Lights??

i have been using both MH and HPS through out my whole grow this time. the only thing i change is the light cycle

From what I've read, the absolute best light to use to grow with and get the best results for energy used is suppose to be the 600watt HPS. How true this is is probably up for debate but it's suppose to produce the most lumens for the amount of energy used over all other HID's.
The new high output compact Fluros are probably the best "soft" light to use but need to be kept right on top of the plants and don't even come close to the penetration one gets from a HID. I'm sure there are opinions that differ from mine though so you might have to do some research to find out for sure.

lol race u ass i was typing that in a rush b4 work.... phishing if you have a household thats running a powerbill out the ass anyway, id go with cfl's for a nice small grow personal grow, if your gonna grow some MAD weed for selling and personal smoke for a long time then go hid. check out my sig its my grow using cfl's in my kitchen to closet.

delicato420 said:
CFL's and flouro tubes are much more energy efficient then HID's. You just need more of them.
I disagree. They may use less power to run but the bud from floro grown compared to HID will be smaller and usually fluffier. A HID is more efficient at growing bud. To get the most bud per watt or amp used a HID will do it better and faster than a floro IMO. If floros were more efficient wouldn't the commercial and big time growers be using them over HID's?
I'm not saying floros aren't good to use. I've used them. I started indoors with 4 foot 80 watt floros and still to this day use two 65watt ligthts of america compact floros to veg clones and start seeds with. They have a place in growing and are being improved on every day as well but as of right now I'd have to say HID's are best and the best HID is the 600watt HPS when it comes to lumens produced compared to watts used.
Now I'm going off what I've read and learned over the years. Things may have changed and I may be outdated or even wrong but if so I haven't heard anything that contradicts what I know from any of the known experts or lighting manufacturers recently.

You disagree that flouros are more energy efficient then HID's?

Dont get me worng HID's are the best for growing bud. Especialy for bigger and commercial grows. But they cost more, are harder to cool, easier to spot thermaly and are much more expensive to run.

Flo's emit 75 lumens per watt
HPS emit 125 lumens per watt.
Therefore, HPS is far cheaper to operate than flo's.
They will need ventilation, but you should ALWAYS have ventilation no matter what kind of lights you're using, so the plants can breath/transpire.
HPS will give you twice as much and more potent weed vs, flo's.
In my experience, a 600-watt HPS with an EYE bulb upgrade is the best spectrum, most efficent light you can use.

Those are some pretty rough estimates. Lumens don't even come in to play when you are trying to figure out how much electric energy a bulb uses. Amperage, Wattage and Voltage are the things you need to look at.

HID's are much better for growing plants, and you will get bigger and better quality buds from them. But they are not cheaper to run.

lumens is NO way to decide whats best for your power bill.......hid cost WAY more to run then cfl's QUESTION answered. hence the reason im using about 162 w of power and am growing 3 plants, spent 30 bucks....hid $299 for a 250w hps only. the BIG TIME GROWERS...are growing for the mass's and often dont live in the place they are growing AND have a bigger chance of getting caught because of the power hid uses. cfl's = cheap and easy, the way to go if you dont have HUNDREDS of dollars for hid lights and proper ventalation that they require.

honestly the only lights you will ever need are daylight cfls...for veggin...and soft white cfls for flowering....now depending on how many plants you have you will have to get more lights and such....now if your a little more serious you can still veg on daylight cfls...and theres nothing wrong witht hat but to flower you should use hps

flouro's are not more energy effecient then HID's. They are however MUCH more energy effecient then incadescent bulbs. Yes in a small closet grow room when your only using a couple flouro's, they are cheaper to run because your not using alot of wattage. If you compare a 400 watt HPS light to 400 watts of flouro's. You get alot more lumens out of the HPS. Therefore it only makes sense that the HPS light is more energy effecient.

(1) 400 watt HPS bulb is 50,000 lumens
(1) 400 watt Hortlilux HPS bulb is 55,000 lumens
(1) 400 watt NRG HPS bulb is 59,000 lumens

you would need 666 watts of flouro's to get 50,000 lumens.

I understand that some people like to use flouro's for various reasons

1) small closet with poor ventilation and cant deal with the heat
2) don't want to put out the initial expense of a HPS light
3) can easily obtain any flouros from almost any hardware store
4) just starting out and are not ready for HPS
5) think flouros are just as good as HPS.

For the hobby grower flouro's will work fine for flowering. But, from my experience, if you want the best you can possibly get out of your grow I would suggest using an HPS for flowering. I know some people will disagree with me and that's fine. That's what this site is about. The more opinions the better....In my opinion :smokin:

I'm not saying you can't get good results using flouro's, but on the grand scheme of things HPS is more energy effecient and has more canopy penetrating power to get to the little guys under the canopy. IMO

Back
Top Bottom