Little ventilation question for you pro's

Newnugz

Hey everybody! So I have a 4x4 grow in a room built into my garage. It's canadian winter so I can't exhaust the room directly and pull in -25 air. I keep the door closed and the room is only 8x10. I have two plants in veg but that is about to go up to 8 or so. I'm feeling the air will become very stale. The room isn't sealed perfectly and air naturally diffuses in and out but not at a very fast rate. How do solve my fresh air problem in winter? Will they be fine just slower or will they eventually use up the co2 supply until concentrations become fatally low? I know the Lower concentration will mean it will diffuse In at a faster rate but it's still mostly sealed... What do you guys recommend?

"Life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead".
Check out my grow journal at Newnugz's First Grow - Morpheus - Crown Royale - Blue Cheese & AK49 - 1000W HPS

Would a bag of exhale work?

"Life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead".
Check out my grow journal at Newnugz's First Grow - Morpheus - Crown Royale - Blue Cheese & AK49 - 1000W HPS

Ok, so... Is $ a issue? Can you spare some? I would suggest (if not already have) Enclosing your room in "panda plastic", It will help seal everything in.. It works great to hold warmth & humidity in, especially if you have a light in the room. Now go get yourself a cheap 15-25$ temp/RH meter to actually know what's the true temps in the room are. Instead of just "feeling" it. lol, Two small "clip on fans" (10$ each, Walmart )You do not have to worry so much about bringing air in the room as long as you have a fan or two in the grow area on osculate and a good exhaust leaving the grow area/room. (you have a smaller sized room so you can use a cheap exhaust from Canadian tire if you don't already have one. 250-400cfm is good for a 8x10 area, but if you already have one the better.) To help the humidity increase add a bucket of water into the room. (if ample enough space is there) Now if you play with the "door" to find where the enviroment levels out (but keep it closed during rest hours). Also make sure the floor of the grow area is double wrapped in the plastic and the pot's are elevated off the ground. I'm not sure if this will help you, but in my childhood day's back in Newfoundland this is what I did in my garage. As you know, Newfoundland get's cold and allot of snow. But I framed a room and used the "panda plastic" as walls and a door. I just rolled it up using velcro which helped balance the enviroment. The more closed the door was the more humid it got. ;) , (I forgot to also mention by a cheap small heater to keep the temp at a moderate level)

I hope you can adjust to this idea, because it will save your garden. I've been there and done it. lol Canada is rough on us in the winters. We just have to live and learn.. OR learn from others mistakes ;) If you have most of these materials try applying this method and see how it works. :Namaste:

I should have included more info haha I have 3 fans in the room including a duct fan pulling hot air from enclosure (corner of room with panda poly and a 4 foot piece of osb creating 3 walls with open front into rest of room) duct fan mounted at top of wall i erected to ensure air moves throughout room nicely. I use a humidifier with a humidistat that shuts off at 60 percent. I have a infrared (as not to remove humidity) space heater that is rigged to a thermostat and it turns on should temps drop below 68 degrees. So heat and humidity are near ideal as enclosure sits around 75 while ambient room sits at 68. The heater never turns on during lights on as the 1000w bulb produces enough heat for the ambient room to stay at 68-70. The heater is just there as a backup in case my lights fail one day and to keep temps up during lights off. Ideally I'd like to be able to keep door to room closed so I can hook up a carbon filter to a 400 cfm squirrel I got and just mount that apparatus above plants so no stinky air can get out of room. When it is summer months I can reroute exhaust out of the room but if I pulled in 400 cfm of winter air I will literally freeze room!!! But considering I already have in place what u suggest do you think I will be ok running 8 plants with that air? It's stale but well circulated and temp/humid is good.

I should have included more info haha I have 3 fans in the room including a duct fan pulling hot air from enclosure (corner of room with panda poly and a 4 foot piece of osb creating 3 walls with open front into rest of room) duct fan mounted at top of wall i erected to ensure air moves throughout room nicely. I use a humidifier with a humidistat that shuts off at 60 percent. I have a infrared (as not to remove humidity) space heater that is rigged to a thermostat and it turns on should temps drop below 68 degrees. So heat and humidity are near ideal as enclosure sits around 75 while ambient room sits at 68. The heater never turns on during lights on as the 1000w bulb produces enough heat for the ambient room to stay at 68-70. The heater is just there as a backup in case my lights fail one day and to keep temps up during lights off. Ideally I'd like to be able to keep door to room closed so I can hook up a carbon filter to a 400 cfm squirrel I got and just mount that apparatus above plants so no stinky air can get out of room. When it is summer months I can reroute exhaust out of the room but if I pulled in 400 cfm of winter air I will literally freeze room!!! But considering I already have in place what u suggest do you think I will be ok running 8 plants with that air? It's stale but well circulated and temp/humid is good.

:bravo::lot-o-toke:

Well that makes a world of a difference. So now I know you're up and running good. haha! Yes. You'll be more then ok. One of my rooms I use for 'project grows' is only 8x6.5x8 tall. (without a proper exhaust currently, just fans and using the door method. But it's a very clean enviroment.). I have had 10 sativas in there and everything went off without a hitch. You're more then ok. ;)

I wonder if passive diffusion of co2 through wall seams and around door are enough for 4x4 of plants in a 8x10 room?? And if not will a bag or two of exhale produce enough co2 to keep room levels acceptable. Essentially that is my question. I know plants produce co2 during cell respiration but considering that carbon from co2 is assimilated into biomass I can only conclude the plants net metabolism uses more co2 during photosynthesis then is released during cellular respiration so my gut tells me they would eventually exhaust the co2 in the room. I see u got away with it but you also mention that you use the door method. So If the door is open a bit you are exchanging air. My current set up the door to my room stays closed other then when I open it to check on my plants and blaze a hundred times per day lol so the room gets burped slightly. when I open door to leave or enter I feel the cool air move in and room drops a few degrees so there is some exchange but not completely. And of course some days I'm not at home much and door gets burped less often. Am I overthinking this? Will 4x4 of plants even dent the co2 in 10x8x8 room?

I wonder if passive diffusion of co2 through wall seams and around door are enough for 4x4 of plants in a 8x10 room?? And if not will a bag or two of exhale produce enough co2 to keep room levels acceptable. Essentially that is my question. I know plants produce co2 during cell respiration but considering that carbon from co2 is assimilated into biomass I can only conclude the plants net metabolism uses more co2 during photosynthesis then is released during cellular respiration so my gut tells me they would eventually exhaust the co2 in the room. I see u got away with it but you also mention that you use the door method. So If the door is open a bit you are exchanging air. My current set up the door to my room stays closed other then when I open it to check on my plants and blaze a hundred times per day lol so the room gets burped slightly. when I open door to leave or enter I feel the cool air move in and room drops a few degrees so there is some exchange but not completely. And of course some days I'm not at home much and door gets burped less often. Am I overthinking this? Will 4x4 of plants even dent the co2 in 10x8x8 room?

Ya. Honest opinion here brotha, and I mean no harm. Love for all,. even you. But you high as fk! Way over thinking it haha. You have over double the size of space then whats being used. Now if you grew sativa's in there and just let them sit on a 10-14 week veg then switched em, maybe they would grow to big (depending on strain) and use up all the co2. But this isn't the case. Wayyy to much exaggerated thought process going on over there haha! :rofl::loopy: Shmoke another one ;) I'll join you!

Back
Top Bottom