Lack of growth?

That'll be fine for now. I don't grow with cfls but I hear they can be up to an inch away. And they definitely should be as close as posssible because they're barely bright enough to grow with. Play with the distance and pull back just a hair when you see signs of singeing.

From someone coming from similar experience I have to say I agree but the "for now" isn't going to last long. Before you know it the dozen or so bulbs you have will double and you will be chasing the light. Definitely looking deficient and since you are in soil, lack of light is the likely culprit. You might be better with just one plant maybe considering the space and light limits. If you have any budget maybe think about looking for something more efficient that will push the light you need for how big these girls will get. Trust me, they will get big if you provide more light- or just go into flower! This is going to be an interesting ride!
There is talk and I have done it as an additional light source but maybe see if there is any value in using the led bulbs. I have some that are 1500lumen each at 14 watts. Now I suggest you cut or somehow get the plastic dome off as it filters the light.
Good luck!

Sent from mikeytv

They are spots though. They work best when you cut off the dome and have them pointing straight down. Those tri-light bases might not work.
Just buy regular bases for $1.50 at HD.
52fa038541b93f7926e1feb937ac74c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I like them so much I built a 14 bulb array that will do 15 seedlings/nurselings before I re-pot and send them to the tent.
dc03627ff75e13c2629f36fe4e1790d4.jpg

Plus it's insanely bright.
c39ad8f83b6d22c260283cdc427ca648.jpg

That's 95,000 Lux!
Brighter than a 150w HPS.

I'm gunna probably head to the store in the next couple of days and pick some up -.- haha. Do the same rules that apply to cfls apply with led lights? Cuz I've been doing a little bit of research and it's kinda conflicting info. Would I need the same amount of if 8w lights yes? But if I went to the 14w ones and replaced all my bulbs I'd essentially be doubling the light my plants get and cutting my power consumption in half?

Thanks for all the advice man it's really appreciated :)

I like them so much I built a 14 bulb array that will do 15 seedlings/nurselings before I re-pot and send them to the tent.
dc03627ff75e13c2629f36fe4e1790d4.jpg

Plus it's insanely bright.
c39ad8f83b6d22c260283cdc427ca648.jpg

That's 95,000 Lux!
Brighter than a 150w HPS.

Hey JJ! You don't have a diy on that build right there do you? I likes! Also, did we figure out the spectrum of light these are putting out?
Thanks!

Sent from mikeytv

No. The rules are out the window. Aim for even coverage at about 4-8 inches from the canopy depending on strain or bulb brightness. Ie. the 9w led needs to be closer than the 12w LED to get the same results.

I'm afraid to even think about the wiring situation :p I can't modify the house at all unfortunately, so I'm limited to good old regular sockets :/ is building something like that possible to make it comparable with wall sockets?

And does that have U covered for all of the plants growth? And how many sqrfeet are u lighting with that cuz my box is 9sqrfeet so wouldn't that many lights be overkill?

Hey JJ! You don't have a diy on that build right there do you? I likes! Also, did we figure out the spectrum of light these are putting out?
Thanks!

Sent from mikeytv

The DIY build is in my posts. Just click my name.
I can't find any spectral data of Philips Led bulbs. Sry.

Sharky- I think I burnt the left one pretty bad with by over aggressive fertilizing I've been doing my best to keep the lights nice and close, the right one is doing way better than the left one not totally sure why, I assume they're different strains.
Jimmyjames- I would but the only problem I have is where to buy them and the cost of them :( I'm on a university budget so unfortunately it becomes a toss up between food and lights :p

You can get them at the dollar shop.

Since we are sharing- ultra low tech diy- what I like about this is I can move and adjust my bulbs accordingly- also, its helpful to use through out the early part of sprout through early veg.
76569f48694b5f271c08fa8f3eafa7e1.jpg
5eba4b181b073005ed5ccbcd3b279d1e.jpg

I had this stuff around and needed for my dwc experiment but am finding it useful- that said, I like how clean the led set up shown here is.

Incidentally- this is my dwc recovering from a ton of stress going in and out and back into water over several weeks. They week barely surviving not even a week or two ago.

They are doing well under these lights. There is side light though from my mh but it's very little as the mh is lower than this set up.
c2f28c7fed7a41b9c00032f3f3b1ba46.jpg

I'm happy with how well they worked with these little girls- that said- not sure how long they can stay under these lights until they will crave even more. I figure since they are so small still I was going to let them stay in flower for a couple more weeks while my others go into flower- starting tomorrow(i think.)
My point (yes I'm getting to one) is these set ups are great for early on but to really get some flower with the power....ya need ya light!
Love this stuff!

Sent from mikeytv

I think I'm getting a bright idea :p if I see no new growth in the next few days I'm gunna have to make a led set up like yours jimmy, but i will certainly be making one for my next grow! Glad to know that I can use some cfls as well mikey :) . Is it worth going into veg if there's no new growth? Like cut my losses and try again? It's my first time so I knew I was gunna make some errors :) super glad you guys are around to help limit the major mistakes :). I kinda pooched it tho I trimmed some of the fan leaves off the little one which I'm now realizing was a huge mistake so hopefully I haven't mucked it too bad :p .

I think I'm getting a bright idea :p if I see no new growth in the next few days I'm gunna have to make a led set up like yours jimmy, but i will certainly be making one for my next grow! Glad to know that I can use some cfls as well mikey :) . Is it worth going into veg if there's no new growth? Like cut my losses and try again? It's my first time so I knew I was gunna make some errors :) super glad you guys are around to help limit the major mistakes :). I kinda pooched it tho I trimmed some of the fan leaves off the little one which I'm now realizing was a huge mistake so hopefully I haven't mucked it too bad :p .

What I'm learning is I have so much to learn. Look at growing as a journey and not the destination. Each grow you will want to try something new or perfect something you have been working on. I wouldn't give up personally- even if they start looking rough. Say they stay small until you can get more light- who cares! You will learn something from letting them go and see what they can do- and if they go hermie or one or both are fellas- no biggie as you were thinking of dumping them anyway.
My current dwc were basically sticks with a coupe leaves here and there- and they were clones i cut while they were in veg then I had them in dwc before I ever got my ph test kit or nutes- super dumb! Them back in soil over the holiday then back in dwc! They looked horrible. Them middle girl is still looking terrible and only has 2 roots coming from the net pot--- after over a month to month and half! But the other girls have recovered nicely and may make great flowers... so it's worth it. Never know! My first was just two girls and what ended up being a crap load of cfl/led/flourescent lights and those girls got me more than I expected for a first grow.
They are resilient little plants.

Sent from mikeytv

Would you recommend trying to clone the good one? I have no experience cloning pot plants I've only ever cloned a tomato plant with moderate success. I have 6 more seeds of random strain tho so if I don't clone I don't have to buy seeds

Would you recommend trying to clone the good one? I have no experience cloning pot plants I've only ever cloned a tomato plant with moderate success. I have 6 more seeds of random strain tho so if I don't clone I don't have to buy seeds.

You're good. Just keep at it. Manicuring slows growth. Leaves not only collect sunlight, they also store energy.
Please take 12 minutes out of your life and watch this short video. It's the very basics.
Every grower should know at least the first 6 minutes of this video.
Photosynthesis: Crash Course Biology #8 - YouTube

I love crash course chemistry :) only reason I passed chem 11,12 haha great videos.

I think I just need to chill and be patient and not freak out if there's not a ton of growth every five seconds :p

Ha hey! If anyone is still following this, with the addition of lights I'm already seeing new node growth!
d2aec457101eb58091862c5f54901039.jpg

Ha hey! If anyone is still following this, with the addition of lights I'm already seeing new node growth!
d2aec457101eb58091862c5f54901039.jpg

Awesome... it's amazing what a little patience and knowledge will get you. Your girls will be right as rain in no time.

Sent from mikeytv

Back
Top Bottom