I've started a grow in soilless, and want to change out to DWC.

SciFi

What's the chances of me being able to remove the 2 week old plants from the soilless, and putting them in hydroton net cups for a DWC? Will I kill them all? I expected there to be transplant shock..

People have done this successfully.

You need to gently rinse as much of the mix off the roots as you can first.

I would fill a bucket with warm water and dip the roots in it. Swish it around a little and very gently remove as much mix as you can, then place them in the cups and fill in with the hydroton.

I did basically the same thing when I first started growing. SS is right for sure. Just be gentle when you rinse off the roots and careful when you transfer to the netpot. I did a final rinse of the roots in water with a little superthrive and it did not shock at all. Not sure if the superthrive helped but it didn't hurt.

Yea.. I did that.. it didn't work out so well. I'm not sure if the res was bad plastic, or if I shocked them too much but they were pissed and folded in about 3 days. :(

We all have learned from experience. That's a bummer that happened. Hopefully you still have some more seeds and can give it another grow.

I left two plants in the containers as I wasn't sure if they'd take any shock due to a light falling earlier. They lived. :)

Hmmm yea - that sounds like a tricky operation with a 2 week old plant - I know my friend took some of my clones that were in soil-less and just uprooted them and rinsed out the soil-less and stuck em in hydroton, I'm pretty sure, and on GH veg w/ like 5ml Micro 10ml Bloom or something like that. I think they are working fine for him - but he has been messing up his reservoirs by mixing more micro than bloom *bonks forehead* I saw him do it and was like wait, you use twice as much bloom or grow than micro not twice as much micro - never twice as much micro - oh well live and learn.

I've switched over to the 1-2-3 Recipe. Seems easy enough. Veg PPM looks a tad high to start veg on thou no?

NN AN UN P K Ca Mg S Fe Mn Zn Cu B Mo Co
195 21 0 51 270 132 38 53 3.1 1.2 0.3 0.2 0.1 0.02 0.01
Total PPM 764

3tsp FloraGro
2tsp FloraMicro (Yes I mixed it first. :)
1tsp FloraBloom
in 1 gallon of distilled water

Let's see how easy the 1-2-3 is. :)

Umm.. Actually.. this is day 26 since I've had my first set of real leaves. So.. That's 3.7 weeks. o_0 Maybe there's hope for me yet.

I repotted the plant that looked better in a bigger pot.. It had a spiral of roots around the bottom of the pot like it was pissed off at the world. The other one with the tiny holes I left alone in the same pot.. probably will for a few days to be safe. I need to pickup some superthrive perhaps for transplanting.

Someone pointed out to me that res I used was made from recycled plastic, and said the 74 degree water could have leached some plasticizers of it out, or perhaps it locked out nutrients.. It is meant for oil after all. Heh.

1-2-3 recipe looks really good - same strategy as me with twice as much bloom or grow as micro. one part micro two parts bloom is a veg or bloom recipe really grow and bloom are pretty much the same thing with general hydroponics its just a third bottle to buy.

I doubt plastics from the res caused problems - so you decided not to transplant them?

I transplanted them, and all nine died in three days afterward, which coincided with moving, so I really wasn't in any position to help them. So I pulled them and packed everything up and moved. Of the original 12, there's 2 left in the soilless. I'm hoping for girls.

Back
Top Bottom