Lights - Then & Now

tribesun75

I didn't know where to put this topic but this seems like the best place. I would like to know if the majority of growers stay "true" to their beginnings. This is mainly involving lighting. For instance: If you started out using CFL's, are you still using CFL's? HPS - HPS etc. Being as we are creatures of habit, I thought I would try and find out how much we really stick to our roots.
BTW I'm new to growing and am CFL'ing.:popcorn:

Welcome to the growing world!

I myself started out using CFL's for my primary lighting sources too. It seemed to work great for the veg cycle. Also being a able to have multiple light sources and strategically place them around the grow room was good too.

I then switched to HPS for my main lighting source(s) and then used CFL's as supplimental lighting sources. The compact and semi cool design of CFL's lets us put them closer to the lower budding branches and fill out the entire plant. Rather than having a top heavy plant from using just top lighting sources.

Another reason I switched my main lighting source to a 150w HPS is that you get more lumens/watt. I may be off but from my memory the 150 hps max lumens output was like 16000 lumens. Having a greater output of light also means more heat generally too. HPS and MH lamps are true to that statement.

There is a grow journal, called poor mans cfl grow i believe, that uses only cfl lighting. The yeilds and plants were very impressive in this grow. You should check it out and maybe talk to the grower about light placement and the type of cfl and or shades.

Hope I could help a lil bit and happy growing. Keep us informed please.

I do want to look into a MH/HPS system. Maybe accent with cfl's for good measure if needed. I'm waiting on work right now, so it's difficult. Thanks for the replies btw, started to think I posted a stupid topic. :peace:

I got my set up for $400.00 back in the day... Worth every pennie paid for them selfs 100 x over.......... with the 1000w set up no need for supplemental lighting 10 x 10 room 15 plants..........:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom