MH into HID

Herbivore

Hello my question is, can I use a 1000watt Metal Halid bulb with an HPS ballast. I have an HPS ballast and cannot afford to replace it with a metal halid one but wish to have metal halid for vegging. Also I was wondering if metal halids give off any less heat by any chance.

Metal halide is a HID. HID stands for High intensity discharge and their are 3 lights that are called HID. HPS, MH and MV are all HID lights. Out of the 3 I'd personally suggest a HPS but the MH is a close second. The MV is not a good choice at all IMO.

Now after saying this can you please explain your post better? I want to make sure I have things straight.

yess as you can see after I went back and changed my post. I have a HPS bulb and ballast rate now. I heard that MH is better for vegitative state so I wanted to put a MH bulb in a HPS ballast. My first question would be is this safe. My second is MH better for veg(quicker for growing plants). And finally is MH and cooler as my grow rooms getting pretty hot.

yeaa I know about conversion bulbs but at the store they told me lots of people us mh bulbs with hps ballasts that it just wears out the sparker or something. has anyone herd of this being done.

No you can not use a MH bulb in an HPS ballast unless its a switchable ballast. You can purchase a special bulb that is MH. Its called a concersion bulb I believe and that will work fine. However, the use of MH for vegging is not totally needed. I've been growing for years using HPS for veg and flowering both with no problems at all. So, why waste the money on an extra bulb? Buy something else for your grow..........:smokin:

What he said. :grinjoint:

Switchable ballasts are best, conversion bulbs are a cheaper alternative.

While it is true that MH will give better results during veg. then HPS, veg. periods are usually kept so short the difference between using a MH or HPS bulb to veg. is negligible. You could even veg. with CFL's which are effective, run cooler, and use less power. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom