Leaves Eaten By Insects

PotPie

420 Plant of the Month: 2nd Place Winner
I seem to have some insects eating the leaves of my plants. I found 2 plants damaged this morning while watering. 2 days ago I found 2 green stink bugs in my room. I couldn't find any in the closet and I couldn't find any damage at that time. I haven't seen any more bugs so I might have missed the damage the other day when I was misting. I had a few gnats last week but a misting with neem oil and subsequent rinse seem to have taken care of the problem. Could two bugs have done this damage or are they maybe hiding during the day and feeding at night?
I have included the particulars of the grow and a couple of pictures below. If anybody has had this problem or knows how to deal with it please let me know.

This is an indoor soil grow in a closet
Strain - bag seed
# of Plants - 12
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 1 Gallon
Lights - CFL, Approx 15,200 Lumens, Mixture of 5500K & 2700K
Nutrients - Worm Casings
Medium - FFOF, Vermiculite, Perlite
Room Temperature - 67-74
Room Square Footage - 10' x 10'
Pests - Green Stink Bugs? Gnats last week

Problem:Leaf Damage
00290.JPG

00172.JPG

Here's a picture I found on the web of the bugs I killed.
00389.JPG

Thanks!

Damn man that looks like a lion took a bit out of you leaf. Do you have a dog or cat that may be sneaking in there? My dog loves pot leaves.

Well I can't find anything that says a Stink Bug is a leaf cutting bug. They are more of a sap sucker type.

The good thing is anything inflicting that type of damage should be visible.

Keep an eye on your plants real close and mark any leaf that already has damage by tying a little string around the petiole or something and see if more leafs show up damaged. Keep your pets out the grow area if you have them.

If leafs keep showing up damaged and you cannot see the culprit then consider a pyrethrum bomb and or a few thorough spray downs with insect soap over a few weeks.

To me it seems like maybe the kitty was laying under the leaves and you know how playfull they are when it comes to hanging objects and such maybe it was just playing and messing around with the leaf

lol like a year ago my iguana ate my whole plant, but it was only like a month old anyways -__-

But yeah that looks like something a cat would do, my cat does that to other house plants around the house and it look pretty similar to your leaves damage.

Hey McBudz, You hit the nail right on the head. I left the closet open this weekend while I was out in the garage working on my cabinet and another plant got a little chewed up. I thought I heard the dogs tag's jingling in there but I didn't catch her. This morning I had the closet open again and as soon as I turned my back she stuck her head in there and went for a bite. Apparently she likes the stuff quite a bit. I know to keep a better eye on her now. :Rasta:

thanks again for your help.

Hey McBudz, You hit the nail right on the head. I left the closet open this weekend while I was out in the garage working on my cabinet and another plant got a little chewed up. I thought I heard the dogs tag's jingling in there but I didn't catch her. This morning I had the closet open again and as soon as I turned my back she stuck her head in there and went for a bite. Apparently she likes the stuff quite a bit. I know to keep a better eye on her now. :Rasta:

thanks again for your help.

Teach your dog to sit at your feet when you are trimming your harvest, those leaf clippings (aka sugar or sweet leafs) are much tastier and give a much better high. Your dog needs to be patient like the rest of us and wait until full maturity to get the best medicated effect. I had a long sit down with my dog and explained trichome ripeness and she completely understands and is grateful that she now does not waste her time eating immature leaves. Now only eats the sweet leaf clippings and gets friggin wrecked.

Teach your dog to sit at your feet when you are trimming your harvest, those leaf clippings (aka sugar or sweet leafs) are much tastier and give a much better high. Your dog needs to be patient like the rest of us and wait until full maturity to get the best medicated effect. I had a long sit down with my dog and explained trichome ripeness and she completely understands and is grateful that she now does not waste her time eating immature leaves. Now only eats the sweet leaf clippings and gets friggin wrecked.
Leave it to McBudz to train his dog in when to harvest.lol Too bad you didn't teach her how to manicure too.lol

Leave it to McBudz to train his dog in when to harvest.lol Too bad you didn't teach her how to manicure too.lol

Working on it ;) I do need help come harvest time. Only so much snip snipping one can take. She's the only one I trust in my grow room :)

I too have encountered the same problem but i dont have dogs or cats which can reach the place where i grow. cud it be squirrels or birds. How do i keep them away guys :(
I've attached a pic below

18744_08102009056_123_402lo.jpg

Insects sometimes cause massive damage to landscape plants, but these instances are usually rare occurrences. It's only when the insect populations reach a certain critical mass that the damage becomes troublesome.

Keeping your grass healthy is by far the best way to prevent damage from lawn pests. Healthy lawns require few, if any, insecticide treatments. If a lawn is under stress and a pesticide is applied, it stands a better chance of suffering damage from the pesticide itself.

Back
Top Bottom