Learning from my mistakes. Little R&D before my second attempt

mgjscdhl

Since I had to let the white russian go I'm doing some homework and window shopping for best way to start. I have problems getting some items, and confused on others. I was hoping for some advice or clarification(s). Currently doing some trim work on my box, and setting up something for seedlings.

I have a few seeds; (baba/king) kush, s. lemon haze, white rhino and ak48. I may also be able to get another white russian clone -- but I'll wait to see. I'm just looking for a newbie tolorent strain with small growth.

I'm hoping that with proper soil, water the grow will have much better chance of success. A month or so back I couldn't pass up a propogation tray. I was thinking direct wire florescent light with that should help germinate properly. I'm guessing humidity and heat are more important while they are sprouting.

My first two major problems are water and soil.

Water: I doubt i'll use well water until its properly tested. My other two options would be "distilled" or "spring water".. There are no other sources I found for r/o without buying a system now $$$$$$$$$. Distilled water basically (says on label) its 0ppm, disolved salts.. But it may not be ideal for organics since it lowers the ph down to 4.0-4.5ph when I just add some fertilizer. It also means things like calcium/mag need to be added... And if I'm not careful I could have same problems. "Natural spring water" says it has 350ppm disolved salts, and has seems to have a low content for things. ca:74, mg:22, na:11, k:2. It seems a better option (ozonated)

Soil: First I haven't been able to find foxfarms, sunrise, black..., and some other offerings from fertilizer companies. I have seen some good reviews here and other sites about promix. But... There are 5 types available locally. I'm confused on which kind, if any, I need. (premier, potting, hanging, perenial, outdoor, container). Some say certified organic, some display having lime, perlite already.. I'm not worried about a totally organic garden.. I simply wonder if it has compost or something if thats a better start than my own mix. I already have peat, dolomite lime and perlite and I can get bonemeal. Should I just mix it up myself or is it better to start with a mix.

Are there also good review sites for books growing marijuana? I'd like something easy to pick up, and will basically tell you throughout the grow where you are at.. But perhaps extra info like diseases, things to avoid. I've watched a few movies and read a few books (more or less) and some of its almost contradictory.. If anybody has some suggestions. I had found some books online but I might breakdown and spend some money on a book if it'll help the end results

great place to start is
How to Grow Cannabis - Everything You Need to Know!

my city water sucks,, so I use spring water from the store. I have heard that distilled water, since it has nothing, is more prone to PH swings, and is more finik to work with. (I do not know from experience,, just what I have read)

there is a DIY RO thread if you are interested
DIY Reverse Osmosis - For Small Scale Grower - Cheap, Portable, & Effective.

cannot help you on the soil, I am using the bioterra from canna.. as for the soils you mentioned, I would go with the premeir or potting, and stay away from the outdoor...

:goodluck:

its definitely finiky to work with. distilled water + nutes = 4.0ph instantly, all other water ends up neutral.

Someone elsewhere mentioned mr. clean autodry. Its neat to see someone use it and I lol a bit also. thanks for that link

I'll look into premier ones. there are two organic (omri) certified. One is potting so maybee that'll do.

I appreciate the guide. I like to get and read as much as possible. Books are more streamlined way I find than a forum. But not saying they're better than forum, just efficient information.

I spoke to someone at GE and picked up the BioThrive lineup (grow, camg+, weed, bud) at the local shop. I'm picking up bloom and root before weekend. I don't think they'll be the same kind of issues as last time.... As long as the ph doesn't spike. I also have peat, perlite, dolomite. So I think the basics are covered. I can pick up a mix if I wanted.. but doesn't seem necessary at this point.

I was reading the CaMg+ label and just wondering.. How much Calcium/Magnesium is too much?
Since the soil would contain some from the dolomite can it kill the plant and/or lockout other nutrients? Should I decrease the dolomite lime if I'm already adding calcium/magnesium from and additive?

Once I get some seeds that were sent to me I'm going to start a new journal. I'm keeping it simple as possible and hope instead of confusing people it can help those who can take something from this and be easy for anybody looking at it to point out my mistakes or provide feedback.

IDK how much cal-mag is too much, I have never used those type of additives, I just use the cana lineup, and it seems to take care of all I need... there will be lots of people to drop by and help you with that though,,

can't wait to see the new grow.. :) :goodluck:

no prob. I'm probably overthinking the problem, as I tend to do that. But I also thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm sure someone will stop by

thanks

I would keep the dolo lime as is and decrease the cal/mag, or just use it in case of deficiency.

The lime is better overall than an additive.

DD

cool. Well I can simply start of low on the caMg+ and see how they react. I think dolomite should be used because it would be so much harder to add than caMg+

Waiting for another shipment or two but if all goes well I should be starting soon. Box is back together, and just have some improvements to make. A realistic date is start of month

Back
Top Bottom