K.I.S.S. myLightTrap

SmokzAlot

Simple and effective light trap for a multitude of situations.

Common design, nothing new here but hope the graphics help someone out. This is how I did it anyway. Mine were constructed of cardboard and aluminum tape for myGrowBox applications. Be sure you don't vent your exhaust towards the intake. Make the size ample enough to cause the least restriction possible to fit the given application. Many ideas exist, it all works on the fact that light doesn't go around corners like air can. Make it with a non reflective material and you are good to go. Scale per application.

I have contemplated incorporating either ONA or something into the port exhaust to help with odor control in a KISS manner. I have tried a footie from a leg of women's hose lightly stuffed with dryer sheets was quite effective for a short term quick fix. Simply fill it and stuff it in the exhaust opening. Change out as needed. Don't pack it with it much , it doesn't take much and you will only succeed in blocking your airflow if you go overboard.

Here we are looking at the cabinet side of the trap. In my application I have a fan in this port for exhaust from the cabinet.
lighttrap1.png

Lets now pop off the cover and see what's going on with the internal baffles.
lighttrap2.png

No more than three baffles are needed in my applications. I let them cross just over half the distance of the box so they overlap and you can not visually see through it in a straight line. Spacing between baffles will depend on the other dimensions used. You can get close by trying to keep a given amount of square inches of free space at every bend or turn as to not restrict the flow. It's not that critical for cabinet applications. Listen to your fan and you can tell if it is flowing freely or with a load.

+DiY REPs!

BtW, dryer sheets and ONA only cover the odor. Fools people outside (people inside, of course, are wondering why your closet is producing far more Bounce smell than the basement where your dryer is, lol). They won't fool a K9 unit like a carbon filter or a timed ventilation-into-room-with-HD-ozone-machine setup will.

Back
Top Bottom