LED lighting question

go4snypr

Broke my 6400k cfl bulb, went down town to replace it and ended up coming home with a 10.5 watt, 5000k "daylight" philips LED bulb..... did I waste my money if I want to use this for seedlings?? reading about them and they are talking about "bands" and such... cant find that any where on the package.... any input.

I don't think anyone has tested the small led bulbs yet to see if they grow weed, so you could be a pioneer in that field. I'd like to know cause you can never have too much supplemental lighting

on its own, it probably won't grow much past the first 7 days from sprout, you would need about 5 - 10 of them as the plant grows and more into flower

The bulb I broke was a 32 watt bulb and was doing great for the little seedlings, I am only growing them to a couple of nodes under this light before I flip them over to my veg room, which has a 600w mh. This bulb is a cold blue/ white light for sure, and I have it 3 inches from the plant. I will get some pics of it later today and put them up. It has the skeleton shape of an old incandescent bulb almost horseshoe like. it will screw into any socket. I picked up one in the 5000k range and one in the 2700k range. The guy at the store was really pushing them, but he though it was just lighting for my house, and I didnt want to tell him I was growing with it.

You could use some red light in a bulb , red light promotes rooting and flowering, blue for veg / growth , but blue will still grow a seedling , without the red light. If you can find a warmer LED bulb (6000k) buy one , it would be more effective to have both the warm and cool.

with the 2 right 10w bulbs you will surpass the CFL in PAR light.

fertilight-led-grow-light-spectrum-1.jpg

5000k (kelvin) in the colour spectrum is around yellow/green & lumen being a measurement of visible light to the human eye.

A CFL of 5000k would peak in yellow/green on a spectral analysis chart with other colours of the spectrum present but at a lower degree.

With a LED domestic bulb of 5000k it is more than likely yellow & green wave lengths ? as LEDS in general give out a said colour in NM with out other colour spectrums involved ? this being an assumption on the basis on how LEDs are made but how ever i've not come across a spectral analysis graph of domestic led bulb yet to show other wise ?

thanks for the link fuzzy duck, the first pic in that link is what my bulbs look like.. I bought a 5000k bulb and a 2700k bulb. the 5000 is way whiter/bluer and the 2700k is more yellow/red. maybe I will just hook them both up. that read was a bit over my head. I understand what it is saying, but not sure how that equates to my grow. My light is putting out 800 lumens, using 10.5 watts. Its a 5000k bulb with a CRI of 80. will it work for early veg??

Fuzzy Duck
The problem is with the box labeling , the manufacturers *often* stray from the reported spectrum and you end up with a warm bulb when you bought a cool one or cool bulb when you wanted a warm one.
Your eyes can tell the difference.

I have household led bulbs and others I know of from online have the same pot luck , pun intended.

Has anyone any ideas about uv and ir led lights, I am just starting my second grow. All i used in my first one are the red and blue but on my second ive added uv and ir. I have 26 2watt red, 16 2watt blue, 22 2watt ir 740/750nm 2 15watt uvb black light,4 2watt uva,38 1watt red,18 1watt blue, output is just over 41.8watt psf, I am not sure how much more uva to add.?

I have seen light manufacturers use the same number uv leds as they do the ir in a 1:1 ratio , but it deserves more looking into as that may not be ideal , at all. Perhaps someone will chime in who has a definitive answer.

I am going to be adding and trying some UVB light , below is a link to a 420 thread with a good Video on UVB

VIDEO LINK BELOW

Any UVB'ers out there?

The white to UV to IR in a 1 : 1 ratio is often seen on affordable LED panels which makes me wonder if there is not a better ratio out there. My cheaper Panels use 7:1 :1 :1 ratio which may be 'outdated' or improved upon my some current Panels.

Maybe ? the latest freshly released LED panels have decided to use a improved Ratio that can be found by searching their website or counting the IR LED diodes when its lit up.

Back
Top Bottom