Life Sentence For Marijuana Farmer

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
GAINESVILLE, Ga. -- A north Georgia man convicted of conspiracy to grow hundreds of marijuana plants in and around the Chattahoochee National Forest has been sentenced to life in prison.

Federal prosecutors say 45-year-old Andrew N. Cox, formerly of Blairsville, had two prior drug trafficking convictions. Normally, the latest would yield a 10-year sentence, but U.S. District Judge William C. O'Kelley applied the life sentence Thursday for what U.S. Attorney David E. Nahmias ( NAH'-mee-as ) called Cox's "third and final strike."

Cox and three others were accused of cultivating marijuana in 2004, using a landscaping business as a front.

The others pleaded guilty in 2004 and 2006. Cox was a fugitive for three years before being captured Feb. 13, 2008, in Casa Grande, Ariz.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Macon Telegraph (GA)
Copyright: 2009 The Macon Telegraph Publishing Company

the son of a bitch!!!!!!!
Now, now, his mom may be just as disappointed in her little Cox. One of these days she will get tired of hiding her little herb garden from sonny boy. Mom, its time to take him to the woodshed.

Ooops, my bad. Fingers moving faster than the brain.

This is one of the worst USA sentences I have ever heard of. Did this guy piss off the wrong person or what!? If I lived in that state I would most definately start a demonstration followed by a petition. I mean ya the guy did do the crime but now they are expecting him to do a rediculous amount of time. hes only 45 right now that means at least a good 20 years locked away. I know he never saw this coming or he would've walked away. Or perhaps left the country because this world is too big to stay in the US and risk life inprisonment.

And this is part of the downside of 3 strikes and you're out. Originally the law was designed just for violent offenders, now its being used to jail anyone they want for whatever they want. Perfect example of why the majority of laws in this country unconstitutional.
Live for someone hurting no one and growing a natural plant? What kind of a sick society have we become?

The BIGGEST waste of money time and fellow Americans!! Cannabis prohibition.....

Where the simple essence of a plant has given a life sentence to a man, that committed no act of violence against another human being.
What say thee to a sentence then of a man who does commit an act of violence upon another human being, like the guy & gal who are the Hip Hop living together business couple, and in the current news.
What a waste of US Tax Dollars as well, Life for a Plant. Does not the Cannabis plant give life of its own to millions around the universe?
Define Irony: (To the new guy in prison) Hey whatta ya in for and how long a stretch? Reply: ah, raising plants and life. Whatta you in for? Manslaughter, doin a nickle stretch, killed some broad driven drunk one night.
What in The Cannabis Goddesses name has gone on in our society that would allow this ever to take place? We must keep moving forward with progressive determination and education to as many as we can. When is enough, enough?

Unless we are not being given the hole story, this will be over turned on appeal. The three strikes rule is meant for violent crimes. In which all three crimes involve a weapon or a threat of possible harm.This guy lawyer should be disbarredon the grounds he is a idiot. This law is pretty clean on this matter. It can't be given for just having three feleonies. If that were the caase, you would get life in jail for a thrid dwi (although thats not a bad idea) but the country is full of those

He wasn't prosecuted at the state level. The Feds did him in. There have been no changes in the Federal law, only state laws and the feds have made it clear that as far as they're concerned nothing's changed for them. They will continue with vigorous prosecutions until federal laws are changed.

This is an example of our double system that shows the problems with our country.

If you are rich, connected, or work in Washington you are above the law. I just heard that Obama is not going to pursue the ones that broke some very serious laws. I think they should all be tried including Bush but this proves not every American is subject to laws. Just the guy who grew a weed to try and pay his way in life. Now these pricks are putting this guy in jail for life? For growing a weed that should have never been made illegal. I am getting so tired of our dual system. It is time we hit the streets for some justice.

CFJ

Dear Fellow 420Mag Tokers,

If you are tired of the way that our government and judicial system treats marijuana "offenses" then please do something about it. Check with your local Norml or MPP offices and see what you can do. Discuss marijuana with as many people as possible in a constructive manner and refrain from reinforcing the prohibitionist views of "us". Please speak to your family, friends and local politicians and let them know that cannabis is the answer to everyones prayers. If we were farming hemp then the millions of unemployed or under employed would have CAREERS and not jobs. My life has been full of violent crime paid for by gangs and the cartels shedding innocent's blood and I will no longer sit quietly and wait for my maker. The world is very big but your local community is not. Start spreading the word and it will catch like wildfire. If we all speak up and not act as if partaking in some herb makes you a misfit in society the movement will gain ground. Have you noticed all of the marijuana comments on TV and the radio? Our underground movement is headed towards main stream media and dining room tables across the world. Speak up OFFLINE at your schools, hospitals,train stations or anywhere else that you frequent. An arrest for marijuana is expensive but Freedom of Speech is PRICELESS. I pass out flyers and MPP pamphlets everywhere I go and openly discuss prohibition with whomever has an opinion for all of us at 420magazine.

Legalize It in Illinois!!!!!!!

FREE ANDREW COX

Back
Top Bottom