Long Beach Fisherman Spins Tale Of Fish, Drugs

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
At first glance, Shaun Morey said he wasn't sure what they were.

So, he moved his boat closer.

"They were floating bales of marijuana," he said.

During his more than 20 years fishing in the Sea of Cortez, Morey said that twice he's seen bales of marijuana. At first, spotting them surprised him, but then they made him think, he said.

"I thought to myself, 'How would I do it?' 'How would I smuggle this?'" Morey, a Long Beach resident, said.

Then, he said, he jokingly came up with the idea of shoving the marijuana down the mouths of dead fish and stuffing their bellies with the drug.

That fishing experience soon inspired Morey – a published author – to write a novel based on that very idea of drug-stuffed fish. Several years later, that story would turn into "Wahoo Rhapsody," Morey's second book.

Morey describes "Wahoo Rhapsody" as a "funny, tongue-in-cheek satire" about a deckhand who decides to steal from a drug lord and escapes death through the help of an American expatriate.

The protagonist of the novel is Atticus Fish – a play on the famous character Atticus Finch from "To Kill A Mockingbird" – an attorney who flees the United States after being condemned by religious groups for literally suing God.

"Atticus is eccentric and a nonconformist," Morey said.

The inspiration for Atticus Fish's character came from Morey's years studying and working in law. Morey hasn't always worked in law, though.

Throughout his life, he's held a number of jobs, including bartending, teaching tennis and even being a fishmonger at Whole Foods in Long Beach.

"It's fun to be able to say I was a fishmonger, I liked the work," he said.

But, after a summer of fish mongering, he was ready to get back to work on his novel. After numerous rejections and edits, he finally finished the book and it is officially released July 5 by AmazonEncore, Amazon Publishing's flagship imprint. The contract also came with a three-book deal – Morey is currently working on the book's sequel.

"It was a little hard to stay motivated," Morey admitted. "But, I've learned to embrace criticism; criticism can be tremendously helpful and I use it to make future writing better."

Reviews of Morey's book have for the most part been positive, he said, with some reviews giving "Wahoo Rhapsody" five out of five stars.

Morey's first book was "Incredible Fishing Stories," which has sold more than a half a million copies.

The book is compilation of interesting and unique fishing stories from fishermen of all walks of life.

While Morey said he enjoyed writing non-fiction, his efforts are now directed to his fiction writing, which he said he is thoroughly enjoying.

"I've always written and always wanted to make a living as a writer," he said.

Morey will be hosting several book signings and release parties in Long Beach, beginning with an event from 7 to 9 p.m. on July 7 at Viento y Agua Coffee House, at 4007 E. Fourth St.

Morey will join three other authors for a book signing from 7 to 9 p.m. on July 28 at Fingerprints' Book-a-Palooza! And, there will be live music at the event played by The Goodfellas. Fingerprints is at 420 E. Fourth St.

At 2 p.m. on July 30, at Apostrophe Books, located at 4712 E. Second St., he will join Tyler Dilts for a tandem book signing.

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: gazettes.com
Author: Cristina De Leon-Menjivar
Copyright: gazettes.com
Website: Long Beach Fisherman Spins Tale Of Fish, Drugs - Gazettes.com:

Back
Top Bottom