Leaving your plant in dark

related to the original topic of dark period before harvest, i recently read research that drought stress during the last two weeks will increase the thc levels and some terpenes. He left the plant for 11 days without water, then watered lightly.

“Drought increased the concentration of major cannabinoids tetrahydrocannabinol acid (THCA) and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) by 12% and 13%, respectively, compared to the control. “

i have used this technique, and am currently ripening a grow with it. Thought it might add interest.
Here‘s the reference, its a phd thesis, it is great research with other pertinent topics included. The drought study description is chapter 5.

Ha ha! Yeah let your plant die the last two weeks while they supposed to be packing on wait. You can’t be a crap grower and expect 2-3-4 days to two weeks of a dark period to make your plant better. The only thing that’s happened is you didn’t burn off fragile terps with your bright ass hot grow lights. How’s that back to the topic. Have a good one. Hopefully you plant isn’t brown and crispy when you turn your lights back on. Sorry I interjected I will kick rocks.

... I do this regularly all through bloom, not just at week seven as Dr. Caplan postulates....
Caplan also measured the results of drought treatment during veg, and found changes in terp profile but no significant increase in overall production, its in the thesis too.

Note that he is growing in coco/perlite, and its not the usual procedure to allow significant dry back in that medium. The more common technique with coco is to treat it as a hydroponic substrate and keep it near saturation, relying on mass flow to push oxygen to the root zone in addition to diffusion.

I am not saying @Emilya s dryback is not an effective technique, just that his research did not show it in this case. This is not my research and I am not selling anything, I just thought it might be of interest.

Caplan also measured the results of drought treatment during veg, and found changes in terp profile but no significant increase in overall production, its in the thesis too.

Note that he is growing in coco/perlite, and its not the usual procedure to allow significant dry back in that medium. The more common technique with coco is to treat it as a hydroponic substrate and keep it near saturation, relying on mass flow to push oxygen to the root zone in addition to diffusion.

I am not saying @Emilya s dryback is not an effective technique, just that his research did not show it in this case.
Seeing the glaring flaws in his study, I find it very difficult to give much merit to his overall conclusions when it comes to growing in soil or when it comes to analyzing the results of going dry regularly. I have proven over and over again that these techniques drastically increase plant size and production while in veg, thereby increasing the final yield and quality, since everything we do with this plant is cumulative. I am now proving that regular dry cycles are beneficial periodically through bloom too. My only conclusion is that the good Doctor knows nothing of my work on establishing a wet/dry cycle with this weed and most likely isn't growing plants as strong as I do on a regular basis simply because he doesn't water properly. If he did, it would be impossible to ignore the benefit of the wet/dry cycle in veg.

Not every scientist wears a lab coat or has been able to publish a thesis explaining their work. I only stepped into this conversation because I think my methods and conclusions on these matters are valid, and I stand by them as a now professional medical cultivator of long experience, armed with overwhelming evidence and documentation that these methods of manipulating this plant using a wet/dry cycle all through the life of the plant, produce profound and reproducible results.

Seeing the glaring flaws in his study, I find it very difficult to give much merit to his overall conclusions when it comes to growing in soil or when it comes to analyzing the results of going dry regularly. I have proven over and over again that these techniques drastically increase plant size and production while in veg, thereby increasing the final yield and quality, since everything we do with this plant is cumulative. I am now proving that regular dry cycles are beneficial periodically through bloom too. My only conclusion is that the good Doctor knows nothing of my work on establishing a wet/dry cycle with this weed and most likely isn't growing plants as strong as I do on a regular basis simply because he doesn't water properly. If he did, it would be impossible to ignore the benefit of the wet/dry cycle in veg.

Not every scientist wears a lab coat or has been able to publish a thesis explaining their work. I only stepped into this conversation because I think my methods and conclusions on these matters are valid, and I stand by them as a now professional medical cultivator of long experience, armed with overwhelming evidence and documentation that these methods of manipulating this plant using a wet/dry cycle all through the life of the plant, produce profound and reproducible results.
Mic drop!!!! You go girl! It’s so funny all all the people who don’t grow good weed will tell you all about what you should do. Ha ha.
Emilya for member of the year! Or you already got that one? Oh, just looked! Lol. You were member of the month.

glaring flaws
Its actually exceptionally good research and is being published by the Journal of Horticulture, most of it appeared already. He has already defended his thesis at a top tier ag school with respected advisors, so no need for it to be done here.

I pointed out his work was entirely in coco/perlite to differentiate from other possibly effective techniques useful for other substrates. I am sure he was not trying to disprove any unpublished grow techniques.

This research was entirely coco centric by design. His studies of various levels of organic fertilizer, and effects on growth rates during veg and bloom, are well worth reading if youre into that sort of thing. The entire suite of projects were selected to investigate specific techniques used in the commercial industry that partially funded his work. Fortunately he is in one of the few places that freely allow academic cannabis research.

tldr; The work speaks for itself, thats why i included the link.

Its actually exceptionally good research and is being published by the Journal of Horticulture, most of it appeared already. He has already defended his thesis at a top tier ag school with respected advisors, so no need for it to be done here.

I pointed out his work was entirely in coco/perlite to differentiate from other possibly effective techniques useful for other substrates. I am sure he was not trying to disprove any unpublished grow techniques.

This research was entirely coco centric by design. His studies of various levels of organic fertilizer, and effects on growth rates during veg and bloom, are well worth reading if youre into that sort of thing. The entire suite of projects were selected to investigate specific techniques used in the commercial industry that partially funded his work. Fortunately he is in one of the few places that freely allow academic cannabis research.

tldr; The work speaks for itself, thats why i included the link.
landmark research in academia, for sure.. but that doesn't make it applicable to what I am doing here. As you say, his research has more of the hydro grower in mind, while I am organic soil based. I am sure after looking at some of his assumptions that there are scads of home growers out here much better at growing in coco than he is, but that is to be expected... he probably doesn't smoke the stuff either.

I am about to harvest 2 varieties in my bloom room over this next week, and I just put all the plants through their last drought... the 7 week one. lol I really did it to them too... leaves were hanging. They are going to bounce right back now that I watered them and we will soon go into harvest. The good Doc would probably get a kick out of what I have been doing to them all through bloom. These are not going to be some of the prettiest plants I have ever grown, but they sure are going to be some of the strongest!

Back
Top Bottom