Lighting Issues?

UntamedFox

My grow closet

I still need a ventilation system, or maybe not cuz it's only one plant. The issue I have is lighting. I bought a meter that tells me pH, nutrient levels, moisture and sunlight levels. It says the sunlight level is a 2/10. I thought three halogen bulbs, two bright whites and a back "grow light" would be enough, maybe too much. This meter says that the light they are putting out is equivalent to a very cloudy day, in which case the plants aren't getting enough light... is my set up fine and the meter could be off? or is the meter right and three halogens isn't enough? The seedling is about a week old and seems to be growing fine, but this is m first plant. Any advice??:thanks:

thanks guys! I know i need a new lighting system, but what's the best?? maximum light from minimal size...? what is hps?

go to a hydro shop website or two and read the lighting guides

halogen bulbs aren't always the best for small spaces if venting is an issue i would reccomend CFLs the highest wattage that will fit a normal socket and both the warm and daylight color temperatures [warm color temps 3000K ; daylight color temp 5000K these are ballpark nums] if you find you are using more than 200 watts in CFL's you should look at HID lights [MH or HPS] these lights put out lots more light per watt than others but they need a special ballast and they generate HEAT

actually mixes of warm and daylight flouros give more usable light than a "grow light "for less $$ per bulb

I'm only growing one plant, it's a feminized seed, so little to no worries there. This is not a permanent structure for a grow room so I don't wanna super heat the thing. I read that HPS lights give off a shit load of heat, and I don't want that. Also, they're really expensive, and money is an issue. I found a type of LED light that puts out blue and red wavelengths and is pretty bright. It only costs like $50, and I could install a temporary light fixture. The HPS system is really complicated, needing seperate boxes and reflectors... too complicated. I'm trying to keep it simple, any suggestions?? the room is 2'x2'x3' tall.

thanks for all the advise! I ran out to walmart today to get a light fixture and a light. I ended up figuring out a lamp stand I can raise and lower would be perfect if i can get a CFL with high enough lumens. Sure enough I was able to do it! I found a nice stand and a CFL that puts out 2700 lumens, which is pretty damn good. It took about 5-10 seconds for the light to reach maximum brightness, but now that all three pipe hallogens are working with a super-powered CFL, i think there's enough light... we'll see after i test the environment.

I'm having trouble viewing my pix i put up on here, they don't show up.

Photo_46.jpg
Photo_5.jpg

HA! found out that the pix have to be put on 420 first, then they can be put into forums!

That's a nice setup for a 2 foot plant. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Have they come up yet> the seedlings?
Get that CFL down within a couple inches of the top of the plants.

but now that all three pipe hallogens
Say what?
Hallogens are the wrong thing to use in those fixtures.
You just need some plain ol' florescent cool whites and warm whites.
They come as high as 40watts per tube now days.

That's a nice setup for a 2 foot plant. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Have they come up yet> the seedlings?
Get that CFL down within a couple inches of the top of the plants.

Say what?
Hallogens are the wrong thing to use in those fixtures.
You just need some plain ol' florescent cool whites and warm whites.
They come as high as 40watts per tube now days.

sorry, yea, i didn't mean halogens, i meant fluorescents. And I can't lower the light enough to go right over the plant, but I have a separate lamp for that until the plant grows that tall. It's about 5" now i think, a week since the beginning of germination i think...

Photo_8.jpg

Like I said, I have a special, adjustable light I used real close until the plant gets too tall.

I'm not entirely sure, but on the sunlight meter I have, it's a 6/10. That means moderate to good sunlight. The new CFL is a 9/10! i am gonna have to get another, but i'm waiting for a paycheck. Each light fixture is like $20, and i'm broke!

That is a halogen lamp man. Seriously do some reading before you go any further with the growing. You clearly do not even know what sort of lighting you actually need. I'm not saying this to be mean, but rather to save you from wasting a lot of time and money, and going through a lot of heartache thinking you will succeed when you probably will not.

That said, the fluorescent tubes are a great idea. I am growing with tubes mounted vertically. That halogen lamp over the pot must go as mentioned above, but add more CFL lamps or more tubes(my opinion, more tubes). With the right sort of humility, you might manage to make this actually work.

That is a halogen lamp man. Seriously do some reading before you go any further with the growing. You clearly do not even know what sort of lighting you actually need. I'm not saying this to be mean, but rather to save you from wasting a lot of time and money, and going through a lot of heartache thinking you will succeed when you probably will not.

That said, the fluorescent tubes are a great idea. I am growing with tubes mounted vertically. That halogen lamp over the pot must go as mentioned above, but add more CFL lamps or more tubes(my opinion, more tubes). With the right sort of humility, you might manage to make this actually work.

I've actually done a ton of reading. I've read, probably, one of the most extensive guides on growing marijuana ever written. If you know of a better guide let me know.

I said the whole "halogen" thing cuz i was high at the time. I know lighting cycles, nutrient levels, soil compositions, watering systems, lighting set ups, lumen levels, how to clone... The fluorescent tubes I was working with weren't putting out enough light, so I was just asking for some advice for how to get more light in the closet. I knew about HPS lamps. I had read about them but didn't want to use them due to the massive heat output and cost. I wasn't gonna say, "shut up, you don't know anything" to the guys that offered me advice because that would be rude, though I see you have no problem doing that. I am a beginner, I've already said that. This is my first plant. Stepping in and acting like a pompous know-it-all is a real jerk move. You might not have wanted to sound "mean", but you just sound like a real asshole. Still, thanks for your advice, I know that the light is supposed to be within a few inches of the plant, but I don't have the resources to pay for a system that allows me to lower and raise lights and such. this is also not a permanent enclosure. That's why I can't put all types of complicated stuff in the closet. I know what I'm doing, but this is my first time and I thought I'd double check my steps before I proceed onward. That's the type of person I am, I double check myself before stepping forward, that way I learn how to do things correctly the first time. I know I will need another CFL light in there, but not right now with the plant so small. again, thanks to all the people that have been offering me helpful advice :thanks: It's much appreciated:peace: the other reason I come on here for advice is because I can't tell any of my friends I'm growing because it's too dangerous, so I come on here to ask for advice anonymously.

And those side tubes are really crappy, they're like 17w T8 bulbs; small and not very powerful, though they say "75w brightness while using less energy". I didn't know that using just any 2' florescent bulb wouldn't be enough, but guess what? lesson learned, I move on and know not to make that mistake again. but at least they give a little side light to the plant, even if not the main source of light. And, that little light that I do have is a halogen, yes, but it has a UV filter glass in front of it. Now, I don't know how that light would be particularly bad for the plant, but If someone knows, I would be happy to hear it so that I can not use it anymore. I have plenty of humility, I'm asking for help. If the advice is going to be condescending like MajicCannabus's, well, at least it's still advice I guess.:bong: lets all just chill out and smoke a lil bit

go to a hydro shop website or two and read the lighting guides

halogen bulbs aren't always the best for small spaces if venting is an issue i would reccomend CFLs the highest wattage that will fit a normal socket and both the warm and daylight color temperatures [warm color temps 3000K ; daylight color temp 5000K these are ballpark nums] if you find you are using more than 200 watts in CFL's you should look at HID lights [MH or HPS] these lights put out lots more light per watt than others but they need a special ballast and they generate HEAT

actually mixes of warm and daylight flouros give more usable light than a "grow light "for less $$ per bulb

This is an example of awesome advice, thanks zolar!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom