I've taken the plunge

colleenz

This is all new to me so feel free to advise. I'm a geriatric female who has had many surgeries. Needless to say I have chronic pain, & arthritis in my hands. I want to have a MMJ that is uplifting & helps with pain. I do not want to be heigh as a kite, nor do I want to be sleepy, so I've been researching this site for weeks sucking up all the wonderful knowledge. At first I had no idea what I was doing when ordering seeds & ordered 4 different strains based on their height + one freebie & they are all autos: I don't have much room & as I'm alone have to do everything the easiest way. Anyway, since doing more research I finally ordered Tangerine Dream & Dance Cloud 3, & Channel +, all females, which I intend to SCROG. Don't laugh, I'm doing the best I can. The autos are Royal Dwarf, Candy Kush, Northern light, Russian Rocket, Afghan Kush Ryder: I told you I didn't know what I was doing! So, on the 16th, I started the germination process by putting squares of wet sponge into small jars, floating them on a little water, & put one of each seed ontop & covered them with a cardboard box. This morning the 18th, one of the seeds has a white tip & the others are all swollen. I have 4 inch pots all ready with the growing medium. My grow area is rather difficult to describe in that it doesn't sound feasable. I saw the video on YouTube & thought "I can do that". Here is the URL DIY indoor grow box for $30 part 2 of 2 - YouTube
It is part 2, but self explaninitory for part 1. I couldn't find white bookcases anywhere so bought 2 black ones & painted the insides white & am also in the process of doing the Mylar thingie. A friend put the bookcases together for me. I have a 2 ft florescent bar at the top supplemented with a clamp on fixture for each side with the 2 light extension & 26 w CFL bulbs. I actually have another bar under a kitchen cupboard for starts & clones. The potting soil is some I had left over from another project: it is organic & has the perlite already mixed in. I ordered white 3 gallon grow bags & have Fox Farm potting soil for transplanting into. Got a silver windshield sun cover at the thrift shop to cover the fronts. I didn't realize this was going to be such a long post but if anyone is going to advise me they need to know my setup. I have learned so much from this site & very much appreciate the tips & knowledge that others have generously shared
PS. I ordered the Jorge Cervantes book, have my medical card, AND the Mylar just arrived. Colleenz

Colleenz,

Welcome. As for the above referenced setup, Just remember it takes about 3-4 months minimum to get even the slightest decent yield and the plants will be anywhere from 24" to 48" tall...even taller, a lot taller if you want any real yield. There's lots of ways of doing a grow but just bear in mind that it takes patience, care, more patience, keeping it all on the QT, and even more patience. I've also run into lots of folks who think that a light close by will get it done. Growing indoors means a hefty investment in lighting. Just read some of the journals here and you'll do fine. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the welcome and advice. I already figured out that I have to go slowly & do it right the first time. It is too expensive to have it all go wrong, & yes the lighting is expensive. The one seed that I really wanted to germinate (at $15 per seed) doesn't seem to be doing anything; the Dance Cloud 3, I'm hoping it is one of the seeds that can take up to 3 weeks. I've really been checking out the SCROG info. Again, many thanks! C

Scrog is a cool method especially if you're limited on space. I had some luck with it years ago and may try it again with this grow. Haven't decided yet. I planted seven seeds eleven days ago. All of them germinated and I have nice seedlings coming along slowly. The operative word here being slowly. Like yourself, I'm needing stay within my budget. It's easy to get carried away and spend $$$ on equipment when you could have just spent $$$ on buds someone else already grew.

I'm sitting here with a cup of coffee and getting ready to cover the shelves with the mylar. I have it all ready to go; just have to get with it. My hands are numb so I have to plan ahead. I dropped a new large can of coffee on the floor yesterday, then a bag of rice. What a mess!
This am, I ordered a couple of 24 hr timers from Amazon; the ones I have are only 2 prong, ancient like me. I've also been looking at solar generators. Here in W WA the power can go out for days. Amazon: OG 55 Solar Power Generator - GUARANTEED TO BE THE MOST POWERFUL UNIT FOR THE PRICE - OR WE WILL PAY YOU THE DIFFERENCE* then a 400 watt inverter. I'm thinking the Cobra.

1667093935533.png

I have 6 seeds sprouted now, in different stages. The bookcases are finished but they are twice as big as they look in the picture. 32x30x12. I'm having a problem with them being on the floor; it is very hard for me to work with. I've been trying to figure out how I can raise them up about 12-18 inches. I thought of plastic crates, 3 under each one, but don't know where to get them. Any ideas much appreciated!

The generator arrived and it has a built-in inverter with 2 plug-ins & cigarette lighter plug-ins, so I didn't have to buy any extras, thank goodness!

I have 6 seeds sprouted now, in different stages. The bookcases are finished but they are twice as big as they look in the picture. 32x30x12.

Sounds like you are making good progress - congrats.

I'm having a problem with them being on the floor; it is very hard for me to work with. I've been trying to figure out how I can raise them up about 12-18 inches. I thought of plastic crates, 3 under each one, but don't know where to get them. Any ideas much appreciated!

You need a heavy duty milk crate. I use them to keep electrical off the floor. Don't know how much they will hold - but I have a 33 gallon water storage tank on top of one... and it is solid.

The only place I know of to find them is at farm supply stores... here is an example: Black square milk crate

Here is my setup so far. Started germinating seeds Sep. 16th

Seeds are swelling Sep 18th

Root tips showing on Afghan Kush Ryder & Channel 3 Sep 19th

Potted those 2 and I put the pots on a cake rack over a heating pad on low & covered with a box. 20th Sep

Sprouts broke through & they are now 2 inches from overhead florescent 21st sep
I worked on covering the insides of the bookcases with mylar; not an easy job. Have one ready to install the lights

The two seedlings are looking good. They have their first baby leaves and are under the lights 22nd Sep
The other seeds are still swollen & look good. The Dance World looks as though she might germinate. I hope so.

Sprouted & potted Dance World & Tangerine Dream 29th Sep.

Sprouted & potted Candy Kush 7th October .

Transplanted Afghan Kush Ryder 10th Oct.

Snipped leaves of Afghan Kush Ryder Tied fishing weights on to hold down in a couple of places. Dried clippings in micro. & put into baby jar. 20th Oct.

Started to train the Dance World on a cone shaped wire plant stake. Hoping to train it in the round for space requirements. 25th Oct.

I hated the 3 gal grow bags & wound up with 2 1/2 gal buckets from ace hardware. The auto's are in potting soil & the females are in Hempy Buckets; love those & will use from now on!

Put a piece of lattice fence on top of Afghan Kush Ryder 30th Oct.

There are photo's. Please have patience with me; it took forever to figure out the photo thing & was amazed to find that when I clickd on "My Photos," there they were. Key words "Rube Goldberg."

Back
Top Bottom