Leaving your plant in dark

Thank you , yes there was 30 years of love, sweat , and a true passion for gardening. I have better pics over the years but was only able to find the last year in action. I did most of the work so It does not look anything close to what he did with it. I was constantly fighting weeds and didn’t anywhere near produce what that man produced in tomatoes . It was a sad day walking away from this house in November when my mother finally closed the sale . The garden was full of grass and weeds and Bannana trees died all the way to ground. They will bounce back but I’m not sure new owners will ever garden in this little spot but it sure produced a lifetime of memories. Many many vegetable dinners in July from the garden

Show and tell time! Last night we harvested our Gummy Bear plants. One was left under the NextLight MEGA until these pictures. The other one was put into the corner of the room, just getting reflected light from the lamp 8 feet away, for 36 hours.

The plant left under the lights:
2021-02-11-182945.jpg

The plant sitting in the corner, in indirect light:

2021-02-11-182740.jpg
2021-02-11-182727.jpg

Sorry for the less than perfect shots, but all three of us confirmed visually that the trichomes on the plant in corner were in general twice as long as what we could see on the control plant. There is definitely a difference between the two plants, and even with the naked eye this difference can just be seen.

Show and tell time! Last night we harvested our Gummy Bear plants. One was left under the NextLight MEGA until these pictures. The other one was put into the corner of the room, just getting reflected light from the lamp 8 feet away, for 36 hours.

The plant left under the lights:
2021-02-11-182945.jpg

The plant sitting in the corner, in indirect light:

2021-02-11-182740.jpg
2021-02-11-182727.jpg

Sorry for the less than perfect shots, but all three of us confirmed visually that the trichomes on the plant in corner were in general twice as long as what we could see on the control plant. There is definitely a difference between the two plants, and even with the naked eye this difference can just be seen.
Notice anything different in terms of smell?

Ok so can you give me a rundown of what to do at end of life . What exactly did you do to achieve these elongated trichomes ? Is there a thread dedicated to this project? I’ll check your page Emilya

Ok so can you give me a rundown of what to do at end of life . What exactly did you do to achieve these elongated trichomes ? Is there a thread dedicated to this project? I’ll check your page Emilya
I wait till I see amber trichomes at the very top of my plants. Then I move those plants away from the direct light, usually into a dark room, immediately after one of their nights. I wait 24 hours after that, and then chop. I have been doing this at the end of my grows for at least the last 5 years, if possible, and I have written about it and posted similar pictures in various journals along the way. I have two more strains finishing up in the next 2-3 weeks, and I will be documenting this phenomenon in each of those too.

Wow , I like what I see and would love to replicate that , I’ll dig deeper

This was his last crop, he passed away 6 months later . These Nanna / plantain trees flowed us on two house moves . Old as 1980 ish . He had 6 blueberry bushes on opposite side of the house
My father’s problem with this garden was the water table from the lake . Anytime we had a real rainy season the tomatoes would die or be sub par. Mild to moderate we had excellent results. I’m certain my father figured this out but was never discussed

C8B5B99E-1F0F-46CC-A5F9-9DD77144EA12.jpeg

63923522-618F-4DEE-8DF7-42CCF6F51371.jpeg

4FD52D16-E65C-4C22-A736-80B6AF2E3D45.jpeg

93B1CB59-ACB3-46F7-B13F-A8DA3F7B40AC.jpeg

BFE25DF9-1DC8-49E0-8BBF-A18D6730F0C0.jpeg
Grow cannabis like your pop grew those tomatoes. Its even easier since its a weed and not a vine with fruit that all the pests love.

Follow your pops soil mix and try it even indoors in plus 6gal containers you be fine.

You have everything in front of you for years. Follow it then make your own path.

Go for quality always.

i just chopped 4 in a tent and i left them in the dark for 36-48 hrs before chop and i found the buds much stickier than the 4 plants i chopped a month before. everything was identical except i didnt leave the first crop in the dark. i didnt take any pics but i found the buds almost wet when trimming the second 4.

Grow cannabis like your pop grew those tomatoes. Its even easier since its a weed and not a vine with fruit that all the pests love.

Follow your pops soil mix and try it even indoors in plus 6gal containers you be fine.

You have everything in front of you for years. Follow it then make your own path.

Go for quality always.
Yes my father cultivated that piece for 30 years . The soil was very rich , black and crawling with life. Unfortunately my mother sold this little gem because I feel like the memories were bringing her down. It was too much upkeep and she wanted to move back up north to be closer to family members. My son graduated HS in May so my mother and I both put out houses on the market and moved clear across the state where my son entered his freshman year of college. Boy was that met with challenges. But we did it . Sold our houses , I moved in with my mother. I just closed on a construction loan and building a clone house my mother sold on a piece of heaven in the north GA mountains. My parents bought 7 acres back in 1972 and always talked of building a log cabin one day. Time went by and so did life. Here we are today . I mention the place in GA because that’s where I wanna get my base soil one day. It’s some fine soil. Until then I’ll just use my trusted source I’ve been using with good results

Just to throw in my two centolas. I just woke up, no yelling.... but trichomes keep maturing for a couple days after the chop, right? I agree that a little time in the dark let’s your plants retain the terps that get burned off under hot lamps. With leds they don’t get as hot so I’m sure they burn off less terps. You guys crack me up! If anyone care to see how I get nuggets that all my friends fight over, come find my journal. I’m trying to make it as simple as possible. Coco for dummies that know how to read. Lol jk. Itscalled @lets grow some funksomethingsomething.

Well if you drop a link I’d be glad to look but I’m afraid I’m gonna say , I’m not growing in Coco. I have my reasons and I’m certain you grow some stellar weed. I did too my second grow. That shit was dripping with greatness. I’m that I will do even better this time . I like soil, I’ve figured it out and want to only inprove what I know . Plus I have way too much money now invested in soil so I definitely don’t want to switch that up
Just to throw in my two centolas. I just woke up, no yelling.... but trichomes keep maturing for a couple days after the chop, right? I agree that a little time in the dark let’s your plants retain the terps that get burned off under hot lamps. With leds they don’t get as hot so I’m sure they burn off less terps. You guys crack me up! If anyone care to see how I get nuggets that all my friends fight over, come find my journal. I’m trying to make it as simple as possible. Coco for dummies that know how to read. Lol jk. Itscalled @lets grow some funksomethingsomething.

I want to start some living organic soil plants but want to do it outside. Inside it will be a pain in the butt. I don’t like the pest possibilities with dirt inside especially with all kinds of organic stuff making it smell. I like coco and Rockwool inside. I’m going to do a weird grow next, a table with a bunch of 1 gal bags of coco/ perlite,ebb and flow. I don’t know how to do all that fancy link to my journal. Sorry. Can one of my 420 homies help me please?how do I make the link to my journal? Someone just put one in their msg before. One minute bro bro.

I want to start some living organic soil plants but want to do it outside. Inside it will be a pain in the butt. I don’t like the pest possibilities with dirt inside especially with all kinds of organic stuff making it smell. I like coco and Rockwool inside. I’m going to do a weird grow next, a table with a bunch of 1 gal bags of coco/ perlite,ebb and flow. I don’t know how to do all that fancy link to my journal. Sorry. Can one of my 420 homies help me please?how do I make the link to my journal? Someone just put one in their msg before. One minute bro bro.
Backflip did a write up on this very topic. I believe it’s in his signature on how you will do this . I can’t remember Myself or I just tell ya. I believe you need to be working from a pc or laptop and need to be in the web site . It’s not difficult but I can’t remember exactly how

I
Backflip did a write up on this very topic. I believe it’s in his signature on how you will do this . I can’t remember Myself or I just tell ya. I believe you need to be working from a pc or laptop and need to be in the web site . It’s not difficult but I can’t remember exactly how
made a link... it’s on the bottom of all my msgs. All I did was copy and paste it and it worked.... shweww! Lol. Thanks bro Ima check him out...

Yes my father cultivated that piece for 30 years . The soil was very rich , black and crawling with life. Unfortunately my mother sold this little gem because I feel like the memories were bringing her down. It was too much upkeep and she wanted to move back up north to be closer to family members. My son graduated HS in May so my mother and I both put out houses on the market and moved clear across the state where my son entered his freshman year of college. Boy was that met with challenges. But we did it . Sold our houses , I moved in with my mother. I just closed on a construction loan and building a clone house my mother sold on a piece of heaven in the north GA mountains. My parents bought 7 acres back in 1972 and always talked of building a log cabin one day. Time went by and so did life. Here we are today . I mention the place in GA because that’s where I wanna get my base soil one day. It’s some fine soil. Until then I’ll just use my trusted source I’ve been using with good results
Ohh my god I got some good stories bro! I crashed a quad right smack into a tree! Going like 50 mph! Good thing we were tripping balls on mushrooms or we probably wouldn’t of survived.

related to the original topic of dark period before harvest, i recently read research that drought stress during the last two weeks will increase the thc levels and some terpenes. He left the plant for 11 days without water, then watered lightly.

“Drought increased the concentration of major cannabinoids tetrahydrocannabinol acid (THCA) and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) by 12% and 13%, respectively, compared to the control. “

i have used this technique, and am currently ripening a grow with it. Thought it might add interest.
Here‘s the reference, its a phd thesis, it is great research with other pertinent topics included. The drought study description is chapter 5.

It is my belief that about every 3rd or 4th watering, even in bloom, that we should wait until the plants have completely dried the container and are starting to go into wilt, before we water. Yes, I believe the plant attempts to protect itself during these so called "stressful" times by building more trichomes, but I believe something more fundamental is happening here, and is why I do this regularly all through bloom, not just at week seven as Dr. Caplan postulates.

I further postulate that Just as in veg, where we know that we need to allow the plants to dry out all the way down to the bottom of the container so as to draw oxygen down to the lower roots to reenergize them as well as to entice the plant to grow more roots, the same "drought" technique is valuable in bloom. I have seen some professional growers refer to this as a "flush" of oxygen, to add vigor to the plants, and they propose that we do an oxygen flush several times during bloom in order to best grow these plants. I find that the results of my last 4 grows confirm this to be a valid method of adding extra growth and quality to these plants and their buds.

Back
Top Bottom