Led

If you look around in this forum you will see a few post I made referring to green light and plant growth. I completely disagree with using it in any form. As far as getting the same results that you got from the 1000 watt HPS, probably. The quantity will be close and the quality will be about the same. However your plants will likely be taller than you expected them to be due to the addition of the 525nm green. Make sure you set the lights to get some cross over between each panel. It will assist in getting a better color blend as well as giving you the third off effect.

If you look around in this forum you will see a few post I made referring to green light and plant growth. I completely disagree with using it in any form. As far as getting the same results that you got from the 1000 watt HPS, probably. The quantity will be close and the quality will be about the same. However your plants will likely be taller than you expected them to be due to the addition of the 525nm green. Make sure you set the lights to get some cross over between each panel. It will assist in getting a better color blend as well as giving you the third off effect.

Actually I am going to be using the 546w panel over a 4 x 4 table drip fed 14 plants and the 290w panel I bought over a 3 x 3 with 8 plants generally I grow from cutting from my mothers with 10-14 days of veg and then flip under the combo of mh for the veg then switch to hps my plants would average around 30" . However my new grow area is a 6 x 6 x 8 room and a 4 x 5 x 8 room which with a table height of 20 inches given the 9 inches required for the panel ( width of panel and 6 inches rec clearance) gives me a safe clearance for plants no taller then 4 feet tall.
So height shouldn't be a problem but thanks for the heads up I may instead decide considering the fact you said there will be extra height to go with less plants and scrog them to maximixe bud growth.

One question that is really bearing on my mind is that every thing I read about led growing is there is a decrease in water and nutrient use so was wondering if you have seen this for yourself , considering I am used to plants that are able to take up to 1600ppms or 1.7 ec , and then reading journals that show incredible yields with nutrient uses roughly a third of what I would expect so was hoping you could shed some light on the claims of lower nutrient use?

check em out now boys

w30.jpg

w30.jpg

7716.jpg

7716.jpg

7815.jpg

Cateros,

I've been following your posts for a while now. I remember a post you had a long time ago that mentioned that you thought that you thought there would always be a need to mix different type of lighting to create a good blended spectrum. Have your thoughts changed on that?

I've always been a believer in LED's and think there isn't much use for other lights. They've come a long way, and they continue to get better and better! ...Just wondering if your thoughts have shifted?

Bothof

There are a few reasons that you have less nutrient and water usage. The first is pure temperature. With HPS systems the temps on the plants are higher. They perspire more and therefore uptake more water and nutrients. How much of that 1600ppm is your base tap water or are you using RO water and have 1600 ppm. Remember hard water makes your ph raise and therefore you add more ph down adding to your ppm count. Likewise if the air quality in the room is poor the plants will open up more and transpire more again causing a higher intake of water.

As far as your lights go, you are at (or slightly below) the bare min of what I would suggest for light coverage with a good LED panel.

Awesome kg..! From my 5 little bonzai, I ended up with 4.4 oz of dank, and just under 1 oz of dank shake. Very pleased with results. Buds are a little fluffy, but the batch I grew last winter with a 250 watt HPS were a little fluffy too. I made brownies with the shake and they have been great for pain and getting to sleep. I used a crock pot with warm feature to infuse vegetable oil for the brownies, left in crock on warm for 32 hours. I've been going thru an RA flare the last 3 weeks, and the brownies have been a big help, especially with sleeping in pain. I consider my first round with LED a victory as well.

There are a few reasons that you have less nutrient and water usage. The first is pure temperature. With HPS systems the temps on the plants are higher. They perspire more and therefore uptake more water and nutrients. How much of that 1600ppm is your base tap water or are you using RO water and have 1600 ppm. Remember hard water makes your ph raise and therefore you add more ph down adding to your ppm count. Likewise if the air quality in the room is poor the plants will open up more and transpire more again causing a higher intake of water.

As far as your lights go, you are at (or slightly below) the bare min of what I would suggest for light coverage with a good LED panel.
I use Ro water and get up to 1600ppms by the end of flower ,so with the lower transpiration do you think the feed times with ebb and flow should remain the same ? generally I would flood 4 times a day during veg and 3 times a day during flower under a hps . As for air quality I run a sealed environment and supplement co2 at 1200-1500ppms and Keep the temps around 85 lights on.

Not so much my opinion but my needs , as my grow room is now very irregularly shaped I would need at least 2 600w hid lights to cover all my canopy so while heat from 1k hps I was able to deal with before now I need to run a bit cool room and also want to keep odour contained as well so am running a sealed enviorment and supplementing co2 , because of this I feel running a panel that draws 300w and a panel that draws 540 will keep the room at a more manageable temp , But If I had a huge amount of space I think I would choose to use run 4 x 8 tables with a 600w mh 600w hps and led's .

Back
Top Bottom