut' which is a fungus that gets on the kernels. I have seen mention of corn smut being used as an ingredient for taco and burrito filling in ethnic restaurants.

Me, I would treat it like mushrooms. If it ain't a Morel that I can get verified them I am only buying the commercial stuff with labels on the package.;)

We have Liberty Caps here - survivable rather than advisable :cool:
Remember those from my Humboldt daze. That is one of the few that I am confident about, although there was another that grew in the same places, but only took 3-4, as oppossed to 20, didn't want to confuse those, could make for an interesting day!!!!! Also learned the hard way, never pick and eat, you quickly lose count.

Yeah, I’ve seen something similar. But on mine there was no visible stem damage and it was kinda like advanced fusarium wilt, just ate up with mold spore shit and died.

but to play it safe I would treat those spores, nuke ‘em with h202 and isolate that shit away from the rest of the grow. Don’t put them up-wind of your greenhouse crew or near intake fan….get ‘em the hell out of there. They might be fine but if not you don’t want that shit to spread if it’s viral/fungal/mold whatevs….

point is avoid dislodging and spreading that shit on the way out the door
50% water 50 h202 3% solution from walmart right? Did wostcoast plant therapy 1 oz per galon wont help ?

Back
Top Bottom