Getting set to cook first supersoil need help with which lime

Dragonian

My debates re using gypsum or simple calcium carbonate as lime source to my attempt to build supersoil.
So if I will be adding epsom salt to a mix of McEnroe potting soil mix which is a peat based ammended mixed bag.
The list of ingredients on the mix is:
Peat moss,perlite,rock phosphate,calcinated clay,gypsum, and blood meal.
This mix says it's pH ranges from 6.2 to 6.8.
To this mix I will add coco coir, worm castings, organic compost made from cow and horse manure and organic veges), azonite, epsom salt, Thorvin Kelp, a biodynamic product called Pfeiffer BD field spray and an innoculant called Vermaplex.
I am looking for the right rock flour, oyster flour and fishbone meal but can't find them yet..

I have everything except the right lime selected.

If my water source is alkaline already here in SW Virginia with all the limestone under the ground naturally

I am a bit over whelmed with the choice of lime.

I have epsoma Soil acidifier handy as I think that sulfur might be ok for general combating the alkaline water.

So I am guessing the lime is to supply calcium (doh)..
So I need to add some lime that won't bring the H up too much.

I also have some fast acting Pennington brand (made by Advanced soil technology ) lime that is stated for lawns..
prilled 95.5 % calcium carbonate CaCO3 that is 94.6 %CCE.
Prior to prilling only 50% passed through a #200 MESH.
OK SO MY QUESTION IS:
This fast "acting" is that it will change the pH
quickly and that's not good unless I develope a skill of knowing how to adjust the water before I add it.
Ok so if I can manage that part(adjust the pH of the water) then what lime agent should I use?
Gypsum ?
The calcium carbonate which supposedly a good source of calcium or is the dolomite simply magical in its ability to keep things right by maintaiing a good ratio with magnesium?
Some magnesium will come from the epsom salt. Won't that be enough? I want to get it right but can't find dolomitic lime yet.
If I use the calcium carbonate to start the mix cooking then I can wait and see what the pH does.
Main thing is to get the calcium I there so it can start breaking down and will be there waiting for the soil microbes to eat it so the plant can get it.
I'd like to get away with using city water which was above 8pH last time I checked. As I haven't got my distiller handy yet. Can buy ro water for a while to get things rolling on cooking. So where was I ....oh kay

If I find the pH drifts to far up I as I think it will with the local water being alkaline then I would either pH'ed down with vinegar and hope for the best.

I have not seen what exact reading that the city water pH is yet,and wonder how much that should influence my choice of lime.

Wanting to get the supersoil mix going and figure I need help asap re the choice of lime to add.

Since I will be using the black castings and the biodynamics
Innoculants rolling with a harmony organic composted chicken manure that I can wait a bit to see what the pH will do before I add the lime.

I have to have lime for calcium but figure I should figure out my options after finding the water's ppms of calcium first eh?

I don't want to kill everything with the wrong mix of limeing agent.
Is gypsum altogether off base to go ahead and add consider adding if it supplies the good sulfur and calcium with no change in pH?
This is confusing.
The dolomite will provide magnesium and calcium. Is that why I want it as the ratio has some magical ability and will keep pH balanced without me messing it up?
Anybody want to help me please?
I got the noobie blues since I moved to the city where the water is a major uncertainty of yet another HUGe factor.
Getting the water distiller seems the best thing to do for me right now to lower the variables.
If I find that oyster flour I suppose that it will do something to shift my lime need right?
Also adding Fishbone meal will shift pH so when I do find it and the oyster flour and right rock flour later will show me wehn I get there.
Don't have anything in the mix as I can't figure what to do next.

I just wish I had a knowledgable friend out there.
Lonely on the new year but devoted to the process of I having to find the right lime agent.
Thanks.
What I really need to do is get a massage!

Dolomite lime if I'm not mistaken is what you want. I would also leave the distiller alone and get yourself a decent chlorine/sediment filter, and use that rather than straight zero value water. That alone is going to cause all sorts of unneeded ph/suspected deficiency issues. The idea behind super soil is to "just add water" without all the headaches. It sounds like your on the way to a newb catastrophe if you keep over thinking/stressing about it.

Google search subcools old school organics and you'll find the forum where subcool answers questions on occasion. It's just not polite to post links to another forum.

Re: getting set to cook first supersoil need help with which lime

Pick up a bag of Espoma Garden Lime. It is actually dolomite lime and a great source of cal/mag and a few other minerals. Can't go wrong with it. Do not worry about PH with organics, if you start with a good organic base and don't add anything artificial the little organisms in the soil will level it all out. Chasing PH in organics = complete disaster.

budbro said:
Pick up a bag of Espoma Garden Lime. It is actually dolomite lime and a great source of cal/mag and a few other minerals. Can't go wrong with it. Do not worry about PH with organics, if you start with a good organic base and don't add anything artificial the little organisms in the soil will level it all out. Chasing PH in organics = complete disaster.

I couldn't remember the brand I use but that's it, espoma.

Re: getting set to cook first supersoil need help with which lime

I hope to chime in with all knowing I am new, but I know tons already. I first want to say sorry if in anyway I interupt a thread, or look like an ass because these threads, and the computer are to me like my first grow I just dont know how, so I will add my little 2cents. I wanted to respond to the ph and organics, I am organic til I die, but I think there is a little misunderstanding about this ph thing, and not needing to take readings. I can only say ph is extreamly important well, to all living things, even our bodys. See if our bodies are to acidic, cancer thrives, just think of it like the borg(spidermites) they just need the right conditions, and bam your ready to burn your mother&@!& house down trying to get rid of those dam varmits. So first thing first, for all nobs like myself if your going all 100 percent organic you must allow your soil to "cook', establish life in a micro form. Once life is pressent you will get a reaction to ph adjusting to their presents. like adding fish to a tank, if you add you many in a new water, the amonia will rise faster than they can ajust. Just like in water, soil has bad, and good life. you want to get this in perfect balance before expecting perfect peace of mind of not ph-ing. This is why reused soil is better, it has life already established, like a major city. So nobs like myself the easiest way to establish soil before planting is minerals which is food for your population, and a goog act tea to drench soil to add life. yes you dont have to ph organics, only once our nobby minds learn its just as hard to learn organics than synthectic, but once you do, you will be back home, as organics is not new, its actually truth, as it is way before man, and we are made of it, so learning all there is about organics is a must, and only then will you understand when a bud pro says ph not needed. I think a ph pen is always good to have, like a must have to your tools for gardening, even living, as if you have cancer just make some alkaline water using baking soda, and funny thing how all the good things we use in growing works for us too, but Molassas mixed into your alkaline water acts as a trojan house-a lure for cancer, yes crazy, but what you learn when you study organics. I am now learning the high brix growing method, and I got most it down, its just a constant learning you never know where it will take you just look at phoenix tears it works all natural.

Back
Top Bottom