lighting my veg and clone cab

sillymoose1

Hi was wondering if a 175watt Metal halide is powerful enough for my area. Or could I potentially use it in a larger area. Its currently in a cabinet roughly 3 square feet. I'm trying to add pictures.

20150210_130520.jpg
20150210_130527.jpg
20150210_130538.jpg
20150215_181451.jpg

OK so that's gives a bit better idea of what I'm working with. The plan is to use the MH up top as veg area and the bottom area in pictures as a clone area with CFLs. However if the MH can supply light to a bigger area I want to get a grow tent for veg and have 2 stages of clones in that cabinet in picture. In theory the bottom would still be for fresh cuttings and the top would then be used for rooted clones using cfls till they graduate to the veg tent.(2x2 or whatever 175 watt MH will cover.) Thanks guys.

3 square feet would work pretty well for Vegging the plants you have there.

If I remember correctly, MH should have about 50w/sqft. You're at about 3.5 sqft of coverage in a 3sqft area, and that's great.
Here's a chart to give you an idea of the distance the light should be from your plants. Assume seedlings start near the further distance from the light (11"), if not even further and then closer as the plant gets older, up to about 4". The chart reflects light intensity only, and you'll still have to take appropriate action to ensure that the heat is vented out of the cabinet.

Metal_Halide_chart11.jpg

I would get rid of the foil, although reflective, it can cause hot spots and damage plants. Flat, or Matte white works fine. Or many people use mylar to line their grow boxes. This is the same/similar material as is used on windshield sun screens people put in their cars, and can be found pretty easily, and cheap at discount stores.

And for flowering, I personally prefer training plants to grow shorter and wider, opposed to thinner and taller. I find there's a much more even light penetration that way to all bud sites. With that being said, I try to train my plants to fill in an area approximately 4 square feet each, which means if I had your plants, I would need at least 44 square feet in a flower room :)

What kind of lighting do you have planned for flowering them? The type of lighting you choose will have an impact on how you allow them to grow.

Thanks. I put an emergency blanket up BC someone told me that was mylar. Its smooth on the back wall but hard to get smoothe on the sides because there are different areas I can adjust the shelves with. My plan is a perpetual grow with clones eventually and of course hopefully throw a washed up mother or auto in there. My flower room is 3.5 feet by about 5 feet. With the plan of two mars hydro 300s to start, unless I'm lucky and get this mars 2 700. Waiting for the babies in solos to get a bit bigger before I start a journal. And for the inaugural test run of this setup just bagseeds. This is my second grow, the veg cabinet is same as last grow but new flowering area. Last grow flower area constantly ran hot and made stringy airy buds.

I started so many seeds hoping I could get at least 2 strong females

Mylar blankets: Not sure bud. I see a mixed bunch of some people saying yes to them, and a few people saying no. I haven't tried them myself personally, so I can't speak from personal experience.

I do know that flat white paint seems to be the favorite wall covering though. Why not try it out and see how well it works? Worst case scenario, you'll get some burned leaves, and have to tear it down.

Ahh growing regulars, that explains it. Carry on good sir :rollit:

I don't know about lumens, but fluorescent lighting, people tend to agree on about 50 watts per square foot. But I don't fully agree with this. In a clone, or seedling situation it works great.

But for larger Vegging and Flowering plants, I think that figure needs to be adjusted based on the plant's canopy area, and surface area.

Back
Top Bottom