Looking for best ways to support OG Kush outdoor

Snerval1

I would appreciate input from those who already are successful outdoors growers of OG Kush.

This plant produces fine, dense clusters of buds, yes, but usually on stems that are way-too weak to support the weight. I've used various structural supports such as strings, chicken wire fencing, even deer net to make enclosures to prop-up the plants. This has been mostly successful, however, I don't want to think I'm able to come-up with the only ways, or perhaps even the best way to brace this fine strain.

So, I ask other ganjah gardeners what are their preferences for physically supporting the OG Kush they grow.

Thanks one and all, and may 2011 be the best season for us all...so far!
Snerval1

P.S. Hmmm...the Kush strains originated in the Hindu Kush Mountains, yes? I just can't visualize such a (now) delicate plant living in such windy conditions as exist in these mountains. Somewhere along the way did a breeder select-out this strains' stalk and stem strength for the sake of increased resin/THC yield? That would, at first glance, appear to be an incomplete hybridization: phenotype selection, though done best selecting for one trait at a time, still is well capable of selecting for numerous advantageous traits...it just takes more time. This might be where some separation between casual growers and serious breeders happens.

With 52 weeks in a year and OG Kush taking a full 12 weeks to finish a complete germination-veg growth through flowering cycle (one month to germinate and then vegetative grow before putting into a nine week flower), this equates to a wee bit more than four harvests a year. Let's say an ultra sturdy stalk&stemmed strain such as Blue Dream was selected for the male pollen source...using recurrent backcrossing with the saved pollen from the best (sturdy) BD male (your P1 male), not breeding a new male for each cycle. To start with what is being sought is greatly improved stalk&stem strength from within the successive generations of BD x OGK in this first stage of the breeding program...yes, always looking for that seed(s) that show both stalk&stem strength and the original HI resin and dense bud structure, too. Law of averages says it's not impossible to hit the jackpot, so to speak, with the F1, or first generation after mating the P1 male to the P1 female, however, same law says don't depend on it. Secret here would be the number of seeds produced from each pollenation=the more seeds the larger the number of phenotypes. Still, within four generations, about one year, astute breeders should see plants that are substantially stronger, strong enough to support throughout bloom the colas building on them. In the mean time each harvest will still be producing quality smoke, so not much, if any, is being lost during this process.

Final part should be fixing all the qualities we so love in OGK back into the production plants...that is if any of those qualities were "lost" while strengthening the plants' limbs. With enough seeds (seriously, a hundred or more seeds need to be germinated at each stage of this program!), selecting for a new male (this would be the second P1 male, the pollen source for subsequent breeding cycles), with strong resin presence on the leaves around its flowers...with, of course, sturdy stalk&stems...to be crossed with the best female plant(s) from the remainder of the seeds is how to finalize the new, stronger-limbed plants. Here you are using the same male pollen to produce subsequent generations of female (F!, F2, F3....), or recurrant backcrossing. This is how "hybred vigor" is established and expanded upon!

Now you have reset the plants' genetics back to what most likely it looked in its original form, only improved! Further back-crossing with the second P1 male pollen, with discerning, will narrow down the phenotype expressions so that within year 2, or so, you have fairly uniform plants from seed to seed, and have selected-out any BD traits, if any, that are unwanted. Further manipulation, say, for feminization, I leave to others to contribute to this.

Never accept the status quo...that's entropy.

Hey Bro I grew OG Kush outdoors this past Summer....

IMG_072310.JPG

IMG_08287.JPG

My plants were not very big, maybe 5' tall so i was able to use bamboo gardening stakes I found at Home Depot but I did'nt need them until about week 6 of bloom.
I have another big Kush plant in a greenhouse right now and it's doing good with a big tomato trellis.
If you plan on growing big plants (6'+) you should be fine with the big & tall bamboo sticks but you'll probably need three or four per plant.
I hope that helps! :goodluck:

:thanks: Big Up! 420 Bandit;

I am impressed at your photography, more impressed with the plant you photographed, and most impressed with the trichomes all over the plant. Do you prehaps have a picture of the fully mature plant on day of harvest? Close-up of one of its buds nicely cured & trimmed?

Yum yum yum.

If you have the time I think a number of others would gain from some photos of your bigger plant staked-up, one picture is worth a thousand...

Raspect,
Snerval1

I do not know if this will help you but this is what I do with spindly stemed strains ( C-99 )

First, while its still in veg, supercrop your plants. That is deliberately damage the stems so as to force the stems to get thicker and able to support more weight. This slows down the veg cycle a bit, but the rewards are worth it. Hormones are released in the plant that cause it to consentrate growth in the stems creating a stronger support for your buds. I also use the 4 ft. bamboo sticks to add additional support as needed. Building a trellis system with 1/2 pvc is also a popular way to give your plants additional support and is easily modified to each plants needs ( if its not glued together ) I've seen pictures of outdoor scrog systems that have impressed the heck out of me with the volume of harvest that is achieved. Something I intend on tryin this next grow season.

Good looking plants, I hope my OG turnes out as nice this year.

QUOTE=grew same variety last year...awesome resin, huge production...support system: used concentric rings of used field fencing (it was free and easy). After each new foot of growth in all directions, added an additional circle of field fencing. Easy to train branches horizontally through the spaces for maximimum width (and hence production) as well. Much simpler than staking individual limbs. Had 0 breakage, easy support. No mold. Neighbors are spending hours staking each limb....that seems so labor intensive.[/QUOTE]

So how mant layers of fencing did you end up using per plant? Did this make it difficult to tend and water your plants? sounds kind of like a 360 deg. scrog.
???
Tell me more, I'm interested in this,. Any disadvantages to this method?

I grew O.G. Last year and had no real problems with spindly branches. I supercropped the heack out of it though. I used wood props where it looked like support was called for. ( I had a bunch of scrap trim and corner board that was laying around the yard ) Bamboo works good as well. And a whole bunch of that green pvc plant tie-um-up line that can be picked up at any nursery or wall mart.

I've seen people use netting, or field fencing to surround and enclose the plants, letting the branches find their own way through the holes. It looks doable to me, but also looks like it would make the plants harder to attend to.

Just my own ideas. What works for one may not work for somebody else.

I currently have two OG Kush outdoors and their branches are pretty solid. However its Larry OG x Bubba Kush and most people probably use a different cross of OG Kush.

They both do not have any supports at all currently and have survived 50 MPH winds without a scratch.

Yeah, it should stabilize itself when the stem becomes woody, and if it has gotten good air flow then the support issue should be non-existent. Atleast that's how it is looking for my outdoor OG. Happy Growin fellers!

Back
Top Bottom