LED vs. HPS

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00680.jpg

DSC00676.jpg

DSC00670.jpg

OK, Here's the general layout...lights about 5'5 off the ground, no closer than 2 feet at most to tips. All of these are about 2 weeks into flowering.
DSC00660.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

Blueberry
DSC00662.jpg

Thunderfuck X Hawaiian Juicy Fruit
DSC00664.jpg

DSC00665.jpg

Biiiig Island Hawaii Pineapple- This one is out of control
DSC006662.jpg

New moms from clone, also beginning to flower
DSC00668.jpg

Looking at the plants that are almost ready for harvest I'm not to impressed. I really don't see any large colas, atleast nothing comparable to what I get from using HPS lights. The leaves also look unhealthy. Have you been having problems with the grow? What's the wattage of your LED's? I myself have never used LED's myself.I'm not trying to bash them. I am interested in what they hopefully will offer in the future, however I do think they have some time to go before they are worth the money. I can't wait till the day comes when I can get the same intensity of light that my HID's give minus the heat and only use 1/2 the power. I just think we have a couple years to go. I hear NJ is trying to be the pioneer state in LED technology. Let's hope they progress LED technology quickly.

Hola Stix-

Thanks for the comment- Almost finished flowering pics are all from the same plant- It is an autoflowering plant, and had root problems early on (before switching to LED) that were not corrected before it started flowering hard. Honestly, I would've culled it, but I wanted to see finished buds before the rest would be ready.

However, the buds on this plant are extremely dense and resinous, both tops being a solid 1.5-2.5 inches in diameter....everything I harvest from this will be extremely high grade, as I said before very comparable to a Cali Medical Cheese strain. I took small clones early on and flowered them to finish...absolutely delicious, and very potent.

All of the seeds and clones started under LED are far more hardy and robust, and I expect to see very large, sticky buds up to at least 8 inches long. Also, keep in mind that we are not comparing apples to apples here. If you want to see a very large yield like you might get from a hydro grow under a HID, adding CO2, maybe a little more wattage, and your advanced nutrients will fill the gaps. This is organic and minimal added nutrients, as stated before.

As the plant shown is the first one I've come close to finishing under LED, I don't have an exact/avg yield yet, but I will take pictures and weigh that one when finished. This was grown under a 65W CFL to start, then a 90W LED for the remainder. I added the 120W to the 90W to fill out the rest, and I have them set at opposing angles to reach most of the under-brush.

As for light penetration, anything over 90W seems to be able to reach down to the bottom effectively, even with the light source a good 5-6 feet from the plant. The majority of the newer generation all still have their first primary leaves intact and healthy through veg and into flowering, so I would say I'm very happy with that- I will take more pictures in a couple days to show.

Only a few airy/underdeveloped flowers on the first plant, off of branches that were less than 1 cm long when flowering started.

How long did you veg them? How much do you have invested in lights? I kept my LED much closer to the canopy to keep them from stretching but thats a personal choice.
Day 55 veg under LED 24 hrs.
picresizedLEDday55side.jpg

picresizedLEDday55on.jpg

I had to pulll the BG from trying to flower with the LED as it just fell way to far behind. 3 weeks under 12/12 LED it grew 4-5 inches. When I put it under the HPS it jumped up a foot in less then a week. It's to bad you don't have an HPS to do a test and flower a few under it and compare.
:peace:

Oo, those look nice and bushy.
1st set vegged for about 4 months, 2nd about 2. First set didn't really get aggressive until I added the 120W, though, but that has alot to do with how far away the light stays. About a week after I switched over to 12/12, though, I started seeing easily 1 inch growth per day, and TONNNS of stretching. When I culled the big males from this set, in two days the space freed up from them was gone.
Moneys invested in lights so far is about $800.

Is that BG a bubblegum? If so, that is really crazy, because I've never seen one anywhere near that squat...AND it was underperforming the indica next to it??? Yeah, sounds like that one needed more wattage or a different color mix?

I keep the lights as close as possible and aim for tight stacked plants... I don't see much of a difference except yours are stretchy and light.. They are already falling behind.. a 4 month veg??? and they got how tall? If you moved them to an HPS you would end up with this..
Bubblegum2.jpg

:smokin::peace:

Wow IRIEm that's truly amazing. That must of been with flowered with a 600 watt hps, correct?

I have a "superled", which is very similar to the procon100 and the results are at least similar to what I've seen from a 400W hid. You seemed to agree that they were close, at least during veg but I don't get buds that size.

almost 3 weeks under the led, a few weeks under a 400 and the rest under a 600.... She surprised me with the height and weight she put on when I got her under the HPS. It was almost immediate... I could see the changes the day after I switched her... :peace:

And yes, they stayed close, I would estimate a week or so behind, but the plants were beautiful. Lush, great color, big leaves, tight lines and they just seemed to be the healthiest veg plants I have grown... Flowering is a whole different story though...

I really do believe that we will be using LED's in the very near future, we just are not there yet...

Dear Irie-

Why don't you try the inverse...vegging in your HPS and then flower under the LED, but double your wattage, and add white to your color spectrum, and see what happens?

We have obviously established that a 90W-100W LED cannot truly compare to their advertised HID equivs, so up the ante a little if you want to see competitive results. I know exploration can be a little more $$, but we aren't going to get where we want to be by sitting back and waiting for other people. My next planned test is watt vs. watt....if people really want to compare, might as well even the playing field a little. 600W HPS vs. 600W LED- Let the games begin!

Sorry bud, I am not spending another 600-1000 bones on LED lights just to come out with the same result. Sure it may be a little better, but not another grand better.. I will wait until they or you get it figured out, then get another one. I have no problem paying for technology, as long as I get what I am paying for. I have bought and tested my LED and given my opinion. Take it or leave it.. My Procyon will be used for veg and veg only. No more LED test for me, I know what I need to know about them for now..

So, with that being said, Peace to you Johnny, and good luck in your LED quest. I really do hope you or someone will figure them out.. :peace:

You have to be kidding me, you want me to veg under an HPS and then flower under the LED??? Sorry, that makes absolutely no sense to me... You have at it though..

That's cool IRIE,

I pay 35 cents per kwh, so that 600 W HPS that actually draws about 700W would cost me about $90/month to operate vs $10/month for the LED. If power here were cheap I'd agree with you.....

The plants do adapt to the LED, at first the leaves look pink but after awhile they look black. In normal light, it's just a different shade of green. No telling what's happening to the plant really, also there are lots of other pigments besides chlorophyll and maybe something is just missing. Maybe they are getting starved of some particular wavelength, so when you give them the hps they just explode.

I'm getting good results, similar to what I see in a greenhouse, but it's only 5 sq feet.

Here are 5 plants being flowered under the superled.

LEDflower.jpg

The oldest is a blue cheese on the far left, the others are a few weeks behind. Here is a close-up of the blue cheese.

LEDBuds.jpg

They were vegged under ccfl, so perhaps if something is missing they stored up some from then. I don't know, but I am happy with the results I'm getting and the low power cost.

Just got an e-mail from Homegrown lights.. They have their new LED line out, up to 600 watts now... They say it competes with a 1000... But that will be a conversation for another day.. I really hope to see a journal with some of the higher wattage LEDs... The 250 looks nice... I was afraid to look at prices, will take a better look at them here soon.. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom